cure-real
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Old Testament book or part and why?

Re: Favorite Old Testament book or part and why?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    How can Abraham be the first Jew, when Judah wasnt even born yet?
    We can't just have a thread where we post an opinion? Everything has to become a debate? That's great.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Favorite book is Ecclesiastes.
    Favorite character..... tough one.... Samuel.
    Woot !

My favorite book is Job
    My second favorite is Proverbs
    I didnt know the link didnt work

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    We can't just have a thread where we post an opinion? Everything has to become a debate? That's great.
    I think most of us understood exactly what you were saying and chose not to split hairs about it. If you want to get technical the NT states that natural circumcision is of the Jew and Abraham was the first one circumcised....so technically,you are correct.

Blessings to you my friend

Blessings

and Popcorn

"You can make the scriptures say whatever you want if you torture them long enough"

Ecclesiastes is by far my favorite book of the Old Testament. When I moved 1000 miles from my hometown the day after graduating high school, I felt so alone and life seemed so meaningless. Solomon's words sounded so true to me. I also enjoyed the cynical, philosophical style of the book. 12:1-8 is the one piece of Scripture that can send a shiver down my spine. Me and Solomon have similar personalities as well - curious, intelligent, scientific, peaceful, etc.
    Dext3r Ministries, my ministry blog.

Epic God is epic!

You are the Lord, our God. May I live by faith for you.

Blog Entries

I really like the major prophets and the book of Proverbs. It's hard to pick one favorite.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Blog Entries

I love so many of the people in the OT. One of my favorites is Hannah in 1 Samuel.
    1 Samuel 1:27-28-"For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of Him:Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD."
    -In 1986 I too asked the Lord for a child, a son with a similar promise that I would raise him to know and walk with the Lord and one day give him back to the Lord for His purpose
    -In 1987, I gave birth to my son and I kept my promise. My son is now in ministry and loves the Lord with all of his heart.

1 Samuel 2:19-"Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year to year.."
    -When my son went to college where I gave him back to the Lord...to this day I buy him a new suit coat or jacket every year.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

My favorite book in the Old Testament is Genesis because it is packed with very many short stories that so beautifully reveal to us the contrast between the character of God and the character of man when he rebels against God and His will.

My favorite character in the Old Testament is Abraham because he typifies the man who believed God and received His blessings—the most important of which is the righteousness that comes through faith.

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    So what is your favorite OT book or which is a favorite part (person, situation, miracle etc) from the OT and... why?
    I don't have just one, but I would say Genesis is one because I love being able to see how the world began and how humanity began. Those are questions that everyone wonders about and we have the answers to those often asked questions right there in Genesis. Also, when it starts talking about Noah it shows how God blesses those who trust in Him but also shows what God has done to the wicked of this world in the past (destroyed them with a flood) which should serve as a warning about what He will do to the wicked of this world in the future (destroy them by fire - 2 Peter 3).

Besides that, my favorite parts of the OT are the prophecies regarding Christ. I love Isaiah 9:6-7, Psalm 22 and Isaiah 53, for a few examples.

This is a hard question because there are so many great lessons and hero's in the bible. It's hard to say I have a favorite book or part but, after letting the question peculate for a bit, I'm going to have to say the book of Judges and Samson.

Why? Because for me it seems to have the message that even a broken or bent person can still be used by God for His glory and that even when we have fallen to the depths by our own fault God can and will still use us and answer our prayers if we call out to Him.

Or maybe my favorite would be the book of Genesis and Abraham. Why? Quite simply Abraham is the perfect example of perfect faith in God. I still pray to have
    the faith Abraham displayed when tested by offering up his son Isaac.
    Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood
    was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
    Lamb of God, I come, I come.

THE BOOK OF JOB

It is a picture of the most righteous person needing salvation.

It shows that God is serious about sin. (Job 33:22)

It shows that you can’t be your own saviour. (Job 40:14)

It shows that there is a needed ransom for your soul. (Job 33:24)

It is the first picture of being born again, the rebirth. (Job 33:25)

It shows a repentant sinner accepting God’s righteousness. (Job 42:6)

It is only the second book to name Satan by name, and has more information about Satan than any other book with perhaps the books of Ezekiel and Revelation. (Job chapters 1,2,40,41)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    I really like the major prophets and the book of Proverbs. It's hard to pick one favorite.
    I forgot to answer the second part. I think my favorite person in the OT is Daniel, and my favorite parts are the servant passages in Isaiah, and several portions of Ezekiel, including the first part of Ezekiel, and Ezekiel 37.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Quote Originally Posted by Youssarian View Post
    Ecclesiastes is by far my favorite book of the Old Testament. When I moved 1000 miles from my hometown the day after graduating high school, I felt so alone and life seemed so meaningless. Solomon's words sounded so true to me. I also enjoyed the cynical, philosophical style of the book. 12:1-8 is the one piece of Scripture that can send a shiver down my spine. Me and Solomon have similar personalities as well - curious, intelligent, scientific, peaceful, etc.
    Yay ! "Ecclesiastes"

God bless.

Genesis it has so many types and pictures. Favorite character of OT um... either Abraham the pattern we have to follow or Samson because of the uniqueness of the Word given to him, it seemed contrary to all previous instructions to Israel and even when all thought Samson was sinning he had the courage to do Gods will, and who has a submissive wife? :-)

Thread Information