cure-real
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    So Jesus / God, is going to commit themselves to our material world forever?....Dont think so.
    Jesus ascended to the Fathers right hand to prepare a place for us...in his Fathers house.

    Jesus in his ressurected state ,didnt need to use doors, and walls couldnt keep him out of a room.
    The material world wont have a place ,all things become new.


    It's perfectly fine to disagree and all, but just saying you don't think so, that hardly proves you're right and that I am wrong. If you're interested in trying to show how that you are right, you could start with post #20 of mine, then show how there are no contradictions there. You also mentioned Jesus went thru doors and walls like a ghost might, but failed to mention how Mary was able to touch Jesus, and that Thomas was able to thrust his hand into His side, etc? IOW I don't see your point.
    Last edited by divaD; Feb 27th 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Typos

  2. #32

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    I'm under the impression that some, or maybe even many, believe Jesus will never set foot on earth again. This doesn't necessarily mean that these are concluding He's not coming back, it's just that He's not setting foot on the earth again, forever I guess. This to me is illogical. I think the argument is that there are no Scriptures that support Jesus setting foot on the earth again. What about putting two and two together via Scriptures tho, the same way one might conclude Jesus is God, not because there are Scriptures that clearly say this, but because that's what the Scriptures add up to? So now I'm interested in how widespread this conclusion is, that Jesus never sets foot on earth again. If anyone in here comes to that same conclusion, why? What makes you believe that is true?
    One of the passages that suggests Jesus will not physically return to this earth is;

    1 Thess 4:16-17
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    KJV

    Another passage that seems to harmonize this same thought is;

    John 14:2-3
    2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
    NKJV

    This passage might also help;

    Col 3:1-4
    3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
    3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
    4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
    KJV
    Paul

    "It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry"
    Thomas Paine

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    What I'm beginning to wonder then, why is a new earth going to be needed, or any earth for that matter, since no one will allegedly be dwelling in it eventually? One can't be where Jesus physically is, which wouldn't be the earth according to some, and then be on the earth at the same time. So what is the point of the new earth? Is it going to be vacant like mars ..just kind of sitting out there in space..taking up space? Why a new earth then where there dwelleth righteousness? Why would righteousness need to dwell where no one will even be dwelling? Doesn't anyone ever think things through anymore? I'm sorry, but I can't help but wondering, it's just that I'm always thinking outside the box. Maybe some just don't think the earth would be good enough to dwell in forever? Some folks always have to have something bigger and better I guess...never satisfied with what they have

  4. #34

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paccls View Post
    One of the passages that suggests Jesus will not physically return to this earth is;

    1 Thess 4:16-17
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    KJV
    The key here is that these will always be with Jesus, not always be up in the air. That is only an initial meeting place, but Christ does return to the Earth with these people as part of his army.

    Another passage that seems to harmonize this same thought is;

    John 14:2-3
    2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
    NKJV
    "Mansions" are symbolic of something else:

    2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

    Here our human body is likened to a "house" and our spiritual body of the resurrection as a "building of God".

    Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

    Though Jesus was a carpenter's son, I do not believe he is literally speaking of building a house in heaven for us but this being a reference to what 2 Corinthians 5:1 touches upon.

    This passage might also help;

    Col 3:1-4
    3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
    3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
    4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
    KJV
    This merely speaks about not caring about worldly things rather than the Earth not being a place where we shall live forever. Heaven is a temporary abode of God.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    The key here is that these will always be with Jesus, not always be up in the air. That is only an initial meeting place, but Christ does return to the Earth with these people as part of his army.


    .

    This is a good point. I wouldn't think anyone would conclude they all stay suspended in mid air for all eternity. It's only logical that they would have to be going up or down. My guess would be down, meaning the earth, since that's where 2 Peter 3 indicates righteousness will dwell post Christ's 2nd coming. Righteousness already dwells in heaven where God is. So it would be a moot point for it to mean heaven. So like you indicated, in the air, that is only a meeting place. They all still have to go somewhere from there tho.

  6. #36

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    This is a good point. I wouldn't think anyone would conclude they all stay suspended in mid air for all eternity.
    Some people do believe that.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,627

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Some people do believe that.


    Seriously? What exactly do those that believe that think we will all be doing for all eternity suspended in mid air?

  8. #38

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Seriously? What exactly do those that believe that think we will all be doing for all eternity suspended in mid air?
    Just an inbetween heavenly realm flying around with angels and harps I suppose.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Posts
    14,928

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    I'm under the impression that some, or maybe even many, believe Jesus will never set foot on earth again. This doesn't necessarily mean that these are concluding He's not coming back, it's just that He's not setting foot on the earth again, forever I guess. This to me is illogical. I think the argument is that there are no Scriptures that support Jesus setting foot on the earth again. What about putting two and two together via Scriptures tho, the same way one might conclude Jesus is God, not because there are Scriptures that clearly say this, but because that's what the Scriptures add up to? So now I'm interested in how widespread this conclusion is, that Jesus never sets foot on earth again. If anyone in here comes to that same conclusion, why? What makes you believe that is true?
    I believe that when Jesus returns He will burn up the earth and renew it (2 Peter 3:10-13) which will result in the ushering in of the new earth. Then He will step foot on the new earth (which would be this earth renewed, not a completely new and separate earth from the earth we're on now). So, I do believe He will set foot on earth again but not before He first renews it.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    1,874

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    I believe that when Jesus returns He will burn up the earth and renew it (2 Peter 3:10-13) which will result in the ushering in of the new earth. Then He will step foot on the new earth (which would be this earth renewed, not a completely new and separate earth from the earth we're on now). So, I do believe He will set foot on earth again but not before He first renews it.
    Rev 20:11 suggests that heaven and earth fled away from Gods presence....and NO place was found for them again. The old earth would have a place if it was used to create the new. The old flees from the presence of God, while we are caught up in it, in the new Jerusalem that descends out of Gods heaven all prepared.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    I'm under the impression that some, or maybe even many, believe Jesus will never set foot on earth again. This doesn't necessarily mean that these are concluding He's not coming back, it's just that He's not setting foot on the earth again, forever I guess. This to me is illogical. I think the argument is that there are no Scriptures that support Jesus setting foot on the earth again. What about putting two and two together via Scriptures tho, the same way one might conclude Jesus is God, not because there are Scriptures that clearly say this, but because that's what the Scriptures add up to? So now I'm interested in how widespread this conclusion is, that Jesus never sets foot on earth again. If anyone in here comes to that same conclusion, why? What makes you believe that is true?
    I am a non Premillennial, and non Dispensational believe.

    I believe however, that Jesus will physically return; just as He left, and that He will definately step foot on the Earth again.

    The only difference in my view and the view of Premillennial Dispensationalism; is that I believe when Jesus does Return, He will remove the curse of sin and death from the creation; and the Earth will be a place of righteousness and perfection; peace and harmony and joy in the Lord....not a place where sin and death will continue to plague the planet for another 10 centuries, and muster a rebellion of wicked Christ-rejectors that is larger than any army ever formed.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Posts
    14,928

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Rev 20:11 suggests that heaven and earth fled away from Gods presence....and NO place was found for them again.
    That's figurative language, though. That is not meant to be taken literally but you appear to be doing just that. I see no reason why that can't figuratively be referring to the heavens and earth being changed and renewed so that "the former things are passed away". With the former things being "death...sorrow...crying...pain" (Rev 21:4). You know that scripture teaches that the meek shall inherit the earth, right? What is your understanding of that? When will it happen and for how long will the meek inherit the earth? Scripture indicates that this earth will be changed, similar to how our bodies will be changed. We're not getting all new bodies. These bodies will be changed (1 Cor 15:51-54). Similarly, there will not be an entirely new, separate earth. This earth will be changed.

    Heb 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: 11They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; 12And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

  13. #43

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder
    Rev 20:11 suggests that heaven and earth fled away from Gods presence....and NO place was found for them again.
    What about the text suggests that this is meant to be interpreted literally? How can heaven and earth 'flee' from God if they aren't alive? John is speaking with poetic hyperbole, echoing Psalm 114: God has brought Israel out of its oppression in Egypt, and in response to God making a new nation, the sea flees, the Jordan river reverses course, the mountains jump to escape, and the hills run like frightened lambs, causing the very earth to tremble in fear.

    Or, briefly: God judged Egypt, which caused the sea and rivers and mountains and hills to run away in fear when God established Israel. John borrows the poetry to describe: Jesus judges the dead, which causes the heavens and earth to run away in fear when Jesus establishes the new Jerusalem.

    Within John's vision, yes, the old heaven and earth flee to make way for the new heaven and earth... But it's a vision, combining poetry and symbolism. John isn't saying that the universe will consciously and physically run away from God.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Crum, WVa
    Posts
    67

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    I am hard pressed to believe that Jesus will ever step foot on this earth ever again. The elements are to melt with fervent heat. The heavens will pass away with a great noise. The heavens will "roll up" like a giant scroll, etc. Hard pressed to find a earth left for Him to step upon, IMHHO.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ADELAIDE
    Posts
    1,874

    Re: Will Jesus literally set foot on earth again?

    Hi Markedward and John 146.

    You maybe correct, and i can live with that, because the lord is going to be there. I dont care one way or the other.

    Im just thinking that we inherit the Fathers kingdom, and this existed before there was this present heaven and earth. Jesus ascended to the glory that he had before the world began, to prepare a place for us there...outside of the created universe. Maybe that is why it all dissolves and the elements melt because no place is found for it anymore.We now living with God where he has always been living..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Will God literally destroy the earth again?
    By Chris38 in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Apr 27th 2011, 09:41 PM
  2. Discussion God did not come on the earth as Jesus to bring peace
    By dim2 in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 3rd 2010, 09:13 PM
  3. If Jesus was on earth today...
    By Freek in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: Feb 11th 2010, 06:55 AM
  4. Was Jesus deity on Earth?
    By RabbiKnife in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: Nov 10th 2009, 04:12 PM
  5. What would Jesus do? (literally)
    By Bex4Jesus in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jan 23rd 2009, 09:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •