cure-real

Thread: Churchless :(

Churchless :(

I am a relatively 'new' Christian so I do not have a particular Church that I have been with for a long time. In addition to this, recently I have moved around lots and so haven't had the chance to stay at one particular church for a length of time. I am so happy that I have found Jesus and devoted my life to God, and I want to be a part of a church to celebrate this and continue my learnings. I have settled into an area of my city and won't be moving for a long time so I am ready to start looking for a church. There are a few churches that appeal to me and with whom I share their values and beliefs, but I'm too scared to just rock up to a church alone I hate being a newcomer, it causes me so much anxiety. I have prayed to God to give me courage to attend a new church alone and meet some new friends but I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't know where I have this fear and where it comes from and I know it's silly. I just feel so alone, I have no friends who share the Christian faith with me so I will have to begin this journey alone... well, I know God is always with me but I feel alone and scared. I don't know what to do. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Blog Entries

Re: Churchless :(

I can relate to this feeling Like you, I move around a lot and often find myself the new person in church. Right now I'm attending my local church for convenience, but I've only been attending about 4 months, and I'm shortly about to move again, so another new church is on the horizon! I too hate walking into churches myself, I know it's silly, but I get nervous the first time I go What I have been known to do,and I did it with the church I'm in now, is to attend the prayer meeting or bible study first. It is usually a much smaller group,and everyone's always happy to see me! Then once I know a few faces from there, I feel much more positive when Sunday comes around. I know the folks from the bible study/prayer meeting are looking out for me, and usually one of them invites me to sit with them!

Maybe you could look into doing something like that?

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Hi Indueseason,

Thank you so much for your response It's nice to know that other people have been through the same thing and felt the same way.

I have the same problem, in that I get really nervous! I've been thinking about attending the prayer meeting/bible study first. I have a fear of not being welcomed though. I don't know why I just hate being new to things! A couple of churches I've investigated have newcomers afternoon teas and such, so I might look into attending one of those.

I'm still really nervous though, and it is hard bringing up the courage to take the plunge...

Isaiah 41:10 says "
    fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Don't be scared to go somewhere new and try to worship with them. There's always a fear of fitting in at first, but He won't let you down, especially if you are trying to do something like join a Bible study group

Too bad they don't rate churches on Yelp like restaurants; then you could find out which ones are friendly.

Thread Information