cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did King Saul die?

How did King Saul die?

1 Sam 31:So Saul took his sword and fell on it. 5 When his armor bearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword and died with him. 6 Thus Saul died with his three sons, his armor bearer, and all his men on that day together.

2 Sam 1: “How do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan are dead?” 6 The young man who told him said, “By chance I happened to be on Mount Gilboa, and behold, Saul was leaning on his spear. And behold, the chariots and the horsemen pursued him closely. 7 When he looked behind him, he saw me and called to me. And I said, ‘Here I am.’ 8 He said to me, ‘Who are you?’ And I answered him, ‘I am an Amalekite.’ 9 Then he said to me, ‘Please stand beside me and kill me, for agony has seized me because my life still lingers in me.’ 10 So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown which was on his head and the bracelet which was on his arm, and I have brought them here to my lord.”
    When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

Re: How did King Saul die?

The narrator in the first verse is the author of Samuel.

The narrator in the second verse is the young man.

Who do we find more believable?
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Quote Originally Posted by keyzer soze View Post
    1 Sam 31:So Saul took his sword and fell on it. 5 When his armor bearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword and died with him. 6 Thus Saul died with his three sons, his armor bearer, and all his men on that day together.

2 Sam 1: “How do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan are dead?” 6 The young man who told him said, “By chance I happened to be on Mount Gilboa, and behold, Saul was leaning on his spear. And behold, the chariots and the horsemen pursued him closely. 7 When he looked behind him, he saw me and called to me. And I said, ‘Here I am.’ 8 He said to me, ‘Who are you?’ And I answered him, ‘I am an Amalekite.’ 9 Then he said to me, ‘Please stand beside me and kill me, for agony has seized me because my life still lingers in me.’ 10 So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown which was on his head and the bracelet which was on his arm, and I have brought them here to my lord.”
    The first verse is what the Bible says. The second verse is the record of what the Amalekite said. I would trust in the first verse.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

looks to me like in 1Sam saul fell on his sword, altho it was a fatal wound he still lived. in 2Sam saul saw the amalikite was passing by and called to him so the amalikite would finish him off.
    Christianity is a leap of faith, not the abandonment of logic.

Quote Originally Posted by 1of7000 View Post
    looks to me like in 1Sam saul fell on his sword, altho it was a fatal wound he still lived. in 2Sam saul saw the amalikite was passing by and called to him so the amalikite would finish him off.
    but verse 5 says "he was dead".... can we trust that to be true?
    When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

thanks all, that is what i figured. i guess we are left to speculate why the guy would lie in 2 Sam and not come clean.

I just don't see the problem myself. Clearly 2 Sam 1 goes into more details about the account than does 1 Sam 31. It would be like someone saying "he got ran over by a car and died". Unless someone adds some details to that, we might assume he died right there on the scene. Now suppose someone else that was there, later said the following? "he got ran over by a car and died, after he failed to recover while in OR later that day". Does that then make the 2nd person wrong, because the first person failed to mention all the details? I'm always baffled when folks think parallel accounts are contradicting one another, or that one account is false, and the other isn't, when it's not that way at all IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    I just don't see the problem myself. Clearly 2 Sam 1 goes into more details about the account than does 1 Sam 31. It would be like someone saying "he got ran over by a car and died". Unless someone adds some details to that, we might assume he died right there on the scene. Now suppose someone else that was there, later said the following? "he got ran over by a car and died, after he failed to recover while in OR later that day". Does that then make the 2nd person wrong, because the first person failed to mention all the details? I'm always baffled when folks think parallel accounts are contradicting one another, or that one account is false, and the other isn't, when it's not that way at all IMO.
    So who killed the king? I read 1 Sam to be Saul clearly committed suicide by falling to his own sword. Clearly 2 Sam says the Amalekite killed him. There can be only 1 killer right? Are you suggesting that the Amalekite is indeed the killer and they simply left that out of 1 Sam because it seems that the majority are inferring that the Amalekite is lying...

Continue to read... for you will soon discover that the young man stated this to fool David, for which what for David's reply.... [I don't ant to give it away just yet,,, ]
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    Continue to read... for you will soon discover that the young man stated this to fool David, for which what for David's reply.... [I don't ant to give it away just yet,,, ]

Are you drawing your conclusions from verse 14?

2 Samuel 1:14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD'S anointed?

If so, notice what verse 16 states.

2 Samuel 1:16 And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD'S anointed.

Why would his blood be upon his head for simply trying to fool David by what had happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    So David is killing him for his claim and not the actual act... do you go so far as to believe that David knew he was lying? Seems kind of strange that David could know this yet he didn't know they were dead to begin with.

I do believe that the author of 2 Sam is not actually stating that David put him to death for the act itself, so I am guessing that is where you are going with this. That is pretty subtle though, not something that jumps out at me very easily...

So David is killing him for his claim and not the actual act... do you go so far as to believe that David knew he was lying? Seems kind of strange that David could know this yet he didn't know they were dead to begin with.

I do believe that the author of 2 Sam is not actually stating that David put him to death for the act itself, so I am guessing that is where you are going with this. That is pretty subtle though, not something that jumps out at me very easily...
    Hi KS,

Forgive me for not telling you the answer directly, for I think reading it for yourself will give you so much more understanding than my declaring... I will say this... Read verse 1 and take notes and then read down to verse 8 and see what David now hears. Compare Vs 1 with verse 8, you then should see why David did what he did [Hint: Ex 17:14]

Blessings....

So who killed the king? I read 1 Sam to be Saul clearly committed suicide by falling to his own sword. Clearly 2 Sam says the Amalekite killed him. There can be only 1 killer right? Are you suggesting that the Amalekite is indeed the killer and they simply left that out of 1 Sam because it seems that the majority are inferring that the Amalekite is lying...

I haven't taken the extra time to fully read both accounts in context, tho I have read both accounts in the past, just not lately. So what would be his motive for lying?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    I haven't taken the extra time to fully read both accounts in context, tho I have read both accounts in the past, just not lately. So what would be his motive for lying?
    Whether or not the Amalekite actually was a party to Saul's death, I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Amalekite anticipated gaining favor with David; both for putting the king out of his misery, and returning the crown to the new king. Whether he did as he said, or merely happened on the scene after the fact, the Amalekite may have thought he had something to gain. We might also consider that whether or not he did kill Saul, he testified before David that he did--which was the basis for his being condemned.

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner55 View Post
    Whether or not the Amalekite actually was a party to Saul's death, I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Amalekite anticipated gaining favor with David; both for putting the king out of his misery, and returning the crown to the new king. Whether he did as he said, or merely happened on the scene after the fact, the Amalekite may have thought he had something to gain. We might also consider that whether or not he did kill Saul, he testified before David that he did--which was the basis for his being condemned.
    Yes. And what else?

Thread Information