cure-real
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Traveller's Guide

Re: The Traveller's Guide

33 – “A Thousand Guineas if You’ll Take Me In”

When the steamer London, which was bound for Melbourne, with some hundred passengers on board, foundered in the Bay of Biscay, a thrilling tale was told by the few survivors, of a lady who offered a thousand guineas to be saved. The great steamship was fast settling down amidst the heavy seas, and all hope was given up except for those in the only boat that was safely launched. The lady had refused to get into the boat when she had a chance, but after it had got but a very little way from the side of the sinking steamer, seeing that she must go down with all the rest on board, with a face livid with horror, she piteously cried out “A thousand guineas if you’ll take me in”. But money – even millions – then was valueless. It was too late – she was lost, through rejecting the offer.

34 – Do You Believe in Dreams?

A man dreamt long ago that he saw Satan seated on his throne, and his evil spirits gathered round him, waiting for his commands. Satan asked who would go forth to ruin the souls on earth. “I will go” said one spirit. “How will you do it?” he was asked. “I’ll tell them there is no God” “That will not do, men know there is a God. Sometimes they deny it to their fellow men; but deep in their hearts they know there is One, and that they must face Him some day. They may try to stifle the thought, but when sickness or death comes, it isn’t so easy to do so. That story will not ruin them.” ”I will go” a second spirit said “I’ll tell them there is a God, but that He is Just and Holy, and that they are too bad to come to Him”. “That won’t do” repeated Satan “Their very need will drive them to Him. Beside, while there are Bible’s left in the world they have only to read how God invites them, sinners as they are, to come to Him and receive everlasting Life. I want something more clever than that to ruin men”. Once more the dreamer heard the terrible question ring through the darkness. There was a pause, then a third spirit said “I will go. I’ll tell them that there is a God. I will let them hear the Gospel as often as they like. They must know of God’s Love, they may read of the Son of God giving Himself to die for them. I will not hinder them from knowing Salvation is a free Gift of God and not of works. They may hear it all. I’ll tell them it is all true, but I’ll tell them there is time enough to think about accepting God’s offer.” “Go forth” said the prince of Darkness “you will be successful”. And today his message of destruction is being whispered to thousands. Only a dream? That plot to ruin your soul was planned in Hell. Remember, Eternal Life is offered to you today – not tomorrow.

35 – Are You a Sceptic?

It is told of a celebrated lecturer how, after he had concluded his lecture in a village, he challenged those present to discussion. Who should accept the challenge but an old bent woman, who said “Sir, I have a question. Ten years ago I was left a widow, with eight children utterly unprovided for, and nothing to call my own but this Bible. By it’s direction, and looking to God for strength, I have been enabled to feed myself and my family. I am now tottering to the grave, but perfectly happy, because I look forward to a life of immortality with Jesus in heaven. What has your way of thinking done for you?” “I don’t want to disturb your comfort, but . . ” “Oh, that’s not the question, keep to the point sir. What has your way of thinking done for you?”

The mother of Hume, the philosopher, was once a professor of Christianity. Dazzled by the genius of her son, she followed him into the maze of scepticism. Years passed and she drew near the gates of death, when she wrote to her son “My health has failed me. I am in a deep decline. I cannot live long. Your philosophy affords me no comfort in my distress. I am left without hope or consolation, and my mind is sinking into a state of despair. Write to me the consolation that philosophy affords at this dying hour.”

Men may live without Christ, but they cannot die without Christ. You may scoff at the words ‘heaven’ and ‘hell’ but they are solemn realities. Why be wise for time, but a fool for eternity? Your life could be Saved by the death of another in your stead. God loved you enough to give His own Son to torture and death for you. But this is God’s Plan. If you reject so great a Salvation, there remains nothing for you but fearful Judgment . . .

36 – My Substitute

When I was a boy, I saw a man tied to a cart, and dragged through the streets with his back torn and bleeding from the lash. It was a shameful punishment – for only one offence. Did any of the townsmen offer to divide the lashes with him. No; he who committed the offence bore the penalty alone. When I was at university I saw a man brought out to die. His arms were pinioned as he came from the jail. Did any man ask to die in his place? No, he underwent the sentence of the law for one offence.

I saw another sight – myself a sinner, standing on the brink of ruin, deserving naught but hell. For one sin? No, for many sins committed against the unchanging Laws of God – but Jesus, my substitute was scourged in my stead, and dying on the cross for me. I claimed Him as my Saviour, and was Forgiven. I realised that He had taken my place – and thanked God for giving Him to die in my stead. How simple it all becomes when God opens our eyes! The Law demands justice; the Gospel delights in Mercy, through satisfied Justice. Moses blesses the law-doer; Jesus pardons the law-breaker, the guilty, and Saves the lost.

37 – It’s Got No Sting

A crowd had gathered on the sea-shore and, attracted others. A showman had a dangerous serpent curled round his arms and neck. A venomous snake whose bite was of the deadliest, but though it shot out it’s forked tongue and touched him, it was harmless. Most of the observers were amazed and puzzled, and some a little frightened. Yet the sting, or venom bag, had been removed, and the reptile rendered harmless.

Why are we afraid to die? Is it not on account of Sin? If only we could extract the sting, death would no longer be terrible. Who can extract the deadly poison? We cannot, but the Lord Jesus has already removed it for all who are His. ‘In Him we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins’. and so death is swallowed up in victory. Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory through our Lord, Jesus Christ.

38 – Now or Never

There are districts in the North where the inhabitants live, to a great degree, upon the eggs of sea-birds which build their nests among the high, precipitous rocks on the sea-coast and adjoining islands. One egg hunter, seeing a large nest far below him, drove his iron stake into the ground, fixed his rope to it, and proceeded to let himself down over the cliff. Safely descending to the level of the nest, and suspended in mid-air, it was necessary to swing to and fro to eventually land on the ledge – which, with skilled hands and steady brain, he accomplished. He let the rope go, then realised his foolishness. When the rope swung back on it’s return swing, realising there may be no hope of catching it on it’s second return, with one bound, just as the rope approached him, he sprang from the ledge, and nerved, as it were, from the very jaws of death, his presence of mind and muscle enabled him to hang on to it. He was rescued. He might have been dashed to death on the rocks some hundreds of feet below, but to save his life he had risked all. My soul, what is thy position? Is it not ‘Now or Never’? Tomorrow may be too late.

39 – He Wasn’t on for Dying.

A number of young medical students were in the dissecting room of one of our colleges, laughing and busily talking over the events of the day. The ghastly remains before them threw no cloud over the merriment. No shadow, no reflection that perhaps soon they too might be corpses. Perhaps the noisiest of the party was Edward, the names and expressions that fell from his lips, unheeded by his comrades, which he had no right to use so lightly. Indifferent to the solemn words he was uttering, with the needle he had just been using on the corpse stuck carelessly into the facing of his coat, he leaned against the wall. During the hilarity Edward moved his hand in a gesture, and his skin was ripped by the needle. They went to one of the chief doctors, who in a few words, told Edward he might not be alive in 24 hours. A man is brave when he is strong and well, even courageous when dashing into battle; but when he is not ready to meet death, and the great doorway of eternity quietly open to receive him his heart may fail. Despair seized Edward as his fate stared him in the face. We can only repeat the words of one of his fellow students, “It was dreadful to see him when he was told he might soon be gone, for he wasn’t on for dying.” It may be that death will meet you suddenly. Are you unprepared? Or are you trusting Jesus Christ to Save you from God’s wrath?

40 – I Am Praying to God for Pardon

“I am praying to God and trying to do my duty” said an old soldier. “Well friend, what are you praying to God for?” was the reply. “For the pardon of my Sins” “But do ou expect to get your Sins pardoned by praying?” “Yes, for has He not told us to pray?” “That is true, but not for pardon of Sin; that we get in another way.” “How is that?” “By simply accepting the pardon He has given. When your wife offers you your tea, do you keep on asking for it, or take it when it is offered?” “Take it, without asking” “Well then, just so take Christ’s Work of Salvation, already done for you, as the pardon for your Sins. God says ‘whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely,’ It is not a question of asking, or doing, but of accepting – Christ; receiving Christ is the act of faith that Saves your soul.

41 – How He Surrendered

Charles Simeon, when young, read in a book that the Jews knew what they did when they transferred their Sin to the head of their sacrificial offering. He wondered if God had provided an offering for him too, that he might lay his Sins on it’s head. He saw that he need not bear them on his own soul one moment longer; for God laid those Sins on Jesus.

42 - Born Twice

One of the finest specimens of a sincere worshipper was startled by Christ. He was confounded to think he must be Born Again. A great many people have this subject of regeneration a good deal mixed up, so that when asked if they are born again Christians they say they think so, because they go to church – but you may go to church and be as wicked and corrupt as any man. Others say they have been baptised – but baptism is not regeneration. Others say they were born a Christian – but God says otherwise. The question is ‘have I been born of the Spirit?’ Christ told Nicodemus ‘except a man be born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God’. This question is so vast in importance we must not be deceived. Take the Word of God and look carefully – not into your own heart or experience, but into the Word, and see if you are born again. Nicodemus was not only a good man but a teacher too – what we call a preacher, a Doctor of Divinity – one of the best men in Jerusalem. Yet he came to Christ and was startled when he was told all his righteousness and morality was, in the sight of God, like filthy rages. Nicodemus, like all others, had to start at the bottom of the ladder.

43 – Must We Not Work out our Salvation?

Does it not say in the Bible that we are to work out our Salvation? How, then, can you reconcile that with the statement that we have only got to believe in order to be Saved. Wait a moment. When you ask ‘does it not say we are to work out our Salvation’ whom do you mean? Do you mean the Saved or the unsaved? Look at Philippians 1:1 and see to whom it is addressed. ‘To the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi.’ They were already Saved. They did not hope to be Saved, they knew they were Saved. To them Paul said ‘My beloved, work out your own Salvation’ (Phil. 2:12). ‘Your own’ implies possession. They were to ‘work out’ what God wrought IN.

44 – Very Cloudy

How many people have a very cloudy idea of what Salvation means. Let us quote four, when asked ‘what must a person do to be Saved’. One will answer ‘be moral and honest – pay your way.’ Another, ‘Do as near right as you can and pray to God’. ‘Don’t do anything wrong and you will get to heaven; treat everyone the best you can.’ A fourth, ‘Don’t swear, or lie, and don’t do anything you would be ashamed of’. To such replies we would inquire – What about the need for atonement for Sin? God says all have Sinned.

46 – Taking Poison

For a Sinner to seek healing of the soul from works, instead of the blood of Christ, is taking poison to cure disease.

47 – Loaded With Fetters

It is told of a famous smith of medieval times, that having been taken prisoner and immured in a dungeon, he conceived the idea of escaping, and began to examine the chain that bound him, with a view to discover some flaw that might make it easier to be broken. His hope was vain, for he found, from marks upon it. That it was one of his own workmanship. It had always been his boast that none could ever break a chain he had forged. Now it was his own chain that bound him. It is thus with the sinner; his own hands have forged the chain that binds him – a chain which no human hand can break. There is only one way of deliverance. Jesus can break the fetters. Jesus alone. Seek His help in your need, for ‘if the Son makes you free ye shall be free indeed.’
    “He breaks the power of cancelled Sin,
    He sets the prisoner free.
    His blood can make the foulest clean,
    His blood avails for me.”

48 – Is Jesus Christ

A Saviour, The Saviour or My Saviour?
    A, The, My, three, short words, very different in meaning. ‘A’ is the indefinite article, very indefinite indeed. A Saviour, but not mine – not for me. ‘The’ is the definite article. The Saviour, that is the only One. ‘My’ is a personal pronoun. My Saviour appropriated by me, has Saved me. Hence,
    Christ as A Saviour shows the need.
    Christ as THE Saviour shows there is but one.
    Christ as MY Saviour shows that He is mine.
    Question – Is He mine?

Thread Information