cure-real
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Traveller's Guide

Re: The Traveller's Guide

[SIZE=1]49 – Man’s or God’s Way of Salvation?

Man’s Way - ‘There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.’(Proverbs 14:12). ‘Going about to establish their own righteousness.’(Romans 10:3) Morality – ‘I thank Thee I am not as other men are.’(Luke 18:11) Almsgiving – ‘I give tithes of all that I possess.’ (Luke 18:12) ‘We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement.’ (Isaiah 28:15).
    A man may want liberty, and yet be happy; a man may want food, and yet be content; a man may want clothing, and yet be comfortable; but he that wants Salvation, wants everything that can do him good, in this life and the next. Nothing worse can be imagined, than to be without hope and without God even in this world.
    God’s Way – ‘Not of works, lest any man should boast’ (Ephesians 2:9). ‘Christ died for the unGodly’ (Romans 5:8). ‘the just for the unjust. By Him all that believe are justified from all things’ (Acts 13:39). ‘Not redeemed with . . silver and gold . .but with the precious blood of Christ’(1 Peter 1:18). ‘His own self bare our Sins in His own body on the tree’ (1 Peter 2:24). My Sins deserve eternal Death, but Jesus died for me.
    Do not mistake. Much that a man does is right and proper; but if it is to be acceptable to God, it must be the outcome of life after he has trusted in the finished Work of Christ. What we do must be the result of our forgiveness, not the means by which we try to obtain it.
    [/SIZE]

50 – when the Bee stung Mother

A boy was once asked how long he had known his Saviour; and if he had known all his Sins were forgiven. “Oh yes” he replied “I know that I am forgiven; I am sure of that.” “when did you first understand that” asked the Minister. “When the bee stung mother” said the boy. “My mother had, for years, told me what Jesus had done for me, but I never really understood and realised how He had taken my place, and died in my stead, until a large and excited bee came buzzing round as I played by the door of our cottage. I was frightened and ran inside to my mother. The bee followed and stung her instead of me. Mother explained that a bee can only sting once, and as it had stung her it couldn’t now sting me. She well applied the lesson, explaining to me how it was a picture of what she had told me, about Jesus having taken my place and been punished in my stead. I had often repeated “by His stripes we are Healed” but I never understood till then, with the bee and the sting before us, that it was just a picture of what Jesus had allowed to be done to Himself – to be punished instead of us, who deserved to be punished; and how, if we claimed that He had taken our place and been punished in our stead we could not be punished. The Law having punished Him in our stead, it was powerless to punish me, for God had punished Jesus in my stead

51 – Respectability

Here is a most respectable young man. Doubtless, if we enquired, we should find him an exemplary husband, a devoted father, a generous neighbour, and honest and energetic business man – perhaps a teetotaller – we should hear him spoken of as not indifferent to spiritual matters; his face turned towards the heavenly city; - he realises that eternity is fast hastening, and when death comes he hopes for heaven. But there is a sad and appalling fact – he has placed his faith in the plank of respectability, which though strong and good is far too short to land him in heaven – the Jordan rolls in between. Friend, how will you cross those waters and reach that far shore? What will be your passport to Glory? God says all our righteousness is as filthy rags, and He says that “Nought that defileth shall enter” what can you plead for all your failures – even if they only be sins of omission of which you have been guilty? The most perfect man or woman is but a sinner, and cannot appear where all is holy and pure. Fellow traveller, you see your sad plight. The most perfect young man recorded in Scripture(Mark 10:20) pleaded a perfect life, but the Lord Jesus at once told him “yet one thing thou lackest” Even one sin spells ‘Guilty of all’. Respectability is a fatal delusion; but it is not too late – if you see yourself guilty and lost in God’s sight. If you will take the place of a sinner, pleading that Jesus died in your stead, and that His blood cleanses from all Sin, Salvation is yours, and you can say, as Paul did, “the Son of God . . loved me and gave Himself for me” that will land you in heaven – respectability never can. “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be a propitiation for our sins”(John 4:10) For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.” (Romans 5:6)

52 - Just One thing Wanting

How many nice people there are in the world; so kind, loving, generous, so upright and honest; thinking nothing a trouble if they can in any way give others a helping hand. They are full of sympathy and practical philanthropy, loved and admired by all who know them, temper and temperament finely adjusted, perfect characters, charming in every way; but just wanting one thing, the vital thing – Christ. It is morality without conversion, amiability of the flesh alone; beauty of character untouched by the beauty of holiness; good citizens of the world, but not soldiers of Jesus Christ; excellent members of society, but not members of His body; they are just like some exquisite picture or charming piece of sculpture, every feature and line perfectly brought out that people are never tired of gazing at – but it has no life. Only Christ can give Life.

53 – Which?

In the cathedral at Worcester there is an ancient slab, bearing as it’s inscription the solitary word MISERRIMUS (most miserable). Down in the catacombs – those vast underground chambers of the dead, where the early Christians endeavoured to hide from their fierce persecutors – engraven on a stone embedded in the wall, stands this beautiful word ‘FELICISSIMUS’ (most happy). If you were laid in your grave this week, which of those Latin inscriptions would most truly represent your condition?

54 – Admit the Bearer – A Sinner.

“So John, you’ve got fairly into the Kingdom, how did you get in at last?”
    “Oh, it was the simplest thing in the world; it was just by presenting the right ticket.”
    “That is strange, for you were so anxious to get in. What kind of a ticket was it?”
    “It had nothing on it but the words ‘Admit the bearer – a Sinner’”
    “Was as that all”
    “Yes, and what kept me out so long was that I always added something to the words on the ticket when I presented it. Whenever the Lord saw anything of my adding, it was refused. I had added various things, like ‘no worse than my neighbour’ or ‘doing his best to improve’ or ‘praying and weeping for his sins’ or even ‘ too great a sinner to be Saved’ – then I looked a Christ and heard Him say ‘Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out’. (John 6:37) and those precious words ‘ whosoever will, let him take of the water of life freely’ (Revelation 22:17), I remembered that Jesus said ‘I came to call sinners to repentance’ so I pulled out the old ticket, and without adding a word, presented it, was accepted, and I entered.”
    Reader, go and do likewise.

55 – Story of an Artist’s Studio

Years ago, a painter stood in his studio, his right thumb to the belt of his blouse, and his right hand holding the pipe he had withdrawn from his lips, in honour of his visitor, the vicar of the rich church of St. Jerome. The artist had not yet reached middle age. He was famous in Dusseldorf, and some said that his name would some day be known worldwide. When that day came, Stenberg ruefully thought that he would be past the enjoyment of riches which tarried so long. Still he loved his art. Now and again he became so absorbed in his work that he forgot all else but the picture upon his easel. His was good work, but he desired something more, and was not a satisfied man. To the world he seemed a jolly, prosperous man, who displayed on occasion, a shrewd business capacity, and one who knew his own interests well. He said “No Reverend Father; the sum you offer would but ill repay me for the labour of so large an altar-piece as you honour me by naming. It must have many figures, all carefully studied. The crucifixion is not an easy subject, and it has been done so often, that it would be difficult to compose a picture different from others.” “I will not limit you to the price. You are an honest man, and the Church of St. Jerome will not pay for the altar-piece; it is to be the gift of a penitent. “that makes a difference” said Stenberg. They parted both well pleased, and during the following weeks Stenberg studied the composition of the altar-piece, and penetrated into the Jewish Strasse for models of his figures. Father Jerome was satisfied. From time to time the vicar dropped in to inspect the progress of the work.
    With the bursting of the young green leaves, a hunger seized upon the artist’s soul to leave Dusseldorf, and with his sketchbook Wander over the surrounding country. On the borders of the forest he came upon a gypsy girl plaiting straw baskets. Her face was beautiful, her eyes were the feature that caught the artist’s regard – restless, limpid black eyes whose expression changed every moment; pain, joy, fun and roguery were reflected in their depths as swiftly as the cloud shadows chase each other across a lake. The girl noticed the artist, and flinging down her straw and raising her hands above her head, and snapping her fingers to keep time, danced lightly and gracefully before him, showing her white teeth and her glance sparkling with amusement. “Stand” cried Stenberg, and he rapidly sketched her. It was a weary position for the girl to maintain, but she never flinched. She is not only beautiful, but also a capital model. ‘I will paint her as a Spanish dancing girl, he thought’. So a bargain was struck. Pepita was to come thrice a week to the artist’s studio. Duly at the appointed hour she arrived. She began examining the pictures – and soon the great altar-piece now nearing completion caught her eye. “Who is that?” she asked in an awed voice. “The Christ” answered Stenberg carelessly. “What is being done to Him?” “Being crucified” ejaculated the artist. “Who are those people about Him – those with the bad faces?” The girl continued to gaze and speculate. Every time she came to the studio the fascination of the picture grew upon her. Sometimes she ventured an enquiry. Eventually he told her the story of the Cross, new to Pepita, though so old to the artist that it had ceased to touch him, but the thought of it wrung her heart. The altar-piece and the Spanish dancing girl were finished simulataneously. Pepia’s last visit to the studio had come. She slowly turned from gazing at the altar-piece “You must love Him very much, Signor, when He has done all that for you, do you not?” The artist was ashamed. Those plaintive words rang in his heart. The artist allowed a generous discount on the altar-piece, and for a week or two felt at ease. But the question would not go away. One day he listened to a preacher who appealed on every occasion to the Word of God, in an area that was not quite respectable. Stenberg found what he sought – a Living faith. No need to question now. He felt in his soul the fire of an ardent love. The desire burned in him to tell of Christ’s great boundless Love, but he was not a speaker – the artist idly drew with a piece of charcoal a rough sketch of a thorn-crowned head; he suddenly realised he could paint. In that altar-piece His face was all agony – but, he realised, that was not the truth. Love unutterable, infinite compassion, willing sacrifice! The fire of genius blazed up, the new picture of the crucifixion was a wonder. He would not sell it. He gave it as a free-will offering to Dusseldorf. It was hung in the public gallery, and the citizens flocked to see it, with the words under it “All this I did for thee, what hast thou done for Me”. One day Stenberg saw Pepita there weeping. She didn’t think Jesus could have died for such as her too – until Stenberg told her of that life, death and crowning glory of resurrection; she listened, believed and received Him. Many years later, after the painter had died, a young nobleman drove in his splendid equipage into Dusseldorf, and wandered into that famous gallery. He had all the world’s treasures within his grasp. He stood before Stenberg’s picture, arrested. He read and re-read the legend on the frame. He could not tear himself away – it grew into his heart. He was Zinzendorf. From that moment he threw life, fortune, fame, at the feet of Him Who had thus whispered to his heart. Zinzendorf, the father of the Moravian Missions, answered that question by his devoted life and welcomed death. Stenberg’s picture no longer hangs in the gallery in Dusseldorf, for when the gallery was destroyed by fire it perished; but it preached, and God used it to tell of His Gift – Calvary’s Substitute – of Whom St. Paul said “ He loved me and gave Himself for me”. Can you, reader, say the same as the gypsy and the nobleman?

56 - A Hard Hit (?)

He was a sailor. All right boys” he said “go on, say all you want to, make all the fun of me you please; but I have tried it now for over six months. Saloon keepers do not get my money now, and I have got a clear head, a clear eye, and a happy heart – all because I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour.

57 – Where Do You Belong (?)

A man said to me the other day that he heartily believed that Jesus died for the Sin of the world.
    “Well”, I replied, “has He died for you?”
    “Oh, that I cannot tell, how can I tell whether Jesus died for my sins?”
    “Are you in heaven?” I rejoined
    “No, I wish I was.”
    “Are you in hell?” “No, I hope I shall never go there.”
    “Are you an angel or a devil?”
    “Neither”
    “Well to what part of the universe do you belong?”
    He looked a little puzzled for a moment, and then said he belonged to the world.
    “Yes” I said “that is true. And God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting Life.”(John 3:16) “Then has He died for you?”
    “I see it all now. He must have done so – and I take Him as my personal Saviour.”

58 – Experiences of a Sinner Saved by Grace.

Condemnation :- “By one man Sin entered the world, and death by Sin.; and so death passed upon all men, for all have Sinned (Romans 5:12) there is no difference; for all have Sinned and come short of the Glory of God.” (Romans 3:22-23).

Substitution:- “when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly”(Romans 5:6). My Sins deserve Eternal Death, but Jesus died for me!

New Birth:- “Jesus answered and said unto him,’ verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God”((John 3:3) Salvation:- “What must I do to be Saved? Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be Saved.”(Acts16;30-31). “There is Life for a look at the crucified One; There is Life at this moment for thee; then look, sinner, look unto Him and be Saved, Unto Him who was nailed to the tree”.
    :- “I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and as a cloud Forgiveness your Sins return to Me; for I have redeemed thee” (Isaiah 44:22).

Lovingkindness
    :- “For God so Loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should (Galations 2:20).

Gratitude:- “What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits towards me?”(Psalm 116:12) “We love Him because He first Loved us.”(John 4:19). “If ye love Me, keep My Commandments” (John 14:15). I dare not work my soul to Save, That Work already done; But I will work like any slave, For love to God’s dear Son.

Reader:- May the Holy Spirit bless His own Word to your soul, and enable you to say in truth, - My hope is built on nothing less, Than Jesus Blood and Righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame; but wholly lean on Jesus’ Name. On Christ, the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. Come, then, to Jesus, just as you are.

Say – Just as I am without one plea, But that Thy blood was shed for me, And that Thou bidst me come to Thee, Oh Lamb of God, I come.

Remember, there is more merit in the Blood of Christ than guilt in thy Sin. A Christian is one who has been purchased at a great price, and who has nothing else to do than to Glorify God.

59 – The Lady and the Fruit

A gentleman returning from market in an omnibus, was carrying in his hand a small basket of choice fruit. Shortly a lady entered and freely expressed her admiration of it’s beauty and excellence; adding how glad she would have been to have bought some like it, that she might have had the pleasure of presenting it to friends she was going to visit. The gentleman very courteously offered it for her acceptance. Much as she would have liked the fruit she would not accept the gift from a stranger, though she said she would gladly take it if he would permit her to pay for it. That he declined, though still expressing his willingness to give it to her. The lady continued to express her desire to have the fruit by purchase.

At last the gentleman brought the conversation to a close thus:- Well ma’am I must tell you that you must either have it as a gift or not at all.” She at length agreed, acknowledging his kindness.

Just like man! He fancies he can do something for, or towards, his own Salvation. If you will not receive Salvation as a Gift of God you cannot have it at all, but must perish in your Sins.

60 – The Helpless Helped

The Lord takes up none but the forsaken.
    Makes none healthy but the sick.
    Gives sight to none but the blind.
    Makes none alive but the dead.
    Saves none but Sinners.

61 – Two Pieces of Paper

It very much helps towards Salvation when a man knows his actual position, and something of his need. Might I ask that every person, on reading this, would sit down and just look into the state of his heart before God, and then write on a piece of paper either ‘LOST’ or ‘SAVED’.
    Please do not write the word saved unless you can honestly and sincerely say “I have looked to the Saviour, and He has Saved me”. But suppose you are bound in honesty to your own conscience, to write down the word ‘lost’ of your description, it will be both right and useful to do so.
    Only foolish people object to thus face the matter – be not one of them. Write down the condition of your soul. Write down “impenitent” if you are so; write “unbelieving” if that is your state, it may help you. To look within must bring despair; but to look at Christ on the Cross, who took your place and died in your stead, will bring Life and liberty. God says he that hath the Son hath Life, but he that hath not the Son of God hath not Life.

62 – All Are Sinners

Once in this country there was a game played with bows and arrows. A man had to shoot ten arrows through a hoop at a distance. If he missed one he was called a ‘sinner’; if he missed more than one, or all of them, he was called by the same name, a sinner. God says “whosever shall keep the whole Law and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.” No man objects to be called a sinner, but call him a criminal, and he is greatly offended. Why? The one has sinned against God, the other has sinned against man.

63 – One Thing is Needful. Have you got it?

Many things are useful and desirable. Only one thing is absolutely indispensable. There is only one thing that if a man possess he is well off, whatever else he may lack; only one thing that if a man lack he is ruined, whatever else he may possess. Is it property? One can be absolutely destitute of property, and yet happy and contented. Is it health? Many persons have had their happiest hours in severe sickness; Health is not indispensable. Is it a good reputation? The consciousness of innocence will uphold a man against the wildest storms of obloquy. A good man whom slanderers have made hateful to his fellow men, is happier than he, whom successful hypocrisy has led his fellow men to load him with honours. An interest in Jesus Christ, an experimental knowledge of His great Salvation, is the only indispensable thing. You cannot do without this. You cannot meet God without it. You cannot stand at the Judgement seat without it. It is the one thing needful – the one indispensable thing.

Thread Information