cure-real

Thread: Interesting Quote and the Bible

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Interesting Quote and the Bible

*Disclaimer: if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it*

If you do not know by now, I am about the biggest Rich Mullins fan around. I became a Christian after he went to be with our Lord: so all I have are the recordings and videos I search out on YouTube. I have been trying for the last several years to fashon my life after him in the sense that I want to give up everything for God. To use his words:

"You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."

There is another quote by him, and I am going to paraphrase it:

"I find it sad that there are so many Christians today that can quote my music, or the music of many other Christian artists. They can quote poetry, lines from movies, and lines from books. But they cannot quote from the Book of Life: they have very little of the Scripture memorized in their hearts. That makes me sad: that people will be able to sing my songs long after I am gone, but cannot truly tell people what the Author of Life has said."

That cuts me: for I do find myself in that camp. Yes, I do have large portions of Gods Word in my head: I also have it buried deep in my heart. But I think I have more music memorized then I do Scripture. I often find myself thinking that I know where a perticular verse is, then it is not there. I am off by a few pages or a chapter.

Now, do not get me wrong: God has His Word placed firmly in my heart: I can give Biblical answers when asked. I add to the conversations here as often as I am able to (but being OCD, I tend to re-write my answer many times and can get frustrated ). Here is the thing, and the crux of what I want to ask:

How can we place Gods Word more effectively on our hearts?

Is it wrong to memorize music, in the sense that at times it seems to over-rides Gods Word in our memory banks? Or does music really assist us in memorizing what God is saying?

When we read Gods Word, are we only reading it, or are we committing it to our hearts like He wants us to?

Now, I am not only asking for myself, but for everyone here. New Christians and "old". What are some "tricks and techniques" that you use to study His Word? Or do "tricks" (for lack of a better word on my part) really help us when it comes to His Word?

OK, that is what I am offering up for discussion here.

In Him,

CC

Romans 8:15-17
    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
    Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Blog Entries

Re: Interesting Quote and the Bible

Here's something that a friend of mine posted on FB this morning. I think it's pretty timely.

"I have decided to stop focusing on how much I don't focus on Jesus and simply focus on Jesus." - Judah Smith

It just popped into my head as soon as I saw your thread CC.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoffee View Post
    *Disclaimer: if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it*

If you do not know by now, I am about the biggest Rich Mullins fan around. I became a Christian after he went to be with our Lord: so all I have are the recordings and videos I search out on YouTube. I have been trying for the last several years to fashon my life after him in the sense that I want to give up everything for God. To use his words:

There is another quote by him, and I am going to paraphrase it:

"I find it sad that there are so many Christians today that can quote my music, or the music of many other Christian artists. They can quote poetry, lines from movies, and lines from books. But they cannot quote from the Book of Life: they have very little of the Scripture memorized in their hearts. That makes me sad: that people will be able to sing my songs long after I am gone, but cannot truly tell people what the Author of Life has said."

That cuts me: for I do find myself in that camp. Yes, I do have large portions of Gods Word in my head: I also have it buried deep in my heart. But I think I have more music memorized then I do Scripture. I often find myself thinking that I know where a perticular verse is, then it is not there. I am off by a few pages or a chapter.

Now, do not get me wrong: God has His Word placed firmly in my heart: I can give Biblical answers when asked. I add to the conversations here as often as I am able to (but being OCD, I tend to re-write my answer many times and can get frustrated ). Here is the thing, and the crux of what I want to ask:

How can we place Gods Word more effectively on our hearts?

Is it wrong to memorize music, in the sense that at times it seems to over-rides Gods Word in our memory banks? Or does music really assist us in memorizing what God is saying?

When we read Gods Word, are we only reading it, or are we committing it to our hearts like He wants us to?

Now, I am not only asking for myself, but for everyone here. New Christians and "old". What are some "tricks and techniques" that you use to study His Word? Or do "tricks" (for lack of a better word on my part) really help us when it comes to His Word?

OK, that is what I am offering up for discussion here.

In Him,

CC

Romans 8:15-17
    Music has always been far easier to memorize than scripture for me. Poetry probably comes in second place for me in the ease of remembering stakes.

But when confronted with a question or an issue my mind will often remember that there is scripture dealing with it and i remember the message almost verbatim. I often have to look the verse up in the bible using the key words in a bible search program to find the exact scripture to quote. I guess if the bible was poetic or could be put to music i would remember it more exactly.

The greatest assistance to remembering scriptures is ones own belief in the importance of scripture. If people think it is very important to remember the messages in scripture they will remember. Also if reading a portion of scripture has a deep emotional impact on us we will remember that verse because emotion always seems to help one remember the message that provoked that emotional response.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

I think some have brains that do memorization better.
    I agree with Adstar,
    that music can be a help with memorizing.
    I can sing many more scripture verses than I can recite.

Blog Entries

I have learned that when I put Scripture into practice ... I tend to never forget it again. I also finally understand what a lot of it acually means.

Having said that ... I do love me some Rich Mullins. Sad day when I heard he had died. Then again ... he's exactly where he longed to be so I can't exactly cry for him. Sad loss for the rest of us left here though.

Thread Information