John 14:3, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also”

Hebrews 10:23, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful”

Faithfulness is a rare commodity these days. All of us have had the experience of trusting in someone who has let us down, and we got hurt. It’s a good thing God isn’t like us. So often we find ourselves being unfaithful to Him. We ignore or challenge His commands. We give in to our sinful nature and do the very things we know we ought not do. Or worse yet, we choose not to do that which we are expected to do. If God wasn’t faithful to us, if He didn’t keep the promises He has made to us, we’d be done for. He remains faithful and He keeps those promises not because we’re anything special, but because He is. Stop and think about that for a second. God’s faithfulness isn’t tied to us in any way. It is tied to His nature and His character and as a result, His faithfulness is perfect, even when ours is far from it. Have you ever taken the time to trace God’s promises through the Bible? If you haven’t, I would recommend you begin underlining every promise you find and ask yourself the following questions: When did God make the promise? To whom was it given? What were the conditions? How was it fulfilled? How does it apply to us today? My friend, there are thousands of promises recorded in God’s precious Word, some of which are:

(1) He has promised to supply every need we have. The Bible says, "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19).

(2) God has promised that His grace is sufficient for us (2 Corinthians 12:9). In fact, He has made provision for our salvation by His grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8). According to Romans 5:2, it is through an obedient faith that we have access into the grace of God.

(3) God has promised that His children will not be overtaken with temptation. He assures us that a way of escape will be provided. This promise is recorded in I Corinthians 10:13. Jude wrote, "Now unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy" (Jude v 24). Darius, King of the Medes, said to Daniel, "Thy God whom thou servest continually, he will deliver thee" (Daniel 6:16). He did deliver Daniel from the den of lions.

(4) God has promised us victory over death. He first resurrected Jesus by way of assuring our resurrection. Peter said, "This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we are all witnesses" (Acts 2:32). Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (I Corinthians 15:3,4). Later on he adds, "but thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1Corinthians 15:57).

(5) God has promised that all things work together for good to those who love and serve Him faithfully (Romans 8:28). It may be difficult for us to see and understand how this is accomplished at times, but God has promised it, and He will deliver.

(6) God has promised the forgiveness of sins by the blood of Christ. In Him [Christ] we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace (Ephesians 1:7).

(7) God has promised His people eternal life (John 10:27, 28).

Further reflection:

The Lord Jesus Christ has many wonderful attributes, not the least of which is His faithfulness. That is, He is believable and trustworthy, sure to do all He promises. He will keep us from the evil one and from being overcome by evil in our lives. Also, “God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted [that is, ‘tested’] above that ye are able” (1 Corinthians 10:13). Why does He care for us so? Well in the first place, He is our Creator, and has a distinct purpose and will for our lives. Therefore all who are His can safely “commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator” (1 Peter 4:19). He will keep us to the end; Paul said, “I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Even when we yield to the temptations along the way, and fall into sin, He promises, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9), because He has paid the penalty for all our sins, and He is “a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people” (Hebrews 2:17).

Closing thoughts:

While writing this devotional by thoughts were directed to Genesis the first book of the Bible. The words are repeated several times in Genesis 1, the story of creation, “And it was so.” Whatever God said, it happened. “Let there be light. Let there be a firmament. Let the earth bring forth grass. Then, each time, the words, “And it was so.” God spoke the words, and it became a reality. As I read about this beginning of our world and the power of God, I started to think about some other things God and His Son Jesus have said, things we can count on. When Jesus was talking about His followers, He said, “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand? (John 10:28). If we have put our trust in Him, we can be assured that we have eternal life right now and will live with Him forever. The writer of Hebrews said, “Be content with such things as you have. For [God] Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5). We can be sure that our needs will be met and that we won’t be left alone. With such a faithful Savior and Lord, we surely ought to trust Him fully. In spite of this, we often doubt Him and His Word, but even this does not change His love toward us. “If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself” (2 Timothy 2:13). Indeed, “God is faithful, by whom ye were called” (1 Corinthians 1:9), for His very name is “called Faithful and True” (Revelation 19:11). Thus, one of Jesus’ most comforting promises is “I will come again and receive you to Myself” (John 14:3). My friend, He said it, we can believe it, and wait confidently for that day. Count on God’s Word and it will be so.

All of God’s promises are backed by His Wisdom, Love, and Power.