cure-real

Thread: Effortlessly and harmlessly

Effortlessly and harmlessly

We only have one measely Microsoft computer here in the household that connects to the Internet any longer. The rest of what we have is Android, Mac or mostly Linux.

My wife went onto her yahoo email tonight and found a suspicious message on the Microsoft computer. I'm sure many of you here experienced that. Well, if we use Microsoft, I told her not to open it as I will spend untold hours and hours formatting and reprogramming the sickly Microsoft computer when it gets a virus from that email (despite the OS and virus updates). If the email is viral, which it probably was, I should investigate it here on this laptop I told her that uses Linux (which BTW used to be a Microssoft computer with a fatal virus but I resurrected it using Linux).

Well, I did so, with the perfect and absolute assurance that even the most horrific virus would not and absolutely could not infect this computer the way it would 99.999% of all Microsofts out there, in spite of the most recent virus protection. I investigated her email and found it was viral spam. I just stopped a virus cold in its feet and marked it as "junk" so as not to ever come into her inbox again.

Who knows how many untold and abysmally painful hours and dollars, perhaps ranging into 4 digits I would have to spend fixing a Microsoft computer from an annoying spam message, which most of the populace would have done as well, but this OS just effortlessly and harmlessly dismissed this virus and everything was as safe as a baby tucked away in a cozy blanket.

You think anyone out there will catch my drift? Don't hold your breath. Instead of getting Linux for free, people will spend mucho dollares for Microsoft and then complain about the viruses. Incredible.

Blog Entries

Re: Effortlessly and harmlessly

Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_pa View Post
    We only have one measely Microsoft computer here in the household that connects to the Internet any longer. The rest of what we have is Android, Mac or mostly Linux.

My wife went onto her yahoo email tonight and found a suspicious message on the Microsoft computer. I'm sure many of you here experienced that. Well, if we use Microsoft, I told her not to open it as I will spend untold hours and hours formatting and reprogramming the sickly Microsoft computer when it gets a virus from that email (despite the OS and virus updates). If the email is viral, which it probably was, I should investigate it here on this laptop I told her that uses Linux (which BTW used to be a Microssoft computer with a fatal virus but I resurrected it using Linux).

Well, I did so, with the perfect and absolute assurance that even the most horrific virus would not and absolutely could not infect this computer the way it would 99.999% of all Microsofts out there, in spite of the most recent virus protection. I investigated her email and found it was viral spam. I just stopped a virus cold in its feet and marked it as "junk" so as not to ever come into her inbox again.

Who knows how many untold and abysmally painful hours and dollars, perhaps ranging into 4 digits I would have to spend fixing a Microsoft computer from an annoying spam message, which most of the populace would have done as well, but this OS just effortlessly and harmlessly dismissed this virus and everything was as safe as a baby tucked away in a cozy blanket.

You think anyone out there will catch my drift? Don't hold your breath. Instead of getting Linux for free, people will spend mucho dollares for Microsoft and then complain about the viruses. Incredible.
    So the ubunto(however it is spelled) is Linux? I really need the stupid person explanation here...lol

I don't have mucho dollars, I don't have any dollars...but would love to have my computer cleaned out and start over..but I also have a lot of stuff I don't want to loose that would at the least have to be made compatible with something new, file types and stuff of my documents and all. I have a lot of stuff on my computer...photos, documents...software. Will older software versions run on the Linux/ubuntu thingy

Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_pa View Post

Is Linux a graphical based control system or is it code heavy.

thanks

In answer to both questions, here's their web site:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

I think the particular version I have works a lot more like a Mac. Understand, Mac computers are excellent Operating Systems, very excellent. However, the price is expensive as well (which is why more people get Microsoft and all the headaches that a Mac does not have). But as for Linux, I jokingly refer to Linux as a poor man's Mac considering that both the Operating systems are based on the same type of Kernal, i.e. that which Unix comes from.

I had sveral responces out there on this particular forum already from folks that do not even know that Linux exists. I'm glad I could share some technological light here. No, you don't have to deal with the shinanighans Microsoft gives any longer. And if you want, Linux Ubuntu can be run from a CD as a trial to see if you like it (but be cautioned that when the HD is bypassed it will run slower) and you can even install it as a "dual boot" so that you can select which operating system to use. When sickly Microsoft gets one of its typical weekly or monthly viruses or how ever often you are plagued with it, the computer can be booted in Ubuntu and clean out the Microsoft half of the disk. All for free!

Thread Information