cure-real

View Poll Results: Is the character of Jesus and God the Father the identical?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, their character is the same.

18 90.00%
  • No, they are different in character.

2 10.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the character of Jesus and the character of God the same?

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

Re: Is the character of Jesus and the character of God the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    He is visible... He does not 'do' visible
    He is Messiah, He does Salvation
    He is the Lamb that was slain... He does Salvation
    He is the Judge, He does judging....

The question isn't whether Jesus and the Father have done the same things, the question is whether their character (who they are) is the same or not. And it is. Note that I'm not talking about what they've done but who they are. For example, the Father loves all people and is very patient with people. Jesus also loves all people and is very patient with them. Being loving and patient are character traits of both Jesus and the Father. Do you see the point?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    What he said. :-) It's all about HOW the what is accomplished.
    Okay
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    The question isn't whether Jesus and the Father have done the same things, the question is whether their character (who they are) is the same or not. And it is. Note that I'm not talking about what they've done but who they are. For example, the Father loves all people and is very patient with people. Jesus also loves all people and is very patient with them. Being loving and patient are character traits of both Jesus and the Father. Do you see the point?
    Yes , ... because they are both God
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

I think Ta-An makes a good distinction in her comment because if character is defined as nature (as it can be) then it gets very complicated very quickly As Jesus has a human nature as she was pointing out...its a very easy question to get muddled on if the terms are not defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
    I think Ta-An makes a good distinction in her comment because if character is defined as nature (as it can be) then it gets very complicated very quickly As Jesus has a human nature as she was pointing out...its a very easy question to get muddled on if the terms are not defined.
    I understand what you are saying. However, Jesus taught us that "from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks". So is it safe to say that what Jesus said sprung from his heart/character? And that what he said would be identical to what God would have said in the same situation? (Jesus also said he only spoke what the Father told him to speak.)

I think a good example of what I am saying and you are pointing out is in the garden when Jesus prayed and said "not my will but Thine be done". In his humanity, his flesh did not want to go through with the call. But His Spirit, heart, character was quite willing to follow the Father and do as told.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Wow!
    And it's what Paul talked about too.
    How he did what he didn't want to and so on.
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

Rather than post everthing I was going to, I will reveal what I have considered briefly.

When you put on the new self, you should do so in truth.
    Because truth is righteous and without truth it is false.

Our righteousness may be in the simlitude of God.
    (because we have been shown beforehand how to be in simlitude)

But does that equate to being equal to ?

Even Jesus said this... it is not me, but the Father that gave me.
    How can we turn this around and say since the Father gave me, it is me ?

I think the best defense for this idea I can think of is when Jesus said "didn't the scriptures say , Ye are gods".

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

However even being "gods" doesn't sway me a inch, that any so called god is as righteous as God.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack702 View Post
    Rather than post everthing I was going to, I will reveal what I have considered briefly.

When you put on the new self, you should do so in truth.
    Because truth is righteous and without truth it is false.

Our righteousness may be in the simlitude of God.
    (because we have been shown beforehand how to be in simlitude)

But does that equate to being equal to ?

Even Jesus said this... it is not me, but the Father that gave me.
    How can we turn this around and say since the Father gave me, it is me ?

I think the best defense for this idea I can think of is when Jesus said "didn't the scriptures say , Ye are gods".

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

However even being "gods" doesn't sway me a inch, that any so called god is as righteous as God.
    Having God's righteousness doesn't make one equal to God. It just means he's righteous like God. Afterall, it's God's righteousness so how can we be less righteous since it's His righteousness to begin with?
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Having God's righteousness doesn't make one equal to God. It just means he's righteous like God. Afterall, it's God's righteousness so how can we be less righteous since it's His righteousness to begin with?
    Because as you have said it is not our righteousness it is God's.

If it is God's righteousness, then give the glory to God.

Didn't Jesus give the glory to God even though he is The Son of God ?

Why brother do you call me good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack702 View Post
    Because as you have said it is not our righteousness it is God's.

If it is God's righteousness, then give the glory to God.

Didn't Jesus give the glory to God ?
    Of course he gets the glory! He is the only one that can make any of us righteous! Without Him, we would all be dead in our trespasses and sins.
    NASU

I have so much more to say on this. But why should I ?

I cannot say anything that the saints have not allready.
    I cannot say anything that Jesus has not allready.

If you have any more specific verses, and you feel compelled, post them for me and I will read them.

However let me be frank and post my assumption which is a variance of yours.

We are blessed in Christ.

OK. Poll question. Feel free to explain your answer if you feel the need.

Bonus question... how does your answer impact your interpretation of the OT or NT?
    I remember a time in my walk when I found it difficult to reconcile the character of God in the Old Testament with the character of Jesus. Much of that had to do with how I was taught and what I was raised to believe. It really wasn't until I came across a book at a garage sale that went step by step through the Pentateuch and explained much of the symbolism of the sacrifices and rituals and memorials that I really began to understand that there was a completely different level of understanding in the Old Testament that I had completely missed.

Finally I began to see Jesus in "the God of the Old Testament" and "the God of the Old Testament" in Jesus. I recognized that God was trying to make the same point in completely destroying Israels enemies, saving none, as Jesus was in saying "if your hand offends you, cut it off" - Don't save to yourself or cling to anything that might lead you astray. I recognized that God's commandments of the Old Testament were the same commandment from Jesus to love God and one another - no difference. And many other similar things. And finally I began to recognize that Jesus and God were both as righteous, just, merciful, patient, loving (etc.) as the other. I remember always being so thrilled, and a sense of peace settling over me as I made each new such discovery, as still happens, now, whenever God allows me to see something I've previously not understood (or misunderstood).

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I remember a time in my walk when I found it difficult to reconcile the character of God in the Old Testament with the character of Jesus. Much of that had to do with how I was taught and what I was raised to believe. It really wasn't until I came across a book at a garage sale that went step by step through the Pentateuch and explained much of the symbolism of the sacrifices and rituals and memorials that I really began to understand that there was a completely different level of understanding in the Old Testament that I had completely missed.

Finally I began to see Jesus in "the God of the Old Testament" and "the God of the Old Testament" in Jesus. I recognized that God was trying to make the same point in completely destroying Israels enemies, saving none, as Jesus was in saying "if your hand offends you, cut it off" - Don't save to yourself or cling to anything that might lead you astray. I recognized that God's commandments of the Old Testament were the same commandment from Jesus to love God and one another - no difference. And many other similar things. And finally I began to recognize that Jesus and God were both as righteous, just, merciful, patient, loving (etc.) as the other. I remember always being so thrilled, and a sense of peace settling over me as I made each new such discovery, as still happens, now, whenever God allows me to see something I've previously not understood (or misunderstood).
    Amen! Very good post!
    NASU

Blog Entries

The only dissenting voice... Sorry I had to, just to spite you all!

OK. Poll question. Feel free to explain your answer if you feel the need.
    While Jesus lived and breathed here on earth, I think he changed a few things about how he presented himself to SHOW us how to be good humans. When he's on the judgement throne, it's a slightly different story I think. He's still the same person, so to speak, but in leading by example certain things were clear since it was coming directly from the source rather than through a prophet or king.

Bonus question... how does your answer impact your interpretation of the OT or NT?
    It changes nothing for me, as far as I can think of.
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceegen View Post
    The only dissenting voice... Sorry I had to, just to spite you all!

While Jesus lived and breathed here on earth, I think he changed a few things about how he presented himself to SHOW us how to be good humans. When he's on the judgement throne, it's a slightly different story I think. He's still the same person, so to speak, but in leading by example certain things were clear since it was coming directly from the source rather than through a prophet or king.

It changes nothing for me, as far as I can think of.
    But not revealing all his character doesn't mean his character is different. In what way is the character of Christ different than the character of God the Father?
    NASU

Thread Information