cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm an Atheist

Hi, I'm an Atheist

As the title of my introduction says, I'm not a believer in God. I grew up in a very Christian home and attended Sunday school when I was a child. I officially stopped going to church when I was in my teens and my parents kicked me out of the house. I was told that if I didn't follow Christianity that I would be grounded to my room, not be allowed to drive, or watch television. I was given an ultimatum which basically said that if I wanted to be a part of the family that I had to go to church. Well, I decided that pretending to believe in God when I really didn't wasn't worth it. My whole experience with church has been a very traumatic one for me because my family has basically disowned me. I found this forum because I wanted to give it another shot and see if the people here are nice. I don't really read the Bible very much because there's so many passages saying so many things I always get really confused. . Thank you for letting me in this forum. It really means a lot!

-Starfox

Blog Entries

Re: Hi, I'm an Atheist

Hi Starfox...you are welcome here and we are glad to have ya.

Much of the Bible can sometimes be confusing...but it is understandable. Taking one thing at a time, one day at a time and first things first.

I posted this in another thread, maybe something of it would be of benefit here.

Ya know, I am a parent, so I can tell you first hand, parents are not perfect...not to mention, I have yet to meet the perfect Christian...but I have met many professing the name of Jesus who, though not perfect, were new creatures in Him, and desiring with all their heart to be what Jesus desires us to be. I am not perfect and will not claim to be...but I do have an Advocate who paid for all my imperfections and day by day teaches and leads me toward the goal

I am sorry your parents kicked you out, that must have been devastating. Not that I am trying to be on their side or your side...but I do know that must have been a very difficult(to say the least) situation.

Might I suggest that you just take things little by little and seek Jesus...knowing that while me, you, and your parents are not perfect, Jesus indeed is.

We have a forum called "Christians Answer"...which is where folks are to ask their questions, it is a non-debate forum and when you start a thread you get to be the center of attention.... So head thataway, and many will be more than glad to, and enjoy, chit chatting with ya. And do their best to answer your questions, and just discuss your thoughts if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfox64 View Post
    As the title of my introduction says, I'm not a believer in God. I grew up in a very Christian home and attended Sunday school when I was a child. I officially stopped going to church when I was in my teens and my parents kicked me out of the house. I was told that if I didn't follow Christianity that I would be grounded to my room, not be allowed to drive, or watch television. I was given an ultimatum which basically said that if I wanted to be a part of the family that I had to go to church. Well, I decided that pretending to believe in God when I really didn't wasn't worth it. My whole experience with church has been a very traumatic one for me because my family has basically disowned me. I found this forum because I wanted to give it another shot and see if the people here are nice. I don't really read the Bible very much because there's so many passages saying so many things I always get really confused. . Thank you for letting me in this forum. It really means a lot!

-Starfox
    Hope you can find something that will help make sense out of everything that has happened to you so far in life! Welcome!!!
    Formerly "Adullam" from other sites!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

Walk in the Light! (
    התהלכו באור)

Proceed slowly toward learning, searching, reading, studying, it can be a long process. Read as many diff viewpoints as you can, listen to debates between leading believers, scientists, atheists etc...........
    Get lots of books, and read a little bit every day.
    If there is one true deity behind our universe, then if you seek it out with earnest, with intellectually honesty, it should reveal itself to you. It might take 3 months or unfortunately it might take 10 years.

Hello and welcome Starfox. Your predicament tugs at my heartstrings, as I'm sure it does for others as well. One brief word of encouragement. God has promised that He will be found when we search for Him with all our heart. Don't be afraid to seek Him. He loves you deeply. He died on the cross for your sins ... and for mine. He is Jesus the Christ. You are in my prayers this evening.

Matthew 11:29
    Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Welcome Starfox. It sounds like your folks and mine might belong to the same group! Looking forward to sharing together with you.

blessings,

Watchman aka Andy
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Hi Starfox
    My kids are far from being Christians, although we took them to Church when they were young. It seriously troubles me that they are not going on with God but they are still our kids and we see and communicate with them and help them out as much as possible. I do blame myself for how I treated them, but I think they just decided to follow what their friends were doing and a lot of that didn't fit in with the life of a believer or perhaps I mean vice-versa.
    You seriously have my sympathy there. Some of us should pray for your parents to get a right attitude about you.

On a brighter note, my wife went away from the Lord for 10 years and stayed away from church. After that time she went to a single meeting, where there was always going to be some kind of offer for prayer at the end. she went forward and asked for prayer and she has been flowing along , stronger than before ever since.

Incidentally I have been talking to Atheists and Agnostics on another forum for years. There don't seem to be too many real Atheists, but lots of Agnostics. Even Richard Dawkins admitted recently he was not 100%. There is something a bit different about you than the usual. Nice to know you.

Hi Starfox,

I agree with what Tony N says about you: that you're a bit different from the usual atheist. I know an atheist online who, since he joined facebook and started reading the atheist sites, has become even more rabidly anti-religious as well as anti-Christian. From the nature of the links posted, and other atheist sites I have seen around, it is common for atheists to be hysterically defensive of their beliefs (which they do not accept are beliefs) and aggressive towards Christianity in particular.

Your parents were wrong to force Christianity on you, and to kick you out when you refused to do as they say. I would class myself as a weak Christian (I think of myself as a Christian but I keep wavering), but what I have read on the forums recently and which I think is pertinent to you, is free will. Christianity isn't about being 'forced' to believe, as your parents tried with you. It's about using free will to read up about Jesus and then to choose by yourself that you believe what the Bible has written about Him. Being forced to believe in a religion is no different to being converted by the sword.

Maybe you feel what I feel - what I think of as a pull towards Christianity. In the past i have researched the other religions and found that they did not provide what i was looking for. At one point I was interested in Roman Catholicism, as I was baptised RC (although attended a Protestant school) and my family is agnostic. I decided that I did not believe in the tenets of Roman Catholicism, and especially the reverence given to the Pope. But if you research Protestant Christianity and you feel something is missing for you, you could research RC. Personally I believe that Protestantism and Catholicism are two routes to the same place, although I have seen that some on here are very much against RC. But it's about using the free will of yours - deciding what you yourself need. God cannot force you to believe. Nor can your parents. It is about what you yourself come to decide from your own reading, and keeping an open mind to the biased viewpoints. Maybe in the end you will once again reject Christianity because you feel it is not for you. But at least after researching it, you will have come to the decision by yourself and thereby exerted your own free will.

-Starfox
    Welcome aboard Starfox.

Hope i can answer some of your questions. Always like helping people with their questions. So i will wait for yours.

What i do suggest is reading one of the Gospels. They are not that long. And maybe you can ask questions as they arise in your mind.

hope to hear from your soon

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Hi there, Starfox64! I'm new here myself, and it's nice to meet you all!
    Good to see an atheist seeking faith on this forum and I'm sorry to hear about your childhood.
    Your family did wrong kicking you out of the house, I can hardly imagine how you felt that time. I can't believe they call themselves religious people as in my opinion a religious person acts only for the sake of love and good.
    I am still an atheist too by the way but I really want to believe in God somehow, and the main reason why I'm here - to get some help.

-Starfox
    I'm sorry to hear that. Truly. Before I was saved/quickened my mother would do all she could to get me to go through the usual ritual of her Catholic church. Going to the youth group for confirmation, being coerced into church though not to the same extent as you. It made me really act out to where i was thrown out of the Youth Group for being "counter productive" so to speak

Fast forward to today though I am not Catholic (i am protestant) I can appreciate that she did what she thought was the best for me. After all with her being the parent she was responsible for raising me in the word.

I just think sometimes parents can go a bit overboard. So i can sympathize with that. Anyways welcome to the board. Your username triggered nostalgia! Good ol starfox
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

I will call those things that be not as though they were: Hon, I will see you in heavne. We will praise GOD/JESUS together, forever. In JESUS CHRIST's name,

Hi Atheist!
    Faith in Christ Jesus can only come by hearing the word of God...

As it is written: So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. - Romans 10:17

Did you actually study and listen to the word of God as a child or did you just attend church, roll easter eggs, and play around?

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timothy 2:15

Can I suggest, dive into the word of God...

welcome starfox main thing is that your happy evrything will fall into place

Blog Entries

Shalom, Starfox. I believe that the Lord wants to prove himself real to you, and I know the friendly people here will treat you with kindness and respect. I hope through your experience here, you will decide soon to walk into a church on your own volition (No pressure, belief is not a pre-requesite) Our Faith should never be forced on anyone. Accepting Christ in your heart is a choice that only you can make, no one can pressure you into it. The Holy Spirit is a gentleman, and Jesus knocks at the door. If you are seeking, you will find, but I think everyone here will be happy to let you work at your own pace. Good luck in your search. Once you experience the Living God, you'll want more.

Thread Information