cure-real

View Poll Results: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,everytime.

16 84.21%
  • No, never

0 0%
  • No, only sometimes

3 15.79%
  • No, for the Jews only

0 0%
Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages?

Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages?

For which one do you vote?

Which ones do you believe we should leave out?

Why were some of His commands different to the Old Covenant?

Is the Old Covenant better than the New?

Just a few interesting points of discussion.
    Last edited by Arrow; Apr 5th 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: I can't change spelling in the subject line, should be Were

Re: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages

"Why were some of His commands different to the Old Covenant?"

Can you give a example ?

Re: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages

I know that there are those who dissect and parse scripture and make complicated roadmaps of the verses, but I cannot see my way to do that. Jesus preached to many in the land of the Israel, but some of those who followed him to the mountains and to Gallilee were not the children of Abraham. Jesus confirmed the laws of God in the Sermon on the Mount, but also explained them to be more than once understood. They are for everyone. Jesus greatest commandments and his commission were for everyone.

Your question can lead to a lengthy discussion because of Jesus' use of Saul/Paul to establish His church among the gentiles. Paul had a lot more to teach, explain, and say to those in the growing church of Jesus. Paul even gave some instructions that didn't necessarily fit the teaching of Jesus - especially about the subject of divorce. While we can still see the teaching of Jesus as the direct desires of God, we see that Paul was allowed to adapt to problems as they arose. I have to believe that it was all within the will of God even though it can be a bit confusing.

So, Yes, everything that Jesus taught was for all - to be given to all - and until Christ Jesus comes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    Why were some of His commands different to the Old Covenant?
    Leviticus 24:20
    fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Matt 5:38 'You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.'

Are there any others besides this one?

I didn't vote in the poll. I see some of Jesus teachings as being for authority, (i.e. those in government), while some being to believers in general. A blanket statement like the poll is asking for is difficult to fit in all situations with Jesus statements.

Also, I think there's a difference between the "law of God" and the "law of Moses". But perhaps, that's another thread.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by tea View Post
    Leviticus 24:20
    fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Matt 5:38 'You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.'

Are there any others besides this one?
    Even though he said this, was it a commandment or was it a encouragement ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack702 View Post
    Commandment. Jesus is correcting misuse of the law and wrong teachers. Leviticus 24 is social, not personal. Jesus shows how to take it to a personal level the right way. In Leviticus 24 it's

Lev 24:15 And speak to the people of Israel, saying, Whoever curses his God shall bear his sin.
    Lev 24:16 Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.
    Lev 24:17 "Whoever takes a human life shall surely be put to death.
    Lev 24:18 Whoever takes an animal's life shall make it good, life for life.
    Lev 24:19 If anyone injures his neighbor, as he has done it shall be done to him,
    Lev 24:20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; whatever injury he has given a person shall be given to him.

In Matthew 5 it's

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
    Mat 5:39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
    Mat 5:40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.
    Mat 5:41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.

Do you think killing and loss of property can be compared to a slap and sue. The loss of property is completely different than being sued.

Jesus was consistent.

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
    Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
    Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
    Mat 5:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
    Mat 5:36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
    Mat 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
    Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Are these encouragements?
    Last edited by Noeb; Apr 7th 2012 at 04:57 AM.

Mat 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Is this a commandment ?

--------
    1Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

28And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his "doctrine"

29For he "taught" them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Doctrine (Latin: doctrina) is a codification of beliefs or a body of teachings or instructions, taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system. The Greek analogy is the etymology of catechism.

My argument is that Jesus did not change not one of God's commandments.

Is this a commandment ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    Commandment.
    Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
    Mat 5:34 But I say unto you

So do you think Jesus changed God's commandments ?

Or are you saying that he simply encouraged us to take them further ?

Or are you saying that he simply encouraged us to take them further ?
    Who has made an oath and not kept it? The law doesn't say we must make oaths, it says don't do it and not keep it. He's taking is to its conclusion (filling up the law, showing it perfectly), that we will fail to keep an oath. Instead, say you will with the intent to, or say you won't with the intent not to.

How is filling up the law, showing it perfectly changing it?

It's not. Thats my point.
    The law was not changed at all in my opinion.
    All that Jesus did was encourage us to take the law and run with it.
    Apply it for more than just convicting each other. Rather apply it to help one another.

I thinkl it was a command.
    What do you think?

Thread Information