cure-real

View Poll Results: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,everytime.

16 84.21%
  • No, never

0 0%
  • No, only sometimes

3 15.79%
  • No, for the Jews only

0 0%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages?

Blog Entries

Re: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    Where are you talking about?
    Noeb,
    For the life of me, I cannot find the verse again!
    But I know I read it!
    It is: I gave you some laws that were not good for you.
    I guess this shows what can happen if you have over a dozen translations and you read from all of them!
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

Re: Where all of Jesus commands for all the people, all the time, throughout the ages

Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    He gave us some laws that were not good for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post

Matt 5:38-39

38 " You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
    NASU

Jesus was teaching people that what they had heard was not correct. It was not for them to take an eye for an eye.
    I am not saying I agree with both of you on this, but are you saying the same thing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tea View Post
    I am not saying I agree with both of you on this, but are you saying the same thing?
    Hah! You can always tell who reads the posts and doesn't skim along.
    Maybe.....
    Still looking for that dang verse.
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    Noeb,
    For the life of me, I cannot find the verse again!
    But I know I read it!
    It is: I gave you some laws that were not good for you.
    I guess this shows what can happen if you have over a dozen translations and you read from all of them!
    You are looking for Ezek 20:25

Eze 20:25 Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live; KJV

The NKJV, NIV and several others as well as Albert Barnes, Adam Clarke, Jamieson Fausset and Brown and others rightly divide the word of truth here...

Eze 20:25 “Therefore I also gave them up to statutes that were not good, and judgments by which they could not live; NKJV

Ezek 20:25 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; NIV

Why did God do this? One can easily determine this from the context...

Eze 20:7 Then said I unto them, Cast ye away every man the abominations of his eyes, and defile not yourselves with the idols of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
    Eze 20:8 But they rebelled against me, and would not hearken unto me: they did not every man cast away the abominations of their eyes, neither did they forsake the idols of Egypt: then I said, I will pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt.
    Eze 20:9 But I wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, among whom they were, in whose sight I made myself known unto them, in bringing them forth out of the land of Egypt.
    Eze 20:10 Wherefore I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt, and brought them into the wilderness.
    Eze 20:11 And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.
    Eze 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
    Eze 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.
    Eze 20:14 But I wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, in whose sight I brought them out.
    Eze 20:15 Yet also I lifted up my hand unto them in the wilderness, that I would not bring them into the land which I had given them, flowing with milk and honey, which is the glory of all lands;
    Eze 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.
    Eze 20:17 Nevertheless mine eye spared them from destroying them, neither did I make an end of them in the wilderness.
    Eze 20:18 But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols:
    Eze 20:19 I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
    Eze 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God.
    Eze 20:21 Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness.
    Eze 20:22 Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth.
    Eze 20:23 I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries;
    Eze 20:24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.

God pleaded with them to obey His commandments, statutes and judgments but they refused. So, He gave them over to laws that were of their own choosing that were not good for them. He did not give them bad laws, He allowed them to take for themselves the bad laws they wanted.

Verse 26 says why. To the end that they might know that I am the Lord.

I agree 100% with what Brother Mark said in post #26. Do you?
    From post 26
    Jesus didn't do away with eye for an eye.
    From post 55

Matt 5:38-39

38 " You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
    NASU

Jesus was teaching people that what they had heard was not correct. It was not for them to take an eye for an eye.
    I don't agree with Mark in his post 26, but he seems to change his view in 55, which I agree with.

Which post do you agree with Mark on? His 26, or 55?

From post 26

From post 55

I don't agree with Mark in his post 26, but he seems to change his view in 55, which I agree with.

Those posts (55 and 26) are in agreement. He didn't do away with "eye for an eye". He taught them how it was to be properly applied. It's not for them to take an eye for an eye. It's for the government. That was true in the OT as well as it was the NT. What they had heard taught was different than what was written. That's why Jesus spoke against what was "said" and not against what was "written".
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Both.............

Jesus didn't do away with eye for an eye.
    Let's go slowly here.
    You said the above right?
    Well when I go to Matt 5, I see;'38 Ye have heard that it hath been said , An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.'

This is not keeping what was said or written[said and written were exactly the same if you go back and read Lev]

If an eye for an eye was to be kept, then surley Jesus would have said ;'whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, smite him on his right cheek too.'?
    But He didn't.

Let's go slowly here.
    You said the above right?
    Well when I go to Matt 5, I see;'38 Ye have heard that it hath been said , An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.'

This is not keeping what was said or written[said and written were exactly the same if you go back and read Lev]

If an eye for an eye was to be kept, then surley Jesus would have said ;'whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, smite him on his right cheek too.'?
    But He didn't.
    You are mixing apples with oranges with your comment.

The eye for an eye principle is that if you cause someone loss, you are to restore in equal to the loss. If you caused someone to lose an eye, you were not to have an eye put out yourself, you were to provide for that person all that the loss of the eye was worth for the rest of his life. Responsibility for actions. The Jews have understood this from that time to this.

Jesus was commenting on the principle of vengeance or revenge. If someone strikes you on the cheek, the normal response is "I'll fix his wagon". The Christian response is to forgive without thought of revenge.

What we are saying is that eye for an eye is for government to enforce. The principle had worked its way into how we behave personal on a personal level and Jesus said that is wrong application of the governing law.

See Exodus 21:22

See Exodus 21:22
    Exo 21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

This would be my point exactly, you did not go and kill the man's child, you paid for your actions by restoring.

Quote Originally Posted by John 8:32 View Post
    Jesus was commenting on the principle of vengeance or revenge. If someone strikes you on the cheek, the normal response is "I'll fix his wagon". The Christian response is to forgive without thought of revenge.
    I partialy agree with this, but I'd say Jesus was going MUCH further than talking about revenge!
    If you say what you say above, then you agree, that Jesus is thus anulling an eye for an eye, not so?

What we are saying is that eye for an eye is for government to enforce.
    How do you get this?
    The sermon on the mount was to disciples, was it not?
    Or, is the rest of the sermon to disciples, and the verses [Matt 5] from 38 to the end were for the government?
    What did you think of my post 69?

Thread Information