cure-real
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

  1. #1

    Question What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    I haven't seen any miracles similar to those told in the Bible nor has anyone I know. So how can we know the miracles told in the Bible are true? Obviously, millions of people wouldn't believe it if there wasn't at least some kind of somewhat believable evidence. But where is that evidence?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    2,630
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tirapu View Post
    What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    I haven't seen any miracles similar to those told in the Bible nor has anyone I know. So how can we know the miracles told in the Bible are true? Obviously, millions of people wouldn't believe it if there wasn't at least some kind of somewhat believable evidence. But where is that evidence?
    "Eyewitness To Jesus" (Video, 1998) is a good place to start. There's plenty of evidence that the gospels were indeed written by people who did live with Jesus. But it doesn't matter how much evidence there is, it takes your personal choice to believe it to be true.
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

  3. #3

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    I'd say absolutely no evidence.
    I don't think we can rely on biased biblical writers to account for the miracles.
    Three centuries passed aprx before the new test. books starting being accumulated.
    I'd say that's plenty of time to have stories embellished or changed.
    What major religion arose from this period?
    Not evangelical christianity as practiced today but Roman Catholicism.

  4. #4

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Well, millions of people could believe, and do believe, but not based on any physical evidence, but on somewhat weak rational evidence, assuming bibilical accounts written were preserved in truth and accurately.
    And that the accounts weren't symbolic in nature.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,994
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    There are also some very easy- read books written by a man named Lee Stroebel.
    He was a journalist who decided to interview christians and historians to try to determine if there was any evidence that God exists. He walked away in the end, convinced. Not that all who pick up one of his books will believe also, but he lays out the skeleton of what he found and then leaves it for the reader to decide.
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tirapu View Post
    What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    I haven't seen any miracles similar to those told in the Bible nor has anyone I know. So how can we know the miracles told in the Bible are true? Obviously, millions of people wouldn't believe it if there wasn't at least some kind of somewhat believable evidence. But where is that evidence?
    I'll share a modern-day miracle with you. Her name is Marolyn Ford. You can look her up on Google.

    She grew up not to far from where I live but she now lives in Tennessee. I've never met her, but I know about her story. She lost her sight at age 18. The doctors told her that the damage could not be repaired. She eventually married and had a child - not knowing what either one looked like. Every night her husband prayed for her vision to be restored. One night, while they were praying, her sight came back instantaneously. The doctors were very puzzled. You see, the damage to her eyes had not been healed. By all practical purposes, she should not be able to see anything except pitch black darkness. Her eyes were not healed, but her vision was restored nonetheless.

    But here's the heart of the matter, Tirapu. This story isn't going to make you believe in miracles nor the God of them. That's just not how miracles work.

    People wish that God would "give evidence" of Himself all of the time. God doesn't have to prove anything to anyone by performing any circus tricks.

    Let me share with you some people in the Bible who actually saw miracles and yet it didn't spur them to believe anything. The story is found in John 6. 5,000 people were fed miraculously with the 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. They saw that miracle for themselves. They ate the food that Jesus openly and publicly blessed and miraculously began to multiply. The next day, Jesus and his disciples ended up in Caperaum and these same people followed Him wanting Him to come back and live in their town and provide for them like a magic genie. He told them that they were thinking with their stomachs. He said that He was the Bread of Life and had so much more to offer than a free lunch. He said that He had come from the Father. They asked how to satisfy the Father and Jesus said to believe on the One He sent, meaning Himself. You know what they said. "Show us a miracle and we will believe you.". How ignorant. How soon they forgot of the miracle just 24 hours earlier.

    The Bible records that the people, some whom had claimed to be Jesus' followers abandoned Him at that point. They didn't want to hear about His claim of being the Son of God, the Bread of Life, or anything pertaining to His being Lord.

    Next, Jesus turned to the 12 men with Him and said,
    "Are you going to leave me, too."? Peter and the rest were having trouble understanding all that Jesus was talking about with the "Bread of Life" stuff and the "eat of my body and blood". The chapter records their lack of understanding.

    But Peter said, "Where would we go? You are the only one with the word of eternal life. And we believe them."

    The ancient Israelites also saw profound miracles of God and yet turned their backs on Him over and over and over.

    The purpose of the miracles of Jesus Christ were to give a sign that His gospel was true. And the apostles were allowed to perfrom miracles to authenticate themselves. The gospel today had been found credible. We have the message of the Christ and the gospel presented by the the apostles in the scriptures. Miracles today are not what is needed, even though miracles do still occur. Faith - in the credible Jesus - is necessary. That's the important thing.




    ".....it's your nickel"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,532
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I'll share a modern-day miracle with you. Her name is Marolyn Ford. You can look her up on Google.

    She grew up not to far from where I live but she now lives in Tennessee. I've never met her, but I know about her story. She lost her sight at age 18. The doctors told her that the damage could not be repaired. She eventually married and had a child - not knowing what either one looked like. Every night her husband prayed for her vision to be restored. One night, while they were praying, her sight came back instantaneously. The doctors were very puzzled. You see, the damage to her eyes had not been healed. By all practical purposes, she should not be able to see anything except pitch black darkness. Her eyes were not healed, but her vision was restored nonetheless.

    But here's the heart of the matter, Tirapu. This story isn't going to make you believe in miracles nor the God of them. That's just not how miracles work.

    People wish that God would "give evidence" of Himself all of the time. God doesn't have to prove anything to anyone by performing any circus tricks.

    Let me share with you some people in the Bible who actually saw miracles and yet it didn't spur them to believe anything. The story is found in John 6. 5,000 people were fed miraculously with the 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. They saw that miracle for themselves. They ate the food that Jesus openly and publicly blessed and miraculously began to multiply. The next day, Jesus and his disciples ended up in Caperaum and these same people followed Him wanting Him to come back and live in their town and provide for them like a magic genie. He told them that they were thinking with their stomachs. He said that He was the Bread of Life and had so much more to offer than a free lunch. He said that He had come from the Father. They asked how to satisfy the Father and Jesus said to believe on the One He sent, meaning Himself. You know what they said. "Show us a miracle and we will believe you.". How ignorant. How soon they forgot of the miracle just 24 hours earlier.

    The Bible records that the people, some whom had claimed to be Jesus' followers abandoned Him at that point. They didn't want to hear about His claim of being the Son of God, the Bread of Life, or anything pertaining to His being Lord.

    Next, Jesus turned to the 12 men with Him and said,
    "Are you going to leave me, too."? Peter and the rest were having trouble understanding all that Jesus was talking about with the "Bread of Life" stuff and the "eat of my body and blood". The chapter records their lack of understanding.

    But Peter said, "Where would we go? You are the only one with the word of eternal life. And we believe them."

    The ancient Israelites also saw profound miracles of God and yet turned their backs on Him over and over and over.

    The purpose of the miracles of Jesus Christ were to give a sign that His gospel was true. And the apostles were allowed to perfrom miracles to authenticate themselves. The gospel today had been found credible. We have the message of the Christ and the gospel presented by the the apostles in the scriptures. Miracles today are not what is needed, even though miracles do still occur. Faith - in the credible Jesus - is necessary. That's the important thing.




    I would rep you if I could: excellent answer.
    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
    Rich Mullins

    For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

  8. #8

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoffee View Post
    I would rep you if I could: excellent answer.
    Got you covered CC!

  9. #9

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceegen View Post
    "Eyewitness To Jesus" (Video, 1998) is a good place to start. There's plenty of evidence that the gospels were indeed written by people who did live with Jesus. But it doesn't matter how much evidence there is, it takes your personal choice to believe it to be true.
    Truth and belief are not related. Belief is subjective, while truth is objective. I can believe more than anything in the world that you own ten unicorns, but that doesn't make it any less false that you own ten unicorns.

    Just because the gospels were written by people who lived with Jesus doesn't mean the writers didn't either make it up or embellish facts.

  10. #10

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    There are also some very easy- read books written by a man named Lee Stroebel.
    He was a journalist who decided to interview christians and historians to try to determine if there was any evidence that God exists. He walked away in the end, convinced. Not that all who pick up one of his books will believe also, but he lays out the skeleton of what he found and then leaves it for the reader to decide.
    If it's all true, then why are there so many skeptics?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    2,630
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tirapu View Post
    If it's all true, then why are there so many skeptics?
    This answer is easy

    Free will!
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,532
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tirapu View Post
    If it's all true, then why are there so many skeptics?
    Two questions:

    1) If it is all untrue, why are there so many believers, especially in the early church when people could be eye-witnesses to what Jesus was saying?

    2) If it is not true, then why are there so many skeptics to all other, worldly views?
    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
    Rich Mullins

    For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,269
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    I see two reasons why people are skeptical of the Bible and of God.

    • People do not know what the Bible actually and truly says. They think they know. They hear rumors and things about the Bible. They've been taught traditions and told stories about God. They've read commentaries and look for people who write things that they agree with. This goes for believers and non-believers alike. There are countless people leading all kind of non-believing atheistic crusades and a believer's "moral" fundamentalist crusades who wouldn't know what the Bible REALLY said if you smacked them over the head with it. Ignorance - on both sides - abounds profusely. Not only do people not read the actual scriptures, but they do not study it, meditate on it, or do their homework.
    • If the Bible is true and God is real and sovereign, holy, merciful, and just then for many people, therein lies the problem. If it's all true, then they are going to have to obey Him. And far too many people enjoy being their own god and stubbornly rebel against being told "what to do." If it's true, then they must change and they believe they must "give up" things. They don't understand the concept of surrender.




    ".....it's your nickel"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    2,630
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tirapu View Post
    Truth and belief are not related. Belief is subjective, while truth is objective. I can believe more than anything in the world that you own ten unicorns, but that doesn't make it any less false that you own ten unicorns.

    Just because the gospels were written by people who lived with Jesus doesn't mean the writers didn't either make it up or embellish facts.
    Ten unicorns? No way, that's 7 too many. I own 3. They're little glass figurines that my mother-in-law gave to us when we moved away!

    What possible motive would they have to "embellish the facts"? Christians were being killed by Jews and Romans and all over the world at large, especially true of that last one even to this day and age. It's not like being a Christian was popular back then. The "church" were whole communities, sharing everything in common and doing good things for people who needed help. I mean, the head of the church, Jesus, was killed. He even told us "and the world will hate you and kill you, as they did to me". It's not a very popular idea, but it still spread very quickly. Why?

    You want evidence of modern day miracles? Maybe that might open your eyes to miracles that have happened (as recorded) in the bible?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-oJt_U-Iw

    In the above link, is a video trailer for the movie "Military Miracles" which chronicles the events of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment's eye witness accounts of miracles. This includes an RPG that hit a HMMWV which tore the roof off, but left all 4 occupants were uninjured. Also, a bullet entered one Marine's helmet, traveled along the INSIDE curve of the helmet, and exited the other side. How do you rationally explain these things, and so many of these types of events on the same day in the same battle? They also have a facebook page, for those interested: http://www.facebook.com/Military.Miracles

    And that's just one story. There are many like it, but it isn't reported very often. No one likes to talk about miracles, and chance being labeled "crazy". This is why these stories don't get much attention. It would mean that the bible may very well have some validity, and that means we might have to actually follow what's in it. That's a scary thought!

    No one likes being told they're wrong, and I could tell you that you're wrong, but that isn't my point. See it from my perspective: As a Christian, we are told that everyone is a sinner. We are also told that people who refuse to admit that they're in sin, are blind to the truth. As a fellow sinner, (because I wasn't always a Christian, and no person is born a Christian either), WE as Christians want you to see that God isn't a sadist, a tyrant. We have free will, a choice to accept or reject God. In that choice to reject God, comes sin. God warns us not to sin, because He loves us, not because He wants to punish us. If there were no punishment for sin, then how would God be able to punish the one entity that is responsible for all this mess: Satan?

    Now bear with me, and still try to see this through my eyes. I've been in your shoes, and I've asked these questions to myself plenty of times. So yeah, if what the bible says is true (and from my perspective, it is), then what the bible says about WHO is responsible for all of this mess is startling. You see, if God is as great as He says He is (true), then what the bible tells us of what God says about Satan is true. This means we have a real enemy, an actual evil entity, known as Satan, working against you to keep you from God's truth. Satan IS the "bad guy" in this story.

    So we, as Christians, want you to see that your denial of God is a sin, and repent, and not believe Satan's lies which cause your mortal soul to die. We want you to share eternity with us in everlasting life, found in God, who as Jesus, died for your sins. Is not that the most wonderful message, ever? That God loves you, so very-very much, He was willing to die for you?

    With all that, with that trust and faith in a "living and breathing God", comes miracles. God loves to reward us when we are faithful, to spread the good news. Miracles do indeed happen, and they are a testament to His compassion to those who call upon His holy name: Jesus. That's all it takes, to be saved. Believe it is true, and accept Jesus into your life and live. We are all rooting for your victory over Satan, who whispers in your ear, "Don't believe THEM, they're clinically insane! They're LYING!" Satan is real, and very dangerous. Don't believe his lies!
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

  15. #15

    Re: What evidence is there that the miracles told in the Bible are true?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoffee View Post
    Two questions:

    1) If it is all untrue, why are there so many believers, especially in the early church when people could be eye-witnesses to what Jesus was saying?
    Because most of the believers are too gullible to realize they should evaluate it rationally.

    2) If it is not true, then why are there so many skeptics to all other, worldly views?
    Same reason there are so many skeptics towards the God of the Bible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Dec 12th 2013, 12:39 AM
  2. Need Advice: How do you know the Bible is true?
    By Cent6 in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Apr 7th 2012, 01:41 AM
  3. Historical evidence of the bible
    By Punchy in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: Mar 28th 2011, 01:42 PM
  4. Evidence of omniscience in the bible?
    By powlette in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Apr 1st 2009, 06:22 PM
  5. How do we know that the bible is true?
    By baka in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 17th 2008, 11:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •