cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Christian life is a bit like a yo-yo ...

Re: My Christian life is a bit like a yo-yo ...

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Re. the Holy Spirit. I was thinking I mustn't have it, because I thought that I would know if I had it. But some of the things today and my thoughts are making me re-consider, actually. Although what you said about the tarot etc may truly be a sign. I've had no interest in such things since I threw them away a few years ago (although it was a sporadic interest even when I had them). If I did have the Holy Spirit though, wouldn't it prevent me from losing interest, as I do, in Christianity? Usually after a while I lose interest, forget about it completely for a bit, become more aware after a while of my distance, and eventually feel the pull back, which I respond to. I have just re-read Quickened's reply and I think maybe that answers my question. Maybe I am yo-yoing about with Christianity for a reason.
    Well if a person is uninterested in something they tend not to come back to it. So what is that keeps on sparking your interest in Christianity? Maybe the Holy Spirit...

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Originally Posted by Camellia

Re. the Holy Spirit. I was thinking I mustn't have it, because I thought that I would know if I had it. But some of the things today and my thoughts are making me re-consider, actually. Although what you said about the tarot etc may truly be a sign. I've had no interest in such things since I threw them away a few years ago (although it was a sporadic interest even when I had them). If I did have the Holy Spirit though, wouldn't it prevent me from losing interest, as I do, in Christianity? Usually after a while I lose interest, forget about it completely for a bit, become more aware after a while of my distance, and eventually feel the pull back, which I respond to. I have just re-read Quickened's reply and I think maybe that answers my question. Maybe I am yo-yoing about with Christianity for a reason.
    Commenting on this part of your original message, I can see that there's hesitation in you, and that hesitation to receive the Holy Spirit is preventing you from truly letting go and letting God. I can cite a few reasons why you don't want the Holy Spirit: It's possible that you are clinging to something the Holy Spirit will not tolerate; It's possible that you're not worthy to receive the Holy Spirit because you think you're the worst sinner; It's possible that you feel like you need something more concrete, as an evidence to God and the Holy Spirit's existence before you receive it.

Of course none of these could be your case. However, if you feel like you can relate to any of these, then all the more reason you need to seek guidance. In your prayer, just ask for these spiritual gifts: faith, wisdom, patience, endurance, compasion. Open your heart to Him and don't be shy. Start by accepting your shortcomings. Yes, even in terms of lack of faith, wisdom, endurance, etc. May His grace pour out on you, Camellia.

Thanks adstars for your common sense by saying that! It's true that i wouldn't keep coming back, if I was truly uninterested.

Jecelpabor, you wrote:
    In your prayer, just ask for these spiritual gifts: faith, wisdom, patience, endurance, compasion. Open your heart to Him and don't be shy. Start by accepting your shortcomings. Yes, even in terms of lack of faith, wisdom, endurance, etc.
    What you wrote made me smile, truly. You people really seem to understand me. I will try that.

I liked your list of reasons as to why I might be struggling. I think it's because I don't wholeheartedly believe about everything about Jesus. I know He existed, and I superficially believe what was written - I still have doubts.

How do I remove my doubts? Is it something I can overcome by reading, or is it just that I have to take the plunge and try to believe wholeheartedly? I want to believe fully, to know it is all true rather than doubting, but there is something preventing me and I don't know what.

This is why I think of myself as being a weak Christian. I don't have any conviction behind me.

Blog Entries

How do I remove my doubts? Is it something I can overcome by reading, or is it just that I have to take the plunge and try to believe wholeheartedly? I want to believe fully, to know it is all true rather than doubting, but there is something preventing me and I don't know what.

This is why I think of myself as being a weak Christian. I don't have any conviction behind me.
    You may not have written this to everyone, but if I could comment . . .

I don't think you just "take the plunge" over doubts. Then we could just be Islam or Mormon or whatever we choose and just "take the plunge". If you have doubts, express them.

Be specific if you could. What do you have a hard time believing? It can be one thing or a hundred things. But do share.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

Thank you, TrustGzus.

I find it hard to express how I feel. I want to believe in Jesus, yet He doesn't feel like He was/ is a true person to me (although when He lost His temper in the temple, that always felt vividly real to me. Maybe I don't have doubts as such. Maybe it is hard simply because He doesn't feel like a real person to me.

It's weird, really: a year or two ago I accepted Jesus into my life, but now I feel my mindset erases it, and I feel I must do it again when I am comfortable enough. The fact that I said it out loud, but to myself, maybe made a difference? Maybe I should have said it in public?

Blog Entries

Jesus is really unique. He is what no one else ever was or will be. We are 100% human. Jesus is truly God and truly human. Hebrews chapter 2 gives a wonderful commentary on this. Actually, there is a lot of good commentary on Jesus in the epistle to the Hebrews.

He was tempted in all ways that we are, yet he never sinned. That being said, he experienced the range of human emotions as you pointed out a great example. He got angry. He was betrayed. He got hungry. He got tired and slept. He truly did exist contrary to what some pseudo-scholars are trying to say today.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

You know, I think it's all working.

I had an odd 'coincidence' last night ...

As part of my 'Read the Bible in a year' yesterday, I was to read a section of one of the Gospels. At bedtime I decided to read it.

So I began reading the section I thought I was supposed to read. I thought I was reading Luke 13 onwards, but actually this morning I found I'd been reading Matthew 13. While I was reading it last night, I was amazed at how topical it was for me.

Matthew 13:3 Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. 5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. 8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

13: 20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. 22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. 23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.” [NKJV]

I think maybe I am the stony places one.

But I do feel I am making progress.

Last night I was reading the KJV as I couldn't find my NKJV, and it actually made sense to me.

And whenever I've been praying before, I've begun by saying, 'Lord' but last night when reading I came across the word 'Father' and decided I would try saying that instead of Lord, and it makes me feel much closer and like I am being held, if that makes sense.

And probably reading more of the Bible is giving me a better understanding of how it is written. Some of what Jesus said actually made me laugh when I read it.

I suppose I've been trying to believe in Jesus without bothering to get to know Him first. And reading the OT is getting me to know how God feels towards humans too. This time I am making good ground for myself.

You'd be surprised. You may just be the good ground but it is taking a little while for growth. Trees don't grow overnight. Sometimes seeds lay dormant for a time awaiting proper conditions for good growth.

I am glad that you are benefiting from your reading by the way. That really gladdened me this morning!
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Blog Entries

I find it hard to express how I feel. I want to believe in Jesus, yet He doesn't feel like He was/ is a true person to me (although when He lost His temper in the temple, that always felt vividly real to me. Maybe I don't have doubts as such. Maybe it is hard simply because He doesn't feel like a real person to me.

It's weird, really: a year or two ago I accepted Jesus into my life, but now I feel my mindset erases it, and I feel I must do it again when I am comfortable enough. The fact that I said it out loud, but to myself, maybe made a difference? Maybe I should have said it in public?
    Witnessing in public is important, because the Bible says that everything is established by 2 or 3 witnesses. That's why we are baptized in front of witnesses. We profess our faith and make a public declaration via baptism.

If Jesus doesn't "feel" like a real person to you then ask the Holy Spirit to reveal Him to you. That's what He came to do. Jesus said that the Spirit takes the things of God and reveals them to us. The Holy Spirit, by the way is not an "it". He is God. He is the Spirit of God and fully divine. So ask Him to reveal Jesus to you. He will. Ask Him to help you understand Scripture. He will. He was there when all those things happened that the Bible talks about. So who better to explain them to you?

I'd still highly encourage you to find a church to be discipled and to find people to fellowship with. Don't wait until you think you "have it all together". The point of fellowshipping with others is to be encouraged and strengthened in our faith, to seek God together, to learn together, to be with mature believers that can help us along. It's important. Do it sooner rather than later. Jesus made us all part of a Body because we all need each other. We fellowship not only with God but also with each other. It's the way God has designed it, so don't struggle alone. Find a church where you can go to the pastor and say "I have a lot of questions and I'm here to learn because there is a lot I don't know". Any church worth their salt would be happy to take a young believer and a person of weaker faith, under their wings to help you grow. Because we've all been new believers and we've all been people of weaker faith. Where would we all be if someone hadn't discipled and mentored us?

Thank you everyone for all your encouraging responses

From my reading of my bible and how everything has fit together recently, it finally fully convinced me: and I said the wonderful prayer that's on the 'How to be saved' thread in the Christian Answers forum. And I am filled with joy!!!

So thank you SO MUCH, everyone, for what you've been doing to help me; and I hope you will be able to guide me also in my Christian walk, and that I can help you, if every you are in need of it

I am going to find a church, and tell them I am a new Christian (as I'm not sure if it counted, how I was before, despite having already said a similar prayer, but maybe I hadn't believed enough then ...) and see what happens. I would like to be baptised, but I am not sure that the church I'm going to try (which is a Methodist church, as it's the nearest) will do such a thing. Does it matter that I was baptised RC as a baby?

From my reading of my bible and how everything has fit together recently, it finally fully convinced me: and I said the wonderful prayer that's on the 'How to be saved' thread in the Christian Answers forum. And I am filled with joy!!!

So thank you SO MUCH, everyone, for what you've been doing to help me; and I hope you will be able to guide me also in my Christian walk, and that I can help you, if every you are in need of it

I am going to find a church, and tell them I am a new Christian (as I'm not sure if it counted, how I was before, despite having already said a similar prayer, but maybe I hadn't believed enough then ...) and see what happens. I would like to be baptised, but I am not sure that the church I'm going to try (which is a Methodist church, as it's the nearest) will do such a thing. Does it matter that I was baptised RC as a baby?

This is truly remarkable. You made me glad today, indeed! Now you know the secret of Christ; it's a secret because you will never ever be able to truly explain to people the joy you have in you now that you discovered Christ and His love. One thing is for sure, though I don't have words to express it, is that all Christians feel this unfathomable joy in Christ. And I feel joy now because you've been found. I can definitely say that it is true that whenever a sheep is found, God rejoices. I know it because as human as I am, I am rejoicing now. This is because I have Christ in me, and I in Him. Ask, seek, knock. You did all these things and now look at what you got! Blessings to the people here. Blessings to you. Blessings and praises to God!

PS: Now that you know Him, you will tell people about Him; for this is natural when you receive him - you can't just contain Him!

I am glad to read this post this morning! Thank you for sharing your struggles, doubts and questions with us. To me that is the best part about this community. To help encourage people to come to Christ and aid them in the Word throughout their walk.

I am not too knowledgeable on Methodist churches but I bet you $1 that if you found a baptist church you would have no problem!

Your question "does it matter that i was baptized RC as a Baby?" probably could be it's own thread. It would probably be like 20 pages by noon as well. Years ago on this board I was studying baptism and it actually made me change my position in a sense. I had a conviction that I needed to be rebaptized as well mainly because it was part of the process that we saw in the book of Acts. It came to be part and parcel of the experience. The Ethiopian Eunuch heard the word, believed and was baptized.

I would encourage you to do a small study on what denominations believe and practice. I know that may sound daunting but you would be surprised how a church that may conveniently located may actually be counter productive to your spiritual growth. The churches near me personally aren't anything I would recommend to anyone. Take a little time and pray that God guide you to the right one. Where Christ is proclaimed and the bible is taught in depth.

Again thank you for sharing this with us! It's a good start to this Friday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I laughed at what you said, quickened:

I am not too knowledgeable on Methodist churches but I bet you $1 that if you found a baptist church you would have no problem!

but actually ...

I had decided to go to the Methodist church because it was nearest and I have only lived here a couple of months and from my googling I didn't find any churches especially accessible to walk to (as I don't have a car, can't really afford bus fares, and don't have a bike).

But then a couple of days ago, my friend, who's both been ill and had connection problems with her computer, turned up online after a couple of months' absence (she lives in Australia).

Tonight we have been chatting online, and I told her I was now a Christian, and she said that she was thinking of re-joining her Anglican church!

And our discussions led me to google again, and what did I find but TWO churches fairly near to me that I can get to: one a Baptist (which I prefer, as I've attened a Baptist church before and liked it, and I want to be baptised) and a Church of England church. Both are in easy walking distance. I can't see how I missed them before!

So I thank God for pointing these out to me
    What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not hesitate to leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it?

And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!'

(Luke 15:4 - 6 NKJV)

Read the entire Book of James for insight into vacillating for Christ!

God bless!

Thread Information