cure-real

Thread: How do you know when God opens a door

How do you know when God opens a door

I don't know where to post this, so someone can move it if it needs to be. I have been a Christian for five years but up until a few months ago I was just going through the motions. Pretty much living for myself and not for God. But God has brought me through so much and I am ready to step out in faith and minister to others. I have now surrendered my whole life to God. I am closer to God and more grounded in my faith than I had been. I also reevaluated my life and faith after facing a cancer scare last month. Thank God it was not cancer. I feel that God has given me another chance at life. This made me realize that it was time to fully live for Him. I go to an amazing church that I have been at for four years. We have new leadership and I love them. They are defintely God sent. My pastor is one that really helped me when I admitted to being depressed. I did not seek professional help, but I feel that I am over that. I feel that it was somewhat of a major spiritual battle that I felt trapped in.

I have helped out with many different age groups in the church and I am currently helping with the younger age group. I plan on stepping down from that position soon. I am just waiting for God to release me from this position. Over the past few weeks I have gotten this desire to help with the youth/teenagers. This desire is a surprise to me. I have always told myself that I wouldn't want to work with teenagers. There is just too much drama that goes along with being a teenager such as gossip, clickes and relationship issues. I've actually been saying no to God about this and asking Him to take this desire away from me. But it doesn't look like that is happening. This is where I need help or guidance as I have never really been through this type of transition before. How do I know this desire is truly coming from God? How do I know it is not the enemy trying to get me invovled in something that I shouldn't be involved in to trip me up? You will understand that as you read on down. Someone in my church told me to pray for God to open the doors that He wants opened and close the ones that He wants closed. I have began doing that, but how do I know if a door has been opened? It's not likely that someone will approach me to ask if I want to help with the youth. I feel that I need to take some kind of step to pursue this, but I don't want to push a door open that God didn't intend for me to go through. The thing is we also have a new youth pastor. He has only been with our church for a couple weeks. Actually this Sunday was his first service with the whole church because the youth meet at a different location on Wednesdays. I would like to speak to him to see if he would be okay with me helping. But I don't know how to go about that. I feel I should wait until he gets more settled in his position before talking to him. But I also would like to see if it is something that I would want to get involved in.

Another thing and this is where the enemy could come in and do something. I am single and so is the youth pastor. I have not officially met him yet so I don't have any interest in him. But I am concerned that I may fall for him like I have with other guys in the past. How do I prevent something weird or awkward from happening if I do become interested in this guy? But who knows, God may have placed this desire into my heart for a reason. I just have to take things step by step and let God lead the way.

Now in saying all of that. What step do I take to pursue this desire God has placed on my heart? Just wait for someone to ask me to help? Talk to the youth pastor or our lead pastor? I just don't know what to do. But I do believe a lot of the things that I have been through especially over the past few months could be God's way of preparing me for this new season in my life. I really believe I have a lot to offer the youth, but at the same time, I am scared. I am shy so I don't know if I could or would even open up to share things with them. But I do have a burden for teenagers. Things are so much more difficult now than when I was a teenager. Many of them are getting ready to get out into the real world and they need to be mentored to have a solid foundation in their faith. I wish I would have had that when I was a teenager. I wouldn't have gotten away from God at that young age if I had the support from other Christians.

Re: How do you know when God opens a door

Well pray about it which I am sure you have been doing.

Talk to the head pastor about what has been on your heart and you both should pray about it. Explain that this is what you feel led to do. If it is God's will it will happen. If it is not then it won't.

That's not intended to be a dismissive answer but when God opens a door you will certainly find yourself doing His will for your life. Sometimes we have the best of intentions and come to conclusions that we are going to "do this for the Lord!" or "Do that for the Lord!". Sometimes it is our own will and desire and it is so strong that we may mistake it for God's will. We may even jump through all sorts of logical hoops to convince ourselves that it's God's will. Then when it doesn't come together there is disappointment.

You say you are currently working with a younger age group. Is there someone waiting to fill your position? I see you have this feeling to serve or minister to these teenagers. Is there a way to do that without being a group leader? What if you can serve these younger ones and somehow help or sit in with the teenage group. Actually now that I am typing that... that may be a good transition or way to test it out. Sit in with the other youth minister and see how things go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickened View Post
    Well pray about it which I am sure you have been doing.

Talk to the head pastor about what has been on your heart and you both should pray about it. Explain that this is what you feel led to do. If it is God's will it will happen. If it is not then it won't.

That's not intended to be a dismissive answer but when God opens a door you will certainly find yourself doing His will for your life. Sometimes we have the best of intentions and come to conclusions that we are going to "do this for the Lord!" or "Do that for the Lord!". Sometimes it is our own will and desire and it is so strong that we may mistake it for God's will. We may even jump through all sorts of logical hoops to convince ourselves that it's God's will. Then when it doesn't come together there is disappointment.

You say you are currently working with a younger age group. Is there someone waiting to fill your position? I see you have this feeling to serve or minister to these teenagers. Is there a way to do that without being a group leader? What if you can serve these younger ones and somehow help or sit in with the teenage group. Actually now that I am typing that... that may be a good transition or way to test it out. Sit in with the other youth minister and see how things go.
    I had a meeting with the head pastor about the class I am working with. I have also talked to his wife a couple of times. They know I am having difficult in that class, but I have not officially told them that I am ready to step down from that position. I plan on letting them know by the end of this month. I will agree to stay in there until they find someone to take my place. The reason I want to wait a few more weeks is to be certain of this decision. I don't have complete peace about this decision. I really love the children but it just seems like every week gets worse and worse. I don't have the passion that I once had and I have been leaving the class frustrated. I also don't feel that I am getting through to the children any longer. This past Sunday (Easter) was when I made the decision to leave, even though it has crossed my mind many times. But I can't go by what happened this past Sunday because it was a holiday and the children are always more difficult when it is a holiday. So I don't want to make this decision in haste.

The youth group is on Wednesday evenings and they have a Sunday School class. I really don't see myself helping teach the youth, but I do want to sit in on the group to see what it is like and to be there to help if it is needed.

It is difficult to discern our own personal desires from an "open door." From what you said, you do not have an obvious open door yet, but you do have a desire. You have spoken to the Pastor but did not tell him or his wife of your desire to move to teenagers. Perhaps you need to do that. The Pastor is the shepherd of the church and while not all wise and knowing, he may have a definite idea of what you are speaking about.

I do sympathize with your dilemma. I have the same kind of situation and I also am awaiting an open door. I think that the door will be easy to recognize when it opens. Until then, I count it as my own desire and not God's.

It is better for me to keep taking the small steps I am given, learn from the steps, and await the opening of that door.

Thread Information