cure-real

Thread: Why Do Churches Have Services Facing East On Easter Morning?

Why Do Churches Have Services Facing East On Easter Morning?

Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_pa View Post
    Hey John 8:32:
    You think we should start a thread why many churches face east? I'd love to hear the supposed reasons (or rationalizations) for that one. If anyone wants to start one, I'll pitch in a comment or two. But that's not the topic of this thread, so I'll refrain here.

I'll start this show, why do churches have services facing East on Easter morning at sunrise?

Blog Entries

Re: Why Do Churches Have Services Facing East On Easter Morning?

My church faces north. My parents' church faces west. I'm sitting here doing a mental rundown of all the churches I see all over town and they are facing a variety of directions. As far as sunrise services go, the one I used to attend had the attendees facing north.
    ".....it's your nickel"

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John 8:32 View Post
    I'll start this show, why do churches have services facing East on Easter morning at sunrise?
    So they can't see and have to wear sunglasses as the sun comes up during the service?
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    So they can't see and have to wear sunglasses as the sun comes up during the service?

Im not exactly sure about this but i wanted to share this incase someone is, just to get the idea out.

Wouldnt the reason be in relation to th temple? Does the Messiah come through the east gate or something? or the head priest?

and lol Slug1

Blog Entries

Because of Matthew 24:27: "For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."

We believe that Jesus will return from the East and so we face East to watch for his coming, believing that he might come on Easter morning as he came out of the grave on Easter morning. Also most churches and all ancient churches had the altar facing East and the congregation would face East to watch for the return of Christ.

The reason you have a Sonrise or Sunrise service facing East is because you are facing the sunrise. One of the points of having it is to watch the Sunrise. You could face west and break you neck looking behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by John 8:32 View Post
    It was, and is, tradition to face Jerusalem when praying.

1KINGS 8:30 And hearken thou to the supplication of thy servant, and of thy people Israel, when they shall pray toward this place: and hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place: and when thou hearest, forgive.

1KINGS 8:33 When thy people Israel be smitten down before the enemy, because they have sinned against thee, and shall turn again to thee, and confess thy name, and pray, and make supplication unto thee in this house:

1KINGS 8:35 When heaven is shut up, and there is no rain, because they have sinned against thee; if they pray toward this place, and confess thy name, and turn from their sin, when thou afflictest them:

1KINGS 8:42 (For they shall hear of thy great name, and of thy strong hand, and of thy stretched out arm when he shall come and pray toward this house;

1KINGS 8:44 If thy people go out to battle against their enemy, whithersoever thou shalt send them, and shall pray unto the LORD toward the city which thou hast chosen, and toward the house that I have built for thy name:

DAN 6:10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.
    PROV 21:3 To do righteousness and justice Is more acceptable to Jehovah than sacrifice.-American Standard Version 1901

MT 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

As opposed to the bad man that does nothing?

AMOS 6:3 Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;

GAL 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Thread Information