Thread: Problems with Thirst Missions

Help Problems with Thirst Missions

We recently took a mission trip to Belize and we are having problems with the director, Jason Phingsten, not returning emails, phone calls or deposit money. Has anyone had any dealings or problems with this company out of Minniepolas (MN)?

Re: Problems with Thirst Missions

(this is the same reply from shorttermmissions.com)
    Dear "fsalc12",
    To make a long story short, I worked for Thirst Missions 3 years ago after quitting another job and devoting all my time to missions work. After leading 4 missions trips in the summer of 2009 and returning home in August, I never heard from Jason Pfingsten again. I had just gotten married and just moved to a new city and had no job, no income, nothing. I've heard of other instances where Jason has ripped people off, so just letting you know to steer clear of Thirst and encourage others to do also. I also know that Jason has a shady past and can't be trusted. He now only employs Belizeans, probably because he know he can pay them less and they wont ask questions. Hope this helps. Let others know please.

Blog Entries

If this person can be confirmed to be a scammer and/or their business is based in the US or they have an office here they operate through, report them to the Better Business Bureau.

can you please give me more information about this guy? I know someone who is currently signed up to do a missions trip with him.

fsalc.... how did things work out for you? I know other people who have had trouble with this guy.

Things worked out finally. Mr. Phingsten returned the deposit a month after I posted. Hoped everything worked out for your friends.

Blog Entries

I am VERY leery of this so-called 'ministry'. I can't find one church or denomination that knows anything at all about such a ministry, and these are people who have REAL, regular mission trips to Belize! I say its a scam....

They CHARGE you to 'go on a mission trip'! Churches won't charge you..
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Things did not work out very well for my friend. The trip was a success but mostly due to the leadership of the group from his church. The communication was poor before the trip and Jason did not even return emails after the trip was over. Jason left the country right before my friend got to Belize which seemed like avoidance more than anything. When the team got down there, they had no supplies ready and no work for them to do. They were fed bread and buns for many of the meals.
    Overall the trip involved no work because Thirst had nothing for the team to do and no supplies to give them. Everything was always late. The trip was overpriced for considering they stayed in a church and had next to nothing to eat and did no work.
    The people working for Thirst are nice people but Jason Phingston is a scam artist. People should stay away from him and Thirst Missions. As soon as he gets your money he will disappear. Do a missions trip through Students International or Ywam who are far more trustworthy!

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
    Things did not work out very well for my friend. The trip was a success but mostly due to the leadership of the group from his church. The communication was poor before the trip and Jason did not even return emails after the trip was over. Jason left the country right before my friend got to Belize which seemed like avoidance more than anything. When the team got down there, they had no supplies ready and no work for them to do. They were fed bread and buns for many of the meals.
    Overall the trip involved no work because Thirst had nothing for the team to do and no supplies to give them. Everything was always late. The trip was overpriced for considering they stayed in a church and had next to nothing to eat and did no work.
    The people working for Thirst are nice people but Jason Phingston is a scam artist. People should stay away from him and Thirst Missions. As soon as he gets your money he will disappear. Do a missions trip through Students International or Ywam who are far more trustworthy!

Can you recall what team that was, where they visited in Belize, and the dates they visited Belize? I would like to be aware of some stuff. Thank you.

I'm really concerned about everyone's posts. I know someone that is getting involved with Thirst Missions and it really concerns me after ready these threads. Is there anyone out there that can give me more information on Thirst Missions and what they really represent? Is my daughter safe with these people?

The most important thing you can do is research. Sites like these are great for getting the word out. Do your due diligence. What is the financial security of this company. Require a certificate of liability. Ensure the vast amount money you hand over is with a safe credit risk. Is this a ministry or a business? Is the there oversite? Accountability of a board. License to operate in the foreign country. Follow the laws of the country. No on any of these? Find a better fit.

I feel a responsibility to warn people about Thirst Missions. The employee turn over is proof enough of a problem-I am one of at least ten people, state side, who have left in just this past year. I wish a previous employee had posted a warning on this thread, I could have preserved myself and steered clear. For me, the culture at Thirst was oppressive. At first, they appeared accepting and warm, but the underlying Autocratic Leadership style was erratic, confusing and subtly condescending. Some employees tried a short run with new ideas, but Jason (the owner) shut it down in the early stages; belittling before it could bear fruit. He seemed open to our experience and insight, but nothing changed, it seemed more like he was simulating a group effort to appease feelings; he did what he wanted at our expense and used our input where it benefited him. Jason Pfingsten discouraged us from being open with each other, made judgement's of people based on assumptions and sometimes bullied. Though his decisions "sunk the ship", he blamed the crew; I observed the leadership following through with his requests at the expense of their families, safety and convictions; while his hands appeared to remain blameless. Sometimes he used uncomfortable group affirmation sessions, or prayer, to distract hurt feelings or wrong doing, rather than address issues and apologize. He repeatedly ignored or patronized the concerns of his employees; it devalued our feelings. We did not have job security, he fired people suddenly without any prior warning or conversation about job performance. It is my hope that posting this will help Thirst Missions make changes; their leadership needs to be more well rounded. I think they need less administration and more leaders who are good with people and give them space to serve in an interpersonal way.

How can Thirst Missions effectively spread the Message of Christ when, at the heart, they don't serve the ones they're standing shoulder to shoulder with in ministry? I encourage people to share information on this thread; leadership are held to a higher, Biblical standard and need accountability. It's not gossip and you can correct the thread if the situation is addressed. Staying silent is hurting hearts and families, your story matters. If your story is too sensitive to post, feel free to email me.
    Last edited by graham53; Yesterday at 09:40 PM. Reason: I sounded too blunt, I softened it up.

Do people just open accounts here to post about this ministry, then disappear?
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Hopefully more people will get involved now, if they feel it's ok to be honest and share their experience.

Thread Information