cure-real
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Young vs. Mature Christians

Re: Young vs. Mature Christians

I am one of those younger believers, however the few people in my life who I speak with about the faith, do not compromise their lifestyles or beliefs for my sake. If they did, it would be wishy washy and what good would it be for me - or them? I would think this was a fake persona and they really didn't believe what they were telling me. They don't bend and sometimes it's difficult, but then I see their point and am grateful they didn't bend in the first place. We're still learning and I guess we mess up more than the mature ones.

We have to grow and I think we grow faster as young believers than more mature ones. In my experiences, growing isn't an option. God bless.

I agree, especially if they are in a leadership role in the Church. Titus 5:1-12; 1 Peter 5:1-8 write of the qualities and duties of elders and overseers. 1 Peter 5:2-4 write:

(1 Pet 5:2 NIV) Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers--not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve;

(1 Pet 5:3 NIV) not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

(1 Pet 5:4 NIV) And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.

Of course those chosen to be elders and overseers, are those mature in Christ and their selection most likely would have been from Gods choosing, fruit in their life and maturity in Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    Someone who is set as an example is expected to be more exemplary in conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I am one of those younger believers, however the few people in my life who I speak with about the faith, do not compromise their lifestyles or beliefs for my sake. If they did, it would be wishy washy and what good would it be for me - or them? I would think this was a fake persona and they really didn't believe what they were telling me. They don't bend and sometimes it's difficult, but then I see their point and am grateful they didn't bend in the first place. We're still learning and I guess we mess up more than the mature ones.

We have to grow and I think we grow faster as young believers than more mature ones. In my experiences, growing isn't an option. God bless.
    God works with us where we are at. He works through people. Shows us those who we are able to help, and brings others for our chastisement, edification, and encouragement. We are all called as servants, serving one another no matter how mature in Christ. As a matter of fact, the more mature should actually be the greatest servants of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
    God works with us where we are at. He works through people. Shows us those who we are able to help, and brings others for our chastisement, edification, and encouragement. We are all called as servants, serving one another no matter how mature in Christ. As a matter of fact, the more mature should actually be the greatest servants of all.
    It's one of the ways the Body works together, if we did not have the Body to help us along, the immature would remain immature. I am grateful for the people who have served this way, that they stood firm in their faith and didn't give up on me - the more mature did take the high road and were the greater servant

For a new Christian temptation is a little stronger because they just turned away from sin. That is when a more mature Christian should step in and mentor them. Keep encouraging them to help them grow.

A child cannot grow mentally and physically to be productive without an adult to encourage them. A loving adult that is. They need to be taught WHY things are wrong. They may KNOW it is wrong because momma and daddy said so, but an adult needs to teach WHY something is wrong. Just like a Christian should do. A new child of God knows what sin is, but they need guidance to understand why they need to continue their walk with Christ.

If someone sees how Christianity may be "dumbed down" then someone ain't setting a good example!!!! shame shame shame....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior4God View Post
    Why do weaker and younger Christians not have to grow very much, or at all, while more mature Christians have to consistently endeavor not to "offend" or "stumble" younger Christians with the things they say or do, even in matters that have nothing to do with salvation or spirituality? It seems like more mature Christians have to kind of dumb things down for the weaker Christians. Why shouldn't the weaker Christians have to grow and rise to a higher standard in their Christian walk? Why should the more mature Christians have to lower their standards and way of living in their Christian walk?
    Mature Christians accommodate young(er) Christians, and in doing so helps the young(er) Christian grow in their maturity. You answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickened View Post
    Why is this problematic? They are expected to grow. Look at all of Paul's pastoral letters. Each church had a unique set of needs and Paul likewise had a unique set of expectations for those churches. Christians are by no means to lower their standards of living. I am not sure what you are implying by that. Could you be more specific and give us a direct example?
    My beef is with less mature Christians dictating for more mature Christians what they can and can't do so as to avoid "offense" or "stumbling." For instance, in the early church, can't remember which one, Paul stated that to eat meat was not sin, but if to a younger Christian it was "sin" to eat meat, then a "more mature" Christian shouldn't eat meat so that it wouldn't stumble the younger Christian. Well, does that mean not to eat meat at all, so that the weaker Christian gets to dictate what non sinful preferences the stronger Christian can and can't have in his or her personal life, or just not eat meat in the weaker Christian's presence where it would bother them to see it? I have no problem not eating meat in front of a vegetarian if they told me, politely, that it bothered them to see it, but I do have a big problem with them telling me what I can and can't eat when they're not even around to see me eat it. That's not their place to decide for me what I'm going to eat.
    Last edited by Warrior4God; Jun 19th 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries

The verse is just telling us to be mindful of those around us, so as not to cause another to stumble. When I first gave up smoking, my husband still smoked, but he never did smoked around me. I didn't ask him to, he just knew he would be tempting me if he did. He continued to smoke, as normal, where he was not causing temptation, so he wasn't being called to quit it all.

It's just a case of being sensitive to our brethrens needs.It's loving our brother as ourself.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    The verse is just telling us to be mindful of those around us, so as not to cause another to stumble. When I first gave up smoking, my husband still smoked, but he never did smoked around me. I didn't ask him to, he just knew he would be tempting me if he did. He continued to smoke, as normal, where he was not causing temptation, so he wasn't being called to quit it all.

It's just a case of being sensitive to our brethrens needs.It's loving our brother as ourself.

blessings to you
    Well, like I pointed out in my previous thread, if a vegetarian Christian said, "Please, would you mind not eating that steak around me?", I would be courteous and understanding, even if I saw their view as weird, since it bothered them to see people eat meat. Now, if the person said, 'Well, you shouldn't eat meat," and expected me not only to not eat it around them but not to eat it at all, I would tell them to get a life and that I can eat steak if I choose to.

I find it to be such a beautiful thing to truly care about what someone is struggling with. When Jesus says, love your neighbor as yourself, we are to put their needs as a top priority. If we love someone, why would we cause them to stumble? If someone was struggling with alcohol, would we sit right in front of them with a drink in our hand and say "I'm so sorry your struggling about this... is there anything I can do?". We are to truly love and care about our brothers and sisters in Christ. I have felt this way personally about the way I dress. If I am to love my brothers in Christ, why would I wear things that are enticing? That is a personal conviction though that God has taught me about in this area.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

Blog Entries

Well, like I pointed out in my previous thread, if a vegetarian Christian said, "Please, would you mind not eating that steak around me?", I would be courteous and understanding, even if I saw their view as weird, since it bothered them to see people eat meat. Now, if the person said, 'Well, you shouldn't eat meat," and expected me not only to not eat it around them but not to eat it at all, I would tell them to get a life and that I can eat steak if I choose to.
    Well if Scripture told you not to eat meat, then they would have a point. Since it doesn't, your are free to take it to the Lord, then reject their advice imho. If they feel they should not eat meat, then they shouldn't, but that does not mean you should. We each have our own relationship with God, He guides us each of us to do what's right, as long as we listen to Him.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

My beef is with less mature Christians dictating for more mature Christians what they can and can't do so as to avoid "offense" or "stumbling." For instance, in the early church, can't remember which one, Paul stated that to eat meat was not sin, but if to a younger Christian it was "sin" to eat meat, then a "more mature" Christian shouldn't eat meat so that it wouldn't stumble the younger Christian. Well, does that mean not to eat meat at all, so that the weaker Christian gets to dictate what non sinful preferences the stronger Christian can and can't have in his or her personal life, or just not eat meat in the weaker Christian's presence where it would bother them to see it? I have no problem not eating meat in front of a vegetarian if they told me, politely, that it bothered them to see it, but I do have a big problem with them telling me what I can and can't eat when they're not even around to see me eat it. That's not their place to decide for me what I'm going to eat.
    Point taken. Weaker saints aren't to dictate to more mature ones. Their presence (during whatever might cause them to stumble) is the key, as well as our hearts toward them. If their preference is that we don't do something, then that is quite different than violating their conscience!

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Quote Originally Posted by lovex View Post
    I find it to be such a beautiful thing to truly care about what someone is struggling with. When Jesus says, love your neighbor as yourself, we are to put their needs as a top priority. If we love someone, why would we cause them to stumble? If someone was struggling with alcohol, would we sit right in front of them with a drink in our hand and say "I'm so sorry your struggling about this... is there anything I can do?". We are to truly love and care about our brothers and sisters in Christ. I have felt this way personally about the way I dress. If I am to love my brothers in Christ, why would I wear things that are enticing? That is a personal conviction though that God has taught me about in this area.
    I truly appreciate your attitude. I wish that all women were as considerate of the problems that men face on a daily basis.

May God bless you for the love you show to others.

Well like Paul said, by implication; to the weak I became weak, to the poor, poor....

Quote Originally Posted by aftertheflood View Post
    Well like Paul said, by implication; to the weak I became weak, to the poor, poor....
    You 're not really saying anything specific here. Are you saying that if a weaker Christian told me that, because they don't like the color blue, I should stop wearing blue and that I became obligated to honor their view when they made it known to me? Where does the line get drawn?

Thread Information