cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DID YOU SEE " THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST " WHEN IT CAME OUT ?

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Re: DID YOU SEE " THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST " WHEN IT CAME OUT ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoffee View Post
    I saw it when it first came out in a theater as well: and then went a second time with my church to see it....

I found myself weeping both times.

While there may be no way to fully, accurately show His suffering for us, I do believe this came closest. I agree with Early and Boo: we have to remember what He went through for us.
    I was almost in shock at the treatment of Jesus portrayed in this film. I hadn't deeply considered what he endured, and it began to hit home in the scene where He was being flogged. Just when I began to wonder how one could withstand such flogging, the centurion gave to motion to turn Him over and to resume.
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Yes I saw it in the theater when it came out. I thought it was very, very powerful.
    You could hear a pin drop when the movie was over. People silently left the theater.

I bought several copies and gave them as gifts to family members.

Jeanne

"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it". ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" ~ Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    I was almost in shock at the treatment of Jesus portrayed in this film. I hadn't deeply considered what he endured, and it began to hit home in the scene where He was being flogged. Just when I began to wonder how one could withstand such flogging, the centurion gave to motion to turn Him over and to resume.
    I had read Lee Strobles "The Case for Christ": they detail the scourging and Crucifixion in great detail, giving a medical look into it. But even having been in the medical field for over 20 years, and working in the operating room, nothing prepared me for what they showed. And yet, to see that He allowed that to happen to Him so I could be with Him......

Would we allow that to happen to us for someone we loved? Maybe we would and maybe we would not. Would we allow that to happen to us for some one who hated us? I tend to think we would not. But He did: we must never, ever forget that.
    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
    Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne D View Post
    Yes I saw it in the theater when it came out. I thought it was very, very powerful.
    You could hear a pin drop when the movie was over. People silently left the theater.
    Same here. I've never heard such silence after a movie. There were a LOT of teary eyes, too, including my own.

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

I have not see the whole thing........I am ashamed to admit that I am a little scared to watch it......I don't do well with graphic stuff like that at all....this does not mean that I am not thankful to him for what he did.....he thought I was someone worth dying for ..that to me is amazing and the very meaning of true love

Quote Originally Posted by angelwingz View Post
    I have not see the whole thing........I am ashamed to admit that I am a little scared to watch it......I don't do well with graphic stuff like that at all....this does not mean that I am not thankful to him for what he did.....he thought I was someone worth dying for ..that to me is amazing and the very meaning of true love
    That's ok. You don't have to watch it. It's what's in your heart that counts.

Jeanne

"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it". ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" ~ Ronald Reagan

The best movie to ever come out of hollywood,( and ever will ) I bought it the first day it came out on dvd.

Did not see.

Mel Gibson is a talented actor and director, but he has issues with Jews. In a movie that features Jews, I expect that to be present.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Quote Originally Posted by Colight View Post
    Only as accurate as Hollywood style make up and a Catholic viewpoint can make it.
    I pretty much take Carlos Mencia's take on this movie, I read the book and I know how it ends.

Yes, I saw the movie, and yes, the torture portion was probably fairly accurate, but in my mind, the movie was a bust. The main point of the movie was just to show how Jesus was tortured - which is kind of okay if you don't know the story - but the biggest and best part (which the movie pretty much skipped over) was why He was killed. Just read the gospel accounts - any gospel account - and where is the majority of the time spent? Is it not spent on Jesus' teachings and His interactions with people? The movie would have been infinitely better if it had followed a more biblical line in presenting Jesus' teachings and actions (like healings on the Sabboth) and through these show how the resentment built up against Him to the point that He was crucified. So in my mind, this movie could have had great potential - but missed the mark terribly because it missed showing who Jesus was and what He taught.

Missed the mark entirely? Well, if you know what "the mark" actually was then that is possible.

I thought it was something different than you do, I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Yes, I saw the movie, and yes, the torture portion was probably fairly accurate, but in my mind, the movie was a bust. The main point of the movie was just to show how Jesus was tortured - which is kind of okay if you don't know the story - but the biggest and best part (which the movie pretty much skipped over) was why He was killed. Just read the gospel accounts - any gospel account - and where is the majority of the time spent? Is it not spent on Jesus' teachings and His interactions with people? The movie would have been infinitely better if it had followed a more biblical line in presenting Jesus' teachings and actions (like healings on the Sabboth) and through these show how the resentment built up against Him to the point that He was crucified. So in my mind, this movie could have had great potential - but missed the mark terribly because it missed showing who Jesus was and what He taught.
    I understand what your saying here, Bandit. But the real premise of the movie was to put the Crucifixion front and center: the flash-backs gave a bit of info, but it was not the focus of it. It was to show what He finally went through for us. Almost every movie about Jesus focuses on what He did (miracles, teachings and such): this was to focus on what He did in the end. To show us, and put it in our faces, the scourging and crucifixion itself.

JMHO: I am not a movie maker myself.
    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
    Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Did not see.

Mel Gibson is a talented actor and director, but he has issues with Jews. In a movie that features Jews, I expect that to be present.
    Actually, it was an fairly accurate portrayal. The Romans took their share also. Personally, I did not come away with any sense of an anti-semitic bias in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    This was pretty much my reaction to the movie. It was pretty much all about Jesus' torture and I have a hard time of finding a movie powerful if that's the main plot.
    Jesus Lives
    Jesús vive
    Iesu wa ikite iru

PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD! (Eph 6:11)

Thread Information