cure-real

Thread: Self Worth

Self Worth

This is something that has been a big struggle for me ever since I was in school. Not feeling confident, feeling less important compared to others, worrying about what people think about me, are a few of the feelings and thoughts that run through my mind. I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on "self worth".

Sometimes as I'm struggling with this, I think to myself, "This life isn't about me, its about glorifying God and living for him". But also on the other hand, I want to know who I am in Christ and know that I am loved and not feel insecure anymore. I let these feelings hold me back a lot. I avoid a lot of situations because they make me uncomfortable and struggle with the situations which I can't avoid like going to work.

Anyone else struggle with low self worth (low self esteem)?
    How important is it to feel good about yourself?
    How do you overcome this struggle?

Blog Entries

Re: Self Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TRAVlS View Post
    This is something that has been a big struggle for me ever since I was in school. Not feeling confident, feeling less important compared to others, worrying about what people think about me, are a few of the feelings and thoughts that run through my mind. I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on "self worth".
    I don't think self worth is worth all that much....

NO really....

Where does self worth come from? It comes from judging yourself based on societal conditions.... Or political conditions.... Basically what other people think.... Which isn't worth all that much really.... Sure it is great to be liked.... But should we really base who we are on that? No.... Because that is how satan gets a foothold in your life.... You yourself will even tell yourself things based on your own carnal ideals.... I want you to see something....

Mat 22:37-40 KJV *Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. *(38) *This is the first and great commandment. *(39) *And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. *(40) *On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

That tiny word as was translated from the Greek word hos.... Which means: which how, that is, in that manner (very variously used as shown): - about, after (that), (according) as (it had been, it were), as soon (as), even as (like), for, how (greatly), like (as, unto), since, so (that), that, to wit, unto, when ([-soever]), while, X with all speed.

So Jesus delivered a twofold commandment when He said love your neighbor as yourself.... He said "in that manner".... Or like.... Even as.... In other words the same love of God that we show our neighbors we are supposed to show ourselves as well.... If you cannot love yourself with Gods love (knowing your past....) and be forgiving and gentle with yourself.... You will never accomplish loving others.... At least not to its fullest degree....

Quote Originally Posted by TRAVIS
    Sometimes as I'm struggling with this, I think to myself, "This life isn't about me, its about glorifying God and living for him". But also on the other hand, I want to know who I am in Christ and know that I am loved and not feel insecure anymore. I let these feelings hold me back a lot. I avoid a lot of situations because they make me uncomfortable and struggle with the situations which I can't avoid like going to work.
    Jer 1:5-8 LITV I knew you before I formed you in the belly; and before you came out of the womb, I consecrated you. I appointed you a prophet to the nations. (6) Then I said, Ah, Lord Jehovah! Behold, I do not know how to speak for I am a boy. (7) But Jehovah said to me, Do not say, I am a boy; for you shall go to all that I shall send you. And whatever I command you, you shall speak. (8) Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you, says Jehovah.

Jer 1:10 LITV Behold, I have today appointed you over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to tear down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

1Pe 2:9-10 LITV But you are "an elect race," "a royal priesthood," "a holy nation," "a people for possession," so that "you may openly speak of the virtues" of the One who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; LXX-Ex. 23:22; MT-Ex. 19:5, 6 (10) you who then were "not a people, but now are the people" of God; "the one not pitied then but now pitied." Hos. 1:6, 9 2:1, 23

Quote Originally Posted by TRAVIS

I think you would be best helped by not looking at self worth.... But by looking at your worth to God.... How does God see you now that you have accepted His Son? What are you worth to Him? To find that out....

Read your bible....

Howdy TRAVlS
    I agree with what Mary has shared here http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...74#post2842174 .

I will add tho that I still will not ignore my own or any other persons opinion of me, because those opinions have shown me much(not all but much) of my own sin and faults that I need to admit and confess and then depend upon Christ to renew my mind right out of.

Sometimes those opinions have been used by God to bring me closer to Christ Jesus to be examined by His Father's words to show me much(not all but much) of my own hypocrisy lately.

God bless.

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Not a lot to add to what Mary and MoreMercy said, other than this. Your value (worth), Travis, comes from your Maker. He loves you so much that He'd rather die than to live without you. If the most powerful being in the universe puts that kind of worth on you, perhaps what others, including you, think is not as important? He loves you, brother, and nothing can separate you from that.

blessings,

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Travis,
    You sound like me. BUT, like you said, it's not about ourselves. It's what we can do for others. When I read the Bible I post things that I feel led to post, thus helping others. At times I find, the verses also are meant for me.

Too much confidence can lead to arrogance, that is bad too. So a balance of the two is where we need to be.

Psalms 10
    17 LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

2 Corinthians 12
    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Blog Entries

Get over yourself and stop making things about you, that aren't, but are instead about God.

I realize this sounds harsh and uncaring but it's actually not. It's what love in essence is all about.

I'm never more happy and at peace than when I don't worry about myself at all but about God instead. It's the most freeing thing in the world. Being stuck on yourself is poison, bondage and death.

So your answer is Jesus. Who sets us free from ourselves? Jesus does.

(And you just thought it was all about sin, didn't you? It's not. It's about the root cause of sin which is people disconnected from God and rotating around themselves, stuck on themselves, making everything about themselves when in reality, nothing in the universe is about me at all; it's all about God).

When you get sick of you, ask the Lord with all sincerity and every ounce of faith you can muster, to set you free from yourself. Then buckle your seatbelt because it's going to be the most interesting ride you'll ever know.

I never knew in how much bondage I was actually in until God started freeing me from me and unraveled me from being stuck on myself and instead took those strings and connected them to Himself where they belong.

Hard to put in words. Just do it. Best decision you'll ever make.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    Get over yourself and stop making things about you, that aren't, but are instead about God.

I realize this sounds harsh and uncaring but it's actually not. It's what love in essence is all about.

I'm never more happy and at peace than when I don't worry about myself at all but about God instead. It's the most freeing thing in the world. Being stuck on yourself is poison, bondage and death.

(And you just thought it was all about sin, didn't you? It's not. It's about the root cause of sin which is people disconnected from God and rotating around themselves, stuck on themselves, making everything about themselves when in reality, nothing in the universe is about me at all; it's all about God).

When you get sick of you, ask the Lord with all sincerity and every ounce of faith you can muster, to set you free from yourself. Then buckle your seatbelt because it's going to be the most interesting ride you'll ever know.

I never knew in how much bondage I was actually in until God started freeing me from me and unraveled me from being stuck on myself and instead took those strings and connected them to Himself where they belong.

Woo Hoo ! Amen.

Thanks for all the help guys! All very helpful comments... It did sound a little harsh at first Dani H, lol, but I get what your saying. That makes a lot of sense. I want to get to that point where nothing is about me anymore and all about him. Im sure once I reach that point, I wont even worry what others think of me because it wont even matter. Thanks again guys (:

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help guys! All very helpful comments... It did sound a little harsh at first Dani H, lol, but I get what your saying. That makes a lot of sense. I want to get to that point where nothing is about me anymore and all about him. Im sure once I reach that point, I wont even worry what others think of me because it wont even matter. Thanks again guys (:
    It isn't a point you reach Travis.... It is a point you start your real life.... The one God gives meaning to.... From.... It is the point at which you give yourself fully and completely to Him.... If you have done that then stop living life in reverse....

You may be able to drive a car through the rear view mirror but sooner or later you're going to run into a telephone pole....

Blog Entries

I honestly can't think of one thing to ad to the advise and wisdom you have already recieved. So I'll close with this..

Romans 12:3
    For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Travis, I can relate to your original post in many ways. Dani's words might as well have been directed at me as well, lol

Take care!

I have struggled with confidence at times too. I recall Chrisf saying "love your neighbour as you love yourself", therefore some degree of self love is permissable, just not to the detriment of God and others. You should try to accept yourself the way the lord has made you brother. Dealing with people can be stressful, because many men have agenda or ego. Accept that it is stressful and rise to it. Believe that u can cope, communicate your beliefs well without disregarding others, and be happy with yourself if u like to be quiet about things others like to be vocal on. Also dont be embarrassed if things dont go as well as you hope, an
    d of course pray allways.
    "Oh wretchid man that I am. Who shall deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 7 : 24-25)

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post

Nailed it!

I used to struggle with self worth as well, except when I first got saved and then years later...the present. Why? Because until I got saved I was all about me. Immediately after coming to faith I was all about Him...therefore I didn't give a hoot about what people thought about me, I only cared what people thought and believed about my Lord. Then I became about me again and in walks "self worth" and so the struggle began again. Now I am about Him again and couldn't care less what people think about me, all I care about is what people think and believe about our King.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

You're actually talking about two things here. How you see yourself internally and how others see you. Many of these replies spoke to dealing with how others see you and blowing that off. But it's much harder to overcome when the thoughts are generated from inside by lie-based thinking. I'm a facilitator for Theophostic Prayer Ministry and this is something I deal with often. As children, we don't have the maturity yet to understand events outside ourselves. So if mommy/daddy is upset with us all the time, we can only figure it's our fault. We can begin to believe we are unworthy, no good, unlovable, etc and etc because we just can't see it otherwise yet. If those kinds of lies develop, they tend to become the basis that we go forward in life upon. Due to association, each time something similar happens again in life, the brain associates to the first time it dealt with this and determines reaction/thought from that place. Now if that place is a lie, then our reactions are often out of place. Now when we reach adulthood, we have adult understanding and our reactions don't make sense, and don't match our current understanding. For example, your spouse gets mad at you over something you know is their fault but yet you still feel unworthy. Makes no sense, double-minded. But yet, no matter how much more scripture you soak up, you find yourself still reacting this way and feeling these thoughts. That's lie based belief deep inside playing itself out into your life. I have learned in doing this ministry that God so has a heart to get that stuff out of us and replace it with truth. There are many paths to that healing. For some, Christ heals it quickly in sanctification. Others have to have someone guide them into the lies and expose them. We each receive truth differently. The ultimate goal of Theophostic is to expose the lie and then offer it to Jesus to give truth. He delivers everytime. Then when we return to the memory we find everything is still the same as far as event, but the beliefs and feelings we had about the events have changed as they are seen in God's truth. Like many said above, God is very concerned with identity. About getting the stains of the world, society, family, peers etc off of us and showing us who we truly are in Him. So if you feel this is something you have been seeking healing from and you still find yourself double-minded although you clearly know the truth, you may consider working with someone for some targeted healing.

A ton of our strength and fortitude is derived from our identity. If our identity is insecure, we find ourselves the same way. This is one of the things Satan attacked in the garden. Adam was not yet formed when God said let us make man in our image, because if him and Eve had heard that, then Satan's tempting to become like God might not have been quite as enticing. God is just pounding me with this truth at this season in my life so I'm filled with passion for this subject currently. Gen 1:26 says your made in God's image. He's never changed that opinion. The fall brought sin into the world and we are all born into that Adamic race. But just as sin entered humanity through one man Adam, it has been removed by one man, Christ Jesus. All of us who are in Christ Jesus are new creations. Restored to original identity. Problem is we are still clinging on to all this stuff that is not truly us. Lie based thinking and identity we have taken on ourselves that is untrue. The renewing of our mind is God's way of cleaning that up. Setting our minds upon heavenly things (God's truth about us) and not on earthly things (lies, peer pressure, keeping up with the Jones', what's cool this week and on and on and on). It's like going to wash a pig off to discover after all the crap is removed that it wasn't a pig, it was a peacock. We don't really understand who we are in Christ and how God sees us. We tell each other all the time but we struggle to own it. We're servants, friends, brothers, sons, heirs, the body, etc. That's how God sees us. But yet we try to argue with him and tell him all the things wrong with us and he just says that's admirable that you own that, but that's still not what I say about you. One of my absolute favorite things God has shown me lately, and it's pure speculation, but it really makes sense, is that before God created the world, he knew he was going to step down into this world and live as a man. So if you have the option of creating the vessel you are going to live in (not just for 33 years) how will you create that vessel? Of course you are going to create something you would be comfortable in. Holy Spirit and Jesus live in and through us in interacting with this world. They are still man in many ways. They are you. Do you think you were designed in a way that they hate being within you? That alone should speak to your worth in God's eyes. As someone said, ask God to begin revealing to you how HE SEES YOU, and hold on for the ride!

Anyone else struggle with low self worth (low self esteem)? I used to a lot. I thought I was a monster and wasn't worth anything in this life because of past sins and pain/hurt I caused others. I sabotaged my life to try to pay for my debts. I've been healed of a ton of that. Theophostic, bible study, often in worship God just breaks something because I've been seeking him diligently, and sometimes for no discernible reason, epiphanies hit and healing happens.

How important is it to feel good about yourself? I think this is huge! Back to the identity. One of the things I'm really working out right now is how we take on the identity of sinner. Now I'm a sinner in the fact I sin, like I'm a runner, because I run. But it's not my identity. My identity is Gen 1:26 because I am in Christ. And I'm sure there's a ton more I can point to in the NT scripture that say who I am in Christ. But I did a recent search and I can't find any that say my identity is still sinner. Now Romans 5, 6, 7, 8 speaks all about does this mean we can sin willy-nilly because God doesn't see us as sinner? Well of course not. But I am finding it easier not to sin, not based on trying to obey God's commands, but in seeing my value in God's eyes. The more I see myself as God sees me, the less I want to sin. I'm worth more than that! Rom 8:2 speaks of the law of the Spirit freeing me from the law of sin and death. I never got that until recently when someone put it into a different frame for me. A jumbo jet should have no business flying in the air. With the weight of all that metal, the law of gravity says no way it should get off the ground. Yet thrust, lift, etc and up go those massive planes and defy gravity. The law of sin and death says no way we should not sin, yet the gospel speaks of freedom in Christ. Christ often said to those he healed, now go and sin no more. Why would he command someone that if it's impossible? I'll be honest, I'm still pulling all that together into experiential knowledge, but it's there. So I'm beginning to understand it's crucial to feel good about yourself. But in an understanding of why. Someone quoted "Love your neighbor as I have loved you" or in one gospel it says "as yourself". Another context to put that into is that we reflect God's love. We can only love our neighbor truly as well as we understand how much God loves us. It is God pouring his love and adoration upon us that we receive, that enables us to reflect that love onto others. Have you ever seen a parent holding their child and just adoring them? Have you ever felt that kind of adoration from God? When God's truth replaces the lies about your worth, then we begin to deeply understand the depth of God's love for us. God will always elevate that depth of understanding to that's how not only he sees you, but others too. Then the ability to love others as ourselves or as he has loved us begins to grow into an executable reality. But this feeling good about yourself has to be a reflection of how God sees you. If it comes from your own abilities and talents and ego, it's not of God, it's of self. So in that, "self worth" is not something you create or manifest. It's something you receive and then share!

You don't. Just like anything else. This is God's work and grace in your life. I mean technically even your faith is from God (from faith to faith. From whose faith?). So this is his work. I believe everything starts with Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all else shall be added to you. Seek him in everything! Every part of your day and life. How does he manifest into your morning routine, your drive to work, your lunch break, the ride home, your actual work day, your kids needs, your spouse's needs? It's not compartmentalized. You don't fit him in. Life flows out from Him. Everything we do should filter through Him. Now that's accomplished in a multitude of ways and disciplines, but I always counsel by finding things you enjoy doing with God and do them more. Whatever brings you near Him, do more! Draw near to him and as his life becomes yours, as he begins to grow fruit in your life because you are abiding in Him, the struggle lessens. The disciples asked Jesus, what are the good works we should be doing? His answer - Believe! ..... Identity, truth. Believe in the truth I am sharing with you. Live you life like these truths really make for a more abundant life. I mean if you believe that He honestly created time, space, all of it, then who other than him truly knows how to have the best possible life. His truths are the freedom we seek!

But my brother ..... if your life is dominated by lie based thinking, it will hinder your acceptance of truth. If you feel that you need help finding them, there's nothing wrong with asking for help. There's many ministries out there that focus on healing. There's many that are religious and dangerous, but there's many life restoring one's as well. That's your own personal decision. But for some/many of us, the damage/trauma we've been through, could use a little help. If you are seeking truth in identity, I have no doubt God will reveal to you how he wants to work it out in you.
    \o/ Every heartbeat for your glory!

Thank you everyone for the help! Thanks Standing, I really enjoyed reading your post and found it really helpful. I know God is going to bring me through this and I will be able to help others. I have always had a heart for people who are insecure because I know how it feels. Lately God has been helping me to lay down everything else that distracts me and focus on him. I used to think about video games a lot but I sold my xbox because it took too much of my focus. Im gonna keep seeking God cause he has all the answers. "Who else has the words of eternal life?" I think one of Jesus' followers said that to him as if to say "only you have the words of eternal life, Jesus". I love that! (:

Thread Information