cure-real

Thread: Psalm 127:3-5 -- what would the quiver and arrows have looked like?

Psalm 127:3-5 -- what would the quiver and arrows have looked like?

This is one of my favorite sets of verses in the Bible:

3 Children are a heritage from the Lord,
    offspring a reward from him.
    4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are children born in one’s youth.
    5 Blessed is the man
    whose quiver is full of them.
    They will not be put to shame
    when they contend with their opponents in court.

So much so that I want to get some symbolic artwork done depicting a "quiver" with 4 "arrows" in it (representing my kids--I'll still have to wait a little while for that 4th arrow to be valid). Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone could get me started on finding out what the quiver and arrows would have actually looked like in that time--if we even have a way of knowing. THANKS!

Blog Entries

Re: Psalm 127:3-5 -- what would the quiver and arrows have looked like?

To me, that means just as the valiant men mentioned in the Bible could aim and shoot an arrow and it usually ALWAYS hit the desired target, so are children. They are like arrows. But we must practice and practice AIMING them in the right direction, perhaps over and over, till they go where we aim them!

I love Psalm 127! LOTS of good stuff there...

Psalm 127:1
    1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it....

It all goes with the beginning, in verse #1. Unless the Lord builds the house, we labor in vain!
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    To me, that means just as the valiant men mentioned in the Bible could aim and shoot an arrow and it usually ALWAYS hit the desired target, so are children. They are like arrows. But we must practice and practice AIMING them in the right direction, perhaps over and over, till they go where we aim them!

It all goes with the beginning, in verse #1. Unless the Lord builds the house, we labor in vain!
    Very good thoughts on the matter. We have 8 arrows and the four oldest ones have proven they are flying true. The four youngest are still quite young but have many examples to follow.
    Formerly "Adullam" from other sites!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

Walk in the Light! (
    התהלכו באור)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post

Yes, I agree with those insights on the verses. Another important aspect of the arrow analogy is that just as the warrior shoots his arrow to somewhere he cannot physically go, so do we "shoot" our children to places we cannot go for whatever reason (whether age, physical ailments, time contstraints, just being "out of time," not having the talent ourselves, etc).

At any rate, while I definitely do not mind and certainly welcome anyone's interpretation of these verses, what I was actually looking for is a way to find out what the quiver and arrows would have PHYSICALLY LOOKED LIKE WERE THEY DEPICTED IN A DRAWING OR PAINTING (AGAIN, IF WE EVEN HAVE ANY WAY OF KNOWING).

Are there maybe any reputable Bible historians that anyone knows of that I could consult? Is there anyone here on this site possibly familiar enough with that period of Bible history to answer my question? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by minor prophet View Post
    This is one of my favorite sets of verses in the Bible:

3 Children are a heritage from the Lord,
    offspring a reward from him.
    4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are children born in one’s youth.
    5 Blessed is the man
    whose quiver is full of them.
    They will not be put to shame
    when they contend with their opponents in court.

So much so that I want to get some symbolic artwork done depicting a "quiver" with 4 "arrows" in it (representing my kids--I'll still have to wait a little while for that 4th arrow to be valid). Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone could get me started on finding out what the quiver and arrows would have actually looked like in that time--if we even have a way of knowing. THANKS!
    Interesting, but I am of no help. I am not a creative, artistic type person, hence my field of endeavor is engineering. Quite the opposite.

Try Google images with a search for "ancient Hebrew weapons". You could also try substituting "Egyptian". I suspect there were many similarities between the weapons of both these peoples.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

Interesting, but I am of no help. I am not a creative, artistic type person, hence my field of endeavor is engineering. Quite the opposite.
    John 8:32, I'm an engineer by education as well, hence why I'm seeking help on this forum for an "artistic" endeavor

Try Google images with a search for "ancient Hebrew weapons". You could also try substituting "Egyptian". I suspect there were many similarities between the weapons of both these peoples.
    Good call teddyv, I'm usually the one that has to teach "Google 101" to people when they're trying to find something out. Can't believe I didn't at least try that and just assumed it'd be too hard to find something so specific

I'll let y'all know what I come up with...

Thread Information