cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does the Bible say about marijuana?

What does the Bible say about marijuana?

Hi, im not really an avid christian (as in I dont really read the Bible and rarely go to church, but I believe God could be real) and I was just wondering what it says exactly in the bible about marijuana and its consumption, like is it a sin etc..

Re: What does the Bible say about marijuana?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2973 View Post
    Hi, im not really an avid christian (as in I dont really read the Bible and rarely go to church, but I believe God could be real) and I was just wondering what it says exactly in the bible about marijuana and its consumption, like is it a sin etc..
    Hi Tom, welcome to Bible Forums!

The Bible does not specifically mention marijuana or the use of it. The Bible does, however, provide us with some very important guidelines for living our lives. May I encourage you to carefully read the Bible and to pray to God for Him to help you understand it and apply its message to your life?

Well actually I just did a little research and saw that the Bible talked about the importance of sobriety a bit ("Be sober and vigilant"). In this case should christians not drink alcohol at all? It just seems a bit hypocritical, especially as a marijuana high is much easier to control than being drunk.

Blog Entries

Hi, Tom and welcome to the boards.

No, the Bible doesn't mention marijuana. Nor does it mention cocaine, crystal meth, Tylenol, cough syrup, or speed. But it does speak of our bodies being the Temple of the Holy Spirit and obeying that laws of those that govern us. And it speaks much of drunkeness being destructive. As someone else very wise has said, "You can't be sober (self-controlled) and high and you can't be sober (self-controlled) and drunk. The two are mutually exclusive."

Revelation 4:11 tells the purpose God had in creating everything - including marijuana plants, scorpions, and pit bulls.

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

It's not that plant, itself, is taboo. It's that using it and other God-made resources as graven-images so to speak that's taboo. What I mean is using a resource - beit fermented fruits/vegetables/grain, red meat, butter, fats, tobacco plants, cane sugar, and other ingestable resources - as what you seek to make you feel "better" (when in actuality is isn't making you better) and what you put your daily faith in.

Everyday, people abuse all kinds of resources - alchol, food, sexual activity, controlled substances made from natual ingredients, and more - and do so because they look to the creation of God for life and well-being and problem solving and do not lean on the Creator.

Here's a quote by someone who said it so much better than myself. His name - ironically is also Tom. LOL!!

The argument that says the bible doesn't say don't smoke weed is spurious; the bible also doesn't say don't stare at a laser pointer. It DOES, however, say that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and that you are not to defile the temple (see Romans 12.)

Lastly, the proper test for a Christian is not, "Can I get away with this," but, "Does this bring honor to my Lord?"
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Hi, Tom and welcome to the boards.

No, the Bible doesn't mention marijuana. Nor does it mention cocaine, crystal meth, Tylenol, cough syrup, or speed. But it does speak of our bodies being the Temple of the Holy Spirit and obeying that laws of those that govern us. And it speaks much of drunkeness being destructive. As someone else very wise has said, "You can't be sober (self-controlled) and high and you can't be sober (self-controlled) and drunk. The two are mutually exclusive."

Revelation 4:11 tells the purpose God had in creating everything - including marijuana plants, scorpions, and pit bulls.

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

It's not that plant, itself, is taboo. It's that using it and other God-made resources as graven-images so to speak that's taboo. What I mean is using a resource - beit fermented fruits/vegetables/grain, red meat, butter, fats, tobacco plants, cane sugar, and other ingestable resources - as what you seek to make you feel "better" (when in actuality is isn't making you better) and what you put your daily faith in.

Everyday, people abuse all kinds of resources - alchol, food, sexual activity, controlled substances made from natual ingredients, and more - and do so because they look to the creation of God for life and well-being and problem solving and do not lean on the Creator.

Here's a quote by someone who said it so much better than myself. His name - ironically is also Tom. LOL!!

Hi Tom.

Sometimes the Bible doesnt mention things by name, but there are principles that give us discernment whether something is good or evil.

I the practice of using marijuana and other mind altering drugs for recreational purposes, to alter your mind, or get high is sinful. I used to be a pothead, and I will say that it is a gateway drug, it is possible to become dependant on it, it creates unhealthy states of mind, and it is illegal, ( at least in my country). The Bible teaches that if we disobey the powers that God has ordained, ( other than when their laws oppose the Laws of God), we are opposing God.

Some of the experiences I had while smoking pot were paranoia, delusions of grandeur, momentary loss of vision, and even hallucinations. Also, the smoke from the hemp is not good for your lungs, imo. BTW, pot doesnt need to be laced with anything to cause hallucinations, some of the really strong grades that I have smoked caused me to halucinate. God doesnt want us playing with things that cause us to see and hear things that are not there, or that causes our senses to be distorted.

I was also something you would call a "burnout" after numerous years of use, until God healed my mind. It was like the negative effects of Pot were permanent, until God removed them when I rededicated my life to Him and He marvelously delivered me. When I came back to the Lord, I didnt need pot anymore, because God filled the huge hole in my life that I was trying, ( to no avail) to fill with drugs and carnal pleasures.

Since our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, we should not use pot because it intoxicates us, fogs our minds and reason, harms our physical bodies, and leads to the use of other drugs in many cases.
    Last edited by glad4mercy; May 14th 2012 at 01:51 PM.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

What does The Bible say about Heroin?
    What does The Bible say about Cocaine?
    What does The Bible say about huffing paint?

The Bible says our bodies are a Temple of The Spirit. I think God just makes the assumption that we all should have a little bit of common sense.

First off I am going to say that I do NOT smoke marijuana. I do not take any drugs or drink. (i do smoke ciggs though, and struggling to quit)

Now, hemp was once required by law to be grown on farms in the US back in the early 1900s, and later on became illegal(you can read about why it became illegal on your own. That isnt what this thread is about)

Hemp(marijuana) has proven to be beneficial or cure certain illnesses. Medical marijuana is prescribed to people for anxiety, and other medical problems. In that sense using this drug is no wose than taking an anti depressant.
    Marijuana is good for nausea. Chemo patients use it sometimes.
    I personally so no difference in using marijuana and using aprescribed drug.....BUT when someone abuses the drug for recreational purposes is where there is issue.. First off it is illegal. If you are in posession of it without a prescription then you are not obeying the law of the land.

The bible talks about certain herbs used to treat illnesses and so on, but at the same time just because something is there for you to use doesnt mean you should use it.

The bible talks about whine, and celebrating...but that doesnt mean to go off and get stupid drunk either.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

MOD NOTE: The OP has made clear that he is not a Christian by Biblical standards, therefore, I'm moving this post to it's proper forum. Christians Answer. To the OP, please feel welcome to continue to post in CA forum, but the rest of the forums are reserved for practicing Christians. Thank you and enjoy your time with us.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MyCoolUsername View Post
    First off I am going to say that I do NOT smoke marijuana. I do not take any drugs or drink. (i do smoke ciggs though, and struggling to quit)

Now, hemp was once required by law to be grown on farms in the US back in the early 1900s, and later on became illegal(you can read about why it became illegal on your own. That isnt what this thread is about)

Hemp(marijuana) has proven to be beneficial or cure certain illnesses. Medical marijuana is prescribed to people for anxiety, and other medical problems. In that sense using this drug is no wose than taking an anti depressant.
    Marijuana is good for nausea. Chemo patients use it sometimes.
    I personally so no difference in using marijuana and using aprescribed drug.....BUT when someone abuses the drug for recreational purposes is where there is issue.. First off it is illegal. If you are in posession of it without a prescription then you are not obeying the law of the land.

The bible talks about certain herbs used to treat illnesses and so on, but at the same time just because something is there for you to use doesnt mean you should use it.

The bible talks about whine, and celebrating...but that doesnt mean to go off and get stupid drunk either.
    MyCoolUsername, I have no problem with Marijuana for medicinal purposes. That is why I was careful to say that I think using it for recreation is sinful, just as I would consider using prescription meds for recreation or getting high sinful as well. Good point, BTW. It all goes to show that everything God created is good. Sin is when we abuse what God made and use it for evil purposes.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Well actually I just did a little research and saw that the Bible talked about the importance of sobriety a bit ("Be sober and vigilant"). In this case should christians not drink alcohol at all? It just seems a bit hypocritical, especially as a marijuana high is much easier to control than being drunk.
    Both being high on Marry-Jane continually and being drunk continually can have long-term medical consequences. The more you do either, the more physical damage can be done to your body. It is your call... and as the bible says, we reap what we sow.

Blog Entries

Smoking can harm your lungs. God wants everyone to be healthy. And intoxication is frowned upon.

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; (Ephesians 5:18)

Blog Entries

I agree with all you say except for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by MyCoolUsername View Post
    ...I personally so no difference in using marijuana and using aprescribed drug...
    I see a BIG difference. Prescribed drugs are drugs made by man, not just an herb planted by God. Big Pharma couldn't patent herbs like they can all the chemical concoctions that they come up with, that do so much damage to our society, in the long run.

As for what does the bible say?

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    (Gen 1:29)

-and-

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    (1Ti 4:1-4)

Blog Entries

Why?

Are you having yourself some smokes and wondering if it's okay with God for you to keep having them?

If God was real or not ... would it make a difference in your marijuana smoking?

And if so, aren't you getting things a bit backwards?

Maybe work out the whole God thing first and the details later, hmm? Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybob View Post
    I agree with all you say except for this:

I see a BIG difference. Prescribed drugs are drugs made by man, not just an herb planted by God. Big Pharma couldn't patent herbs like they can all the chemical concoctions that they come up with, that do so much damage to our society, in the long run.

As for what does the bible say?

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    (Gen 1:29)

-and-

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    (1Ti 4:1-4)
    I have in my greenhouse some plants that are extremely poisonous. Eating even small amounts of them would be fatal. The juices of some of the others contain powerful narcotics that would cause permanent damage to the brain if swallowed. It is legal for me to grow these particular plants in my greenhouse as long as I take suitable precautions to protect them from anyone so foolish as to abuse them. God did not create these plants for me or anyone else to eat or smoke, and to eat them or smoke them would be to abuse God’s creation and hence to sin against God.

Eating or smoking marijuana is less dangerous, but it is still dangerous. Unless doing so is prescribed by a knowledgeable and responsible physician, and done according to his instructions, the doer thereof would be acting irresponsibly and hence sinfully.

The gentleman who began this thread is asking for some information that will help him—not hurt him.

If marijuana wasn't illegal to use where I live I'd still be using it. But since it is a crime to use where I live it would be a sin for me to break the law and use it. That's one aspect of it. The legality of it. Break the law and you're sinning. Yeah, I go the speed limit now too (Just in case anyone were to ask)

The other aspect of it is: If it were legal and used occasionally, in moderation I wouldn't see it as a sin to use. If it were legal and used in excess then that would be sinful. Using too much weed is just as detrimental to you physically as it is mentally. If you overuse it it can affect your memory, motivation, and perception even when you aren't "high."

If used in moderation I don't see where it would be a sin --once again as long as it was legal to do so--.

But it's just like anything else. If you eat properly food not only taste good it is good for you. If you eat too much you can become obese, develop health problems and in extreme cases get so big you can't even get out of your house. That's sinful too right?

Alcohol is the same thing. If you can drink occasionally, in moderation, then that's fine. No sin there. Some drink way too much and ruin their lives and others around them with it. And that's sinful.

Our bodies are a temple to God. They should be treated with the same respect as a church or scripture or any other tool used by God. You wouldn't trash a church would you? Then don't trash your body or your mind either.

Note to say: This is my personal opinion only and only my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinions, thoughts or any kind of official opinion or stance of this forum or anybody or anything associated with this forum and which I'm sure will be frowned upon by others.
    Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood
    was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
    Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Thread Information