Thread: having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit

having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit

Act 16:6 They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia;
    Act 16:7 and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them;
    Act 16:8 and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas.

The disciples were trying to go and preach the word in Asia, but the Holy Spirit forbid them.
    We know that they later went on to preach the word in Asia, so it was not that the need wasn't there, but it was perhaps to do with the timing.

Would we know, and how would we know if the Holy Spirit forbade us doing such a work today?

Seeing the many needs about us like going to preach the word, should we and do we even being to consider, that the Holy Spirit might just be against our doing the work?

Would we then be working in our own power and strength, rather than the power and strength of the Holy Spirit?

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Re: having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit

This is an excellent question! I'll add my $0.02 later, but am looking forward to reading everyone's responses!

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

In Acts 16:7, the Spirit "suffered them not" (KJV), would lead me to believe that the Spirit did or said something to let Paul know what not to do.
    Why would the Holy Ghost have any less power today? He can get ANY message across to you. Do as the grace of God allows, to the glory of God.

Good thread!

If you keep reading in your example in Acts 16:9-10 God gave them the direction they needed. He stopped them from going into Asia at that time because He had a different direction fro them to go.

Act 16:9 “A vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to him, and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us."
    Act 16:10 “When he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.”

But your point is well taken there are other examples of Paul being stopped from going somewhere and it was not God (directly) that stopped him (1Th_2:18). Even though the devil doesn’t have authority over us apparently he can (with God’s approval) stop us in some ways. In Rom_1:13 and Rom 15:22 Paul mentions being stopped but he doesn’t say what stopped him. So when do we stop and go a different direction or "press through"?

This can get quite confusing and second guessing ourselves I would think is a natural conclusion to over analyzing this. Can we apply to this question what James wrote?

Jas 4:13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit."
    Jas 4:14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.
    Jas 4:15 Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that."
    Jas 4:16 But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil.
    Jas 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Can we substitute ministry in the place of business and profit? Verse 17 perhaps sums it up because the right things to do are the things that come today as the Lord guides our steps and we make the most of every opportunity that we come across today.

Ps. 25:8 Good and upright is the LORD; Therefore He instructs sinners in the way.
    Ps. 25:9 He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way.
    Ps. 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are lovingkindness and truth To those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.
    Ps. 25:11 For Your name's sake, O LORD, Pardon my iniquity, for it is great.
    Ps. 25:12 Who is the man who fears the LORD? He will instruct him in the way he should choose.

The right thing we do today may be the beginning of a life long ministry, who knows (besides the Lord’s)? All we can do is what is available for us today to do (something I have a very difficult time being content with.)
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Hearing the voice of God today in this busy world seams to be rare for some and awesome or others. God speaks to us with a very steal small voice. The problem is it is not verbal to the ears. God communicates from His temple within you. Do you not know, you are the temple of the Holy Spirit if you have been born again? The Kingdom of God is within you (Luke 17:21). The Holy Spirit speaks to your human spirit by intuition and conscious with an ability to know, somehow you just know something or feel warned about something. Your human spirit then communicates to your soul; mind, will and emotions. Example: one day my wife was going to surprise me for my anniversary. She bought plane tickets to this great city, she had dreamed of us going. When I came in from work that day she told me, with great joy, what she had done. The moment she told me I had this sicken feeling enter my stomach. At that time I did not know why I felt this way, but by faith, I told her to change the date and pick another weekend other than this one. You see our anniversary was on September the 9th and she wanted to go to New York City and we were scheduled to visit the twin tower on the 11th that morning. God warned me in my spirit. He said, "from our belly shall flow rivers of living water, speaking of the spirit. John 7:38 Well I felt that communication in my belly, a Warning to not go. After the event of 911 I begin to understand and listen to the voice of God. If I had not obeyed the warning, God gave me, I would be dead today. God speaks, we just need to learn to listen. We need to tune in to our Heavenly Father and learn to obey his voice and not be like the children of Israel that told Moses that they did not want to hear the voice of God because it scared them. So they told Moses to go and speak to God and come back and tell us what He said. Moses would come back from talking to God and his face would glow from God's presence and they became afraid of that, so Moses would put a covering over his face after God spoke with him.
    As some today would say, "hearing the voice of God is AWESOME!!!!!! To know that the Creator of the universe is speaking to me is a wonderful daily event of my life during my later years of life. God Bless those that read this reply to this post. Begin to seek to listen to the voice of God thru intuition and conscious. Intuition informs and conscious warns.
    Last edited by zoe4me; May 15th 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for all the replies so far, and what a great testimony zoe4me!!

Rev 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this:
    Rev 3:8 'I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

Jesus said that what door He opens no man can shut, and what door He closes no man can open.

So even though these hindrances can come in many ways and guises, should we conclude that ultimately they are all from God?

If we are hindered by Satan or man, should we (as is often done) come against and rebuke the enemy and try to press on, or are we possibly in danger of actually coming against Gods hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far, and what a great testimony zoe4me!!

Rev 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this:
    Rev 3:8 'I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

Jesus said that what door He opens no man can shut, and what door He closes no man can open.

So even though these hindrances can come in many ways and guises, should we conclude that ultimately they are all from God?

If we are hindered by Satan or man, should we (as is often done) come against and rebuke the enemy and try to press on, or are we possibly in danger of actually coming against Gods hand?
    One part of the answer is our daily prayers. The Lord's prayer as it is called is not a prayer at all, rather an outline. The disciples had just ask Him to teach them to pray and this is the outline or form He gave to follow...

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
    Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

We ask for God's will and guidance. Lead us in doing your work Father. Show us the way.

Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.

Not only our physical needs, but the bread from heaven...

Joh 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

We ask Jesus Christ to live in us. To live our lives as He would live and to live in the will of God.

Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

If we do not forgive others, God won't hear and accept our prayers...

Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
    Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Temptation here would better translate difficult trials. Spare us from great difficulties. Deliver us from the evil one.

All of these things and many more are required for effective prayer and guidance from God only comes by effective prayer. Remember the details...

Lev 16:12 And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the vail:

Doesn't take a lot of scholarship to figure this one out...

Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
    Rev 8:3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

The incense beaten small is symbolic of our prayers in fine detail.

Much detailed prayer is one key to being in the will of God and following the Holy Spirit wherever it leads us.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Act 16:6 They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia;
    Act 16:7 and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them;
    Act 16:8 and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas.

The disciples were trying to go and preach the word in Asia, but the Holy Spirit forbid them.
    We know that they later went on to preach the word in Asia, so it was not that the need wasn't there, but it was perhaps to do with the timing.

Would we know, and how would we know if the Holy Spirit forbade us doing such a work today?

Seeing the many needs about us like going to preach the word, should we and do we even being to consider, that the Holy Spirit might just be against our doing the work?

Would we then be working in our own power and strength, rather than the power and strength of the Holy Spirit?
    Jesus Christ is building His own church apart from what men are doing.

Thread Information