1. And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
3. And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
- For the whole world to wonder suggests a modern global event.
- The wounded head as if to death mentioned in Isaiah 51:9, and Habakkuk 3:13.
9. Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the Lord; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?
*This particular Rahab is just another reference to the dragon.
13. Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah
12. And he (False Prophet) exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
14. And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
John wrote Revelation during the reign of the Roman Empire. A possible interpretation of the allegoric seven Kings (Empires) in regard to Israel that John writes of are:
10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen (Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia-Mede, Greece), and one is (Rome), and the other (Revised Roman Empire - Antichrist) is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space (7 years).
Clearly, the other (Revised Roman Empire) is the head as it were wounded to death, for the Antichrist is the eighth that comes to assume complete power, followed shortly by the False Prophet.
11. And the beast that was, and is not, even he (Antichrist) is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.
I was curious as to what kind of wound that was healed - that would be of such wonderment to the whole world. My initial thought was that it is a literal head wound of a major power player in the Revised Roman Empire, somewhat like the Arizona Congresswoman who survived a serious gunshot wound to the head - but that was no sword Revelation 13:14. However, it appears that the Revised Roman Empire suffers some sort of calamity (such as the sword of a Jihad War) that almost causes its complete economic collapse. A global Jihad would also create global economic calamities.
This sets the global stage for the appearance of the Antichrist, just as Hitler rose to power in post WWI Germany:
Daniel 11:21 And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries.
Perhaps it is even by design of the Antichrist himself that initiates the Revised Roman Empire’s calamity and by craft orchestrates a false peace that is the wonderment spoken of in Revelation 13:3. Being a pre-tribulation believer I have my doubts that the church will witness this event:
II Thessalonians 2:
3. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4. Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
At some point the Antichrist is revealed. From the Jewish perspective the Antichrist is clearly revealed at the midpoint of the tribulation when he presents himself as God in the Holy Temple. From the Christian perspective his appearance at the beginning of the tribulation is when he is revealed. As to what determines the beginning of the tribulation is anybody’s guess, but the stage is clearly set for end time events to be put into play.
As to the wounded as to death it is possible that an economic calamity such as a Jihad would be to the Revised Roman Empire as being wounded as to death by the sword in Revelation 13:14. A global socialistic economic system is possibly established as the quickest fix to a desperate situation. With the church out of the way a one-world religion such as Chrislam becomes the dominant global religious force with the False Prophet at its head.
What would be the wonderment of a false peace and the survival of the Revised Roman Empire? The devil is in the details of the false peace orchestrated by the Antichrist and that could mean anything. For instance, for the Jews and Christians alike a wonderment would be the appearance of a new Jewish Temple upon the Temple Mount as foretold in Daniel 9:27. Since Christian Jews and Gentiles are to be raptured before the Antichrist is revealed at the beginning of the seven-year tribulation, then we would not be here to witness that event.
There will surely be wonders to behold by non-believers and hypocrites alike during the tribulation period as foretold by Christ in the Gospels and inthe Book of Revelation, but you don’t want to be here to see them.