cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many “Holy Spirits” Are There?

Question How Many “Holy Spirits” Are There?

There are, in the posts on this message board, very many different and conflicting interpretations of the many passages in the Bible, but each of the writers of these posts believe that they received their interpretation from the Holy Spirit. How can we know which interpretations (if any of them) were really received from the Holy Spirit? How can we know if our own interpretation of any given passage in the Bible is from the Holy Spirit, a “familiar” sprit, some other spirit, or our own mind or imagination?

Re: How Many “Holy Spirits” Are There?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemand View Post
    How Many “Holy Spirits” Are There?
    Only one Holy Spirit is mentioned in the bible.

How can we know if our own interpretation of any given passage in the Bible is from the Holy Spirit, a “familiar” sprit, some other spirit, or our own mind or imagination?
    Other scripture should support it else the interpretation is wrong.

Blog Entries

There are, in the posts on this message board, very many different and conflicting interpretations of the many passages in the Bible, but each of the writers of these posts believe that they received their interpretation from the Holy Spirit. How can we know which interpretations (if any of them) were really received from the Holy Spirit? How can we know if our own interpretation of any given passage in the Bible is from the Holy Spirit, a “familiar” sprit, some other spirit, or our own mind or imagination?
    Jesus explained the Holy Spirit fairly well here:

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
    (Joh 14:16-18)

and here:

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
    (Joh 16:13-14)

If your in doubt then you can always ask God to convict you of the correct interpretation. Also investigate the passage for yourself get into the Bible and read it more.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I agree with your post Jemand, I think that we all at times think that our interpretation is divinely given, when often it is a conclusion come to from our own minds or persuasion by others.
    Perhaps we are all too quick to come to a conclusion, it's a crowded and noisy world we live in and getting time to hear his voice is becoming increasingly difficult and we do get it wrong sometimes, so best not to label the source until we are absolutely sure and that may take a lifetime ( will in my case anyway)
    But as ewq1938 says it has to be supported by other scripture but then there's the dilemma of how you have interpreted that other scripture?
    I know that this will be laughed off as female emotion but sometimes if it feels comfortable, right down there in my solar plexus and if it also sits well with other scripture I think I just might be on the right track.

Blog Entries

I understand what you mean, the Holy Spirit seemed to teach me things, He now doesn't agree with I'm sure there are many members here, who like I, used to fiercely defend a doctrine they no longer believe. Did I think the Holy Spirit was leading me in my old understanding of scriptures? You bet. Do I think He's leading me now? Of course I do.

All I can say is, that as a young Christian, I listened to man much more than I do now. I didn't test everything by the word, and I thought that if my Pastor and those around me believed it, it must be truth. Boy did I get that wrong!

Today, I try to stay open to different views, and I spend a lot of time in the word. Reading a whole NT letter in one go, rather than just a few verses, really helped me get things in context. Apart from that, I trust, as I'm sure we all do,that God will reveal the truth, as long as I remain open to it.We're all growing in that department.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

If man-made doctrine is involved with what we believe, seems the answer is easy to discern
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Blog Entries

You know if something being said is truth because the Holy Spirit speaks in you. If you don't know His voice, it would be just going with whatever sounded best to you...
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

I think it is partly a matter of not being able to tell the difference between interpretation and personal revelation. Have you ever had a scripture that just jumps out at you and speaks to your heart then two months later you come across the same scripture and it speak something different to you? Or you get this revelation from the scriptures and it seems so alive and powerful but when you share it with someone they go "HUH, ?" Perhaps you were the one saying “HUH, ?” This is what I call personal revelation. It is the Holy Spirit speaking to a certain issue in or about you. The important thing to remember is that it is for you personally. It is God dealing with you and no one else. The scripture doesn’t even have to be contextually relevant for this to happen.

What happens many times though is that people do not take it as such. They will take it as a “new revelation” or “special revelation” or some such notion and that it should be adhered to by the whole church and if you don’t get it then obviously you are not spiritual enough or need to grow more before you understand such deep spiritual truths. People try to turn their revelation into scriptural interpretation. Pride and arrogance will not allow them to see that they might have blown a simple revelation from God to them personally, out of proportion. I couldn't possibly be wrong!!! Not me!!! After all; I am Christian hear me "ROAR." I just have to be right; ................ don't I?

Then of course there are the truly ones out there, Where's the stones when you need them? But then again there wouldn't be much left of the church if stoning wasn't frowned upon.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

And through the storm yet I will praise you
    Despite it all yet I will sing
    Through good or bad yet I will worship
    You remain the same, King of Kings

You are the voice of hope; the anchor of my soul
    Where there seems to be no way, you make it possible
    You are the Prince of Peace amidst adversity
    My lips will shout for joy to you the Most High.
    "The voice of Hope" Lara Martin

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

This is a fair question that I've intentionally avoided answering for awhile for several reasons. There have been some good answers given so far. This question is, at once, both easy and difficult to answer. Obviously, were the Holy Spirit leading and teaching all who make the claim, then there wouldn't be such an overwhelming number of denominations, all claiming to teach the truth, and all having disagreements with the other denominations. Likewise, this unity of doctrine would extend to individual saints, were the Spirit truly leading all. It is readily apparent that He is not leading everyone who claims His leading.

There are only three voices we can hear: the voice of God, the voice of the enemy, and the voice of man (including our own.) Jesus said His sheep hear His voice. Learning to hear, and to distinguish, His voice requires a seeking, humble, penitent, teachable heart, help from those who have already learned it, prayer, study of the scriptures, quietness of soul (including a lack of preconceived notions), patience, love, and faith. Ultimately, knowing that something comes from the Holy Spirit is reliant upon faith in God springing from love for Him. If any love God, they are known by Him. Knowing Him and being known by Him require an intimate relationship. Knowing something is from Him stems from knowing Him, knowing His heart, knowing His voice, and unfettered trust.

Even in light of such a relationship, we may not always hear Him correctly for many reasons. That is why we must continue to bear each other’s burdens lovingly as He perfects us.

blessings,

Watchman
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

How do you know you are born of the Spirit? You have a sense of the Spirit's presence within you, right? How can that be explained? It's very difficult. Same thing with trying to explain how you know something is from the Holy Spirit. I could say "I just do" or "I know what I know" but that's not going to be very convincing. But that is how I feel. I don't know how to explain how I know when something is from the Holy Spirit. It's just something I spiritually discern. How do I put that into words? I don't really know. There isn't a formula I can give for explaining how to know that an interpretation is from the Holy Spirit.

Beyond that, we need to interpret scripture with scripture. If we interpret one scripture in such a way that contradicts our interpretation of another scripture then we need to try again until both scriptures can be reconciled together. That's another way to tell if it's from the Holy Spirit. If it agrees with the rest of scripture then you know it's from the Holy Spirit and is the correct interpretation. But then you have to ask how do you know someone's overall understanding of scripture is correct and from the Holy Spirit? Again, it's just very difficult to explain how we know that our interpretation is from the Holy Spirit. Obviously, in many cases, people are wrong about what they claim is from the Holy Spirit. Why? What causes them to think they are being taught by the Holy Spirit when in reality they are not? Well, there can be many reasons. I think the closer your relationship is to God the more likely you are to be able to discern what His Spirit is teaching you. So, that's a big key to spiritual discernment. If someone is not very close to God I don't see how they can be sure whether they are hearing from Him or not.

Blog Entries

Shema Yisra'el, YHVH Elohim, YHVH echad.

Deuteronomy 6.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Shema Yisra'el, YHVH Elohim, YHVH echad.

Deuteronomy 6.
    There goes Keck553 again...postin' in tongues! Translator, wherefore art thou?!?

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    There goes Keck553 again...postin' in tongues! Translator, wherefore art thou?!?
    I use IMTranslator 4.16 as an extension in Firefox. The translation result was:

Shema Yisrael, YHVH Elohim, YHVH echad

(I guess they need v4.17 to include Hebrew)
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I use IMTranslator 4.16 as an extension in Firefox. The translation result was:

Shema Yisrael, YHVH Elohim, YHVH echad

(I guess they need v4.17 to include Hebrew)

blessings,

Watchman

Thread Information