You get it and that is a very good example you have given.Ooh! Ooh! Call on me!! Pick me!! Can I give an example?
Seriously, I agree with what you have said. People - in their ignorant perspectives place limitations on God and put Him that proverbial box. In actuality however, God isn't in that box at all.
Here's my example.
Zechariah, John the Baptist's father.
He was the priest in charge of burning the incense and waiting for God to speak. There were people outside the Temple waiting for the priest in charge of the incense to come out and give them the Word. But God hadn't spoken in 400 years. So the burning of the incense just became rote to some people.
One day though, and you know this, the angel Gabriel came during the incense burning and spoke God's Word to Zechariah. He said a list of things to Zechariah that got bigger, affected more people, and were more wondrous as he spoke them. He said:
- God has heard your prayer and you and your wife are going to have a baby son.
Well, Zechariah was viewing God and the appearance of this angel who just popped in and scared him to death through the filter of (a) God not speaking for a long, long time and (b) he and his wife being very, very old; her being too old to have babies; and their not having had babies for their entire married lives.
So.....when the angel Gabriel said that a baby was coming and that God had heard their prayers, Zechariah already had placed God in that box of limitations and he couldn't get past that message and MISSED OUT on the rest of what Gabriel had to say......
- You will call him John (Zechariah personally)
- He will be a blessing to you (Zechariah and Elizabeth)
- And many will rejoice at his birth (extended friends and family who will be so happy for them)
- He will be great in the sight of the Lord. He won't drink wine because He will be filled with the Holy Spirit from birth. (John will have a Godly purpose)
- He will bring back many people of Israel to the Lord (the whole nation will be affected by him)
- He will go one before the Lord, in the spirit and the power of Elijah and will make an entire group of people ready for the Lord (the whole nation is looking for Elijah and now God's man has come to continue the spirit and power of Elijah and the whole nation will know it.)
And after all that - because Zechariah had metaphorically placed God into that box of limitations, all he can say to this supernatural being in front of him is....
....."I don't know about this. My wife and I are really old."
When we place limitations on God out of our own life's filters - we forget just how powerful God really is. And so did Zechariah - apparently, he - a PRIEST for crying out loud - had forgotten what God did for the elderly and childless couple Abraham and Sarah.