cure-real

Thread: Did God Call Abraham at 75?

Did God Call Abraham at 75?

Did God Call Abraham at 75? NO!
    Gen 12:4 So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram [was] seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
    Let’s clear this popular misconception that God called Abraham at the age of 75. That is not true. God called him far before he was 75years as we will see in the scripture. Abraham was dwelling in Ur of Chaldeans before he moved to Haran and finally to Cannan. God called Abraham ever before he went to dwell in Haran. The book of Acts of Apostles reveals this in long speech of martyr Steven. “And he (Stephen) said,
    ‘Brethren and father listen, the God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia before he dwelt in Haran and said to him “get out of your country and from your relatives and come to the land that I will show you”.(Acts7:2-3). God called Him ever before he went to dwell in Haran. Abraham was only 75 when he was leaving Haran to finally yield the call and was not call in Haran.
    God called him when he was in Mesopotamia in Ur of Chaldean but all the years he spent in Haran was more or less unfulfilling as nothing tangible was recorded of him that he achieved in walking with God except that he came out with some properties. (Gen 12:5). Gen 12:5 And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.
    The word of God to Abraham Gen12:1-3, was not spoken by God to Abraham when he was in Haran. If you consider the introduction in verse one “Now God had said to Abraham ‘get out of your country from your family and from your father’s house to a land I will show you’ ”; note that clause “God had said”.
    God gave him the vision while still in Ur of Chaldeans, I believe that was why he left the place, but stopped over at Haran possibly at his father decision and descretion—he was playing daddy’s boy. “And Terah took his son Abram and his grandson Lot, the son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law, Sarai, his son Abram’s wife and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Cannan: and they came to Haran and dwell there” (Gen 11:31). So Abram was called ever before he was 75. The best time to answer Gods call is now. The quality of your life is determined by the quantity of spent to follow Gods plan. Better to be in need of what you want than to be in want of what you need.

Re: Did God Call Abraham at 75?

What is missing in that section is some other "hebrewisms" or manners of speech that would be understood but not said.

When "God had said" it usually meant that Abraham had gone and visited a prophet or family elder and that elder had spoken on behalf of God to Abram. (Not yet Abraham)
    And it this specific case we actually got an Idea as to who that really was.
    Most likely it was Shem...from Noah's ark. He was the patriarch and living at the time of Abraham.
    We also see later that Abraham sent his servant off to the North West section of the Fertile Crescent to get a wife for his son Isaac. As well as Jacob ran to there as well to hide out from his brother with his relatives. Abraham spent some time there and left his brother there as the whole family went.

The whole trip before he had his big meal with God (upon which our communion is distantly related to) and God promises him a son took 24 years.

Abraham lived to be 175...not 120 like Moses. Kinda odd considering that God had made a statement that no one lived beyond 120 after the flood. Of course everyone disobeyed that one too. But Abraham was God's friend.

But also...as a point of personal study you might look into what it meant to the Jews to be "Called"...it is more involved than what you might think

Quote Originally Posted by James Akindele View Post
    Gen 12:4 So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram [was] seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
    Let’s clear this popular misconception that God called Abraham at the age of 75. That is not true. God called him far before he was 75years as we will see in the scripture. Abraham was dwelling in Ur of Chaldeans before he moved to Haran and finally to Cannan. God called Abraham ever before he went to dwell in Haran. The book of Acts of Apostles reveals this in long speech of martyr Steven. “And he (Stephen) said,
    ‘Brethren and father listen, the God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia before he dwelt in Haran and said to him “get out of your country and from your relatives and come to the land that I will show you”.(Acts7:2-3). God called Him ever before he went to dwell in Haran. Abraham was only 75 when he was leaving Haran to finally yield the call and was not call in Haran.
    God called him when he was in Mesopotamia in Ur of Chaldean but all the years he spent in Haran was more or less unfulfilling as nothing tangible was recorded of him that he achieved in walking with God except that he came out with some properties. (Gen 12:5). Gen 12:5 And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.
    The word of God to Abraham Gen12:1-3, was not spoken by God to Abraham when he was in Haran. If you consider the introduction in verse one “Now God had said to Abraham ‘get out of your country from your family and from your father’s house to a land I will show you’ ”; note that clause “God had said”.
    God gave him the vision while still in Ur of Chaldeans, I believe that was why he left the place, but stopped over at Haran possibly at his father decision and descretion—he was playing daddy’s boy. “And Terah took his son Abram and his grandson Lot, the son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law, Sarai, his son Abram’s wife and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Cannan: and they came to Haran and dwell there” (Gen 11:31). So Abram was called ever before he was 75. The best time to answer Gods call is now. The quality of your life is determined by the quantity of spent to follow Gods plan. Better to be in need of what you want than to be in want of what you need.
    Thanks brother, kind of i had rather said “did God first appear to Abraham when he was in Haran?” and scripture says he was 75 when leaving Haran Gen 12:4. But Stephen said this:
    Brethren and father listen, the God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia before he dwelt in Haran and said to him “get out of your country and from your relatives and come to the land that I will show you”.(Acts7:2-3). So the statement in Gen 12:1-3, “Now God had said to Abraham ‘get out of your country from your family and from your father’s house to a land I will show you’ ” was definitely not spoken to him by God @75 while in Haran.
    Living you for God…

Quote Originally Posted by James Akindele View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for sharing your views on this. I found it highly interesting to read.
    You mentioned that many versions of the English Bible states that "God had said to Abram". However, when I look at the Hebrew word used here, אמר ('âmar), which is the word translated "had said", I can't see that this word is actually written specifically in a grammatically "past perfect" form, but that it might just as well just be translated "God said to Abram". The same Hebrew word is for example used in Genesis 12:7: "The Lord appeared to Abram and said:" In this case it is not in "past perfect" form, but in regular "past tense".
    What is your views on that?

The truth is we have no idea how God revealed himself to Abram or exactly when. We do know that it ignited his faith and caused him to take some rather bold steps.

Thread Information