Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Called to Quit Smoking

Re: Called to Quit Smoking

Hi Neil, as you stated, with God nothing is impossible!

You are right about the nicotine being poison, it's mostly in the leaves of tomato plants and if we eat them we will get sick. There is trace amounts of nicotine in tomatoes and potatoes and eggplants and peppers. It's also being studied to use nicotine as a drug for adhd.

Are you still hanging in there?
    I wanted to shar a favourite hymn of mine, originally from right here in Sweden actually but I'll give you the English version.

The essence is: Take each day at a time, Šnd each moment during that day, at a time. The Lord will be with you in each moment as you struggle, so trust on him and continue to take one moment at a time. He can give you strength to hang in there. Not sure if this comes across in the English translation. Each moment that you can resist, is a victory.

Thank you Hannah, yes I am hanging in there. Thank you for the lovely hymn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post

Are you still hanging in there?
    I wanted to shar a favourite hymn of mine, originally from right here in Sweden actually but I'll give you the English version.

The essence is: Take each day at a time, Šnd each moment during that day, at a time. The Lord will be with you in each moment as you struggle, so trust on him and continue to take one moment at a time. He can give you strength to hang in there. Not sure if this comes across in the English translation. Each moment that you can resist, is a victory.

to this!... thanks so much for your input...
    reminds me of an old favorite; one day at a time sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from You... just give me the strength to do everyday, what I have to do

with you about music... listening to our favorite hymns, Gospel or contemporary Christian songs; can really help to uplift & en-power us ... & not just Spiritually, but mentally, emotionally & physically; alleviating detrimental effects of stress ... even singing along with them, helps strengthen our breathing too... & it's almost impossible to sing & smoke at the same time, you know?

Blog Entries

Hi nerd!

I am also one of those who quit with the help of an e-cig. I had tried just about every e-cig out there but the one that really helped me was "21st Century."
    I laugh when ever anyone says: yes, but that still has nicotine in it!
    And I think: well, it certainly isn't WORSE than the cigarettes because I am breathing better, sleeping better, feeling better. I was one of those people who thought I would never quit - ever, because every time I tried I failed. I smoked for 30 years! I have now not had a cigarette for one month officially at 8 p.m. tonight.
    And I have just recently (the last 5 days or so), begun to forget to pick it up first thing in the morning, and one day, I drove all the way to class and got inside the building before I realized that not once during the entire ride there had I even thought about that e-cig!
    I didn't experience any of the demonic stuff talked about in here, and I never felt that I was sinning to continue smoking after meeting God, but I definitely knew without a doubt that it was in no way profitable to me.
    Hang in there. It gets easier. I promise.
    (I gained 10 pounds in three weeks.)
    It has begun to even out because I only buy very hard candies now. Chocolate was a big mistake - doesn't last as long or keep your mouth busy for long before you're popping another piece!

Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    Hi nerd!

I am also one of those who quit with the help of an e-cig. I had tried just about every e-cig out there but the one that really helped me was "21st Century."
    I laugh when ever anyone says: yes, but that still has nicotine in it!
    And I think: well, it certainly isn't WORSE than the cigarettes because I am breathing better, sleeping better, feeling better. I was one of those people who thought I would never quit - ever, because every time I tried I failed
    . I smoked for 30 years! I have now not had a cigarette for one month officially at 8 p.m. tonight.
    And I have just recently (the last 5 days or so), begun to forget to pick it up first thing in the morning, and one day, I drove all the way to class and got inside the building before I realized that not once during the entire ride there had I even thought about that e-cig!
    I didn't experience any of the demonic stuff talked about in here, and I never felt that I was sinning to continue smoking after meeting God, but I definitely knew without a doubt that it was in no way profitable to me.
    Hang in there. It gets easier. I promise.
    (I gained 10 pounds in three weeks.)
    It has begun to even out because I only buy very hard candies now. Chocolate was a big mistake - doesn't last as long or keep your mouth busy for long before you're popping another piece!
    with what you're saying about e-cigs... they really can help to wean off & quit smoking regular cigarettes... it's much easier than going "cold turkey" too... the withdrawal symptoms aren't as severe... & it's because they still have nicotine in them... but then, you can gradually lower the dosage down to zero %

I can also relate to how you felt in relation to God... since I didn't really feel any condemnation (from God anyway) for having that "thorn of the flesh"... but I also knew that it wasn't God's best for me (as you said; not profitable) nor should I be perpetually controlled by it... so I continue to pray that His Strength be manifested in my weakness

& unfortunately I can relate to the weight gain too... as this has always been a major stumbling block for me... so I've switched to sugar-less hard candy or gum... even chewing on flavored toothpicks (that seems to pacify the hand to mouth aspect of the smoking habit)... & I'll have healthier teeth & gums

Not sure how much cigarettes cost in the USA, but in the UK there must be plenty of people who can't afford to smoke anymore and perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that the state is using the fags as a cash cow to exploit people's addictions.
    1 packet of Marlboro Lights is £7.80 which is 12.55 US dollars. At that price I am simply not smoking, even though I use cigarettes as to relax my nerves when things are really stressful such as right now.

I myself cannot afford to smoke anymore.

So when the chips are down and this habit is ruining your life in so many different ways, the question remains. How do you stop?

You always told youself that tomorrow you would stop if you really had to. Now that day has come, you can hear the beginnings of emphysemia when you have too many cigarettes, yet the fear prompts you to take another cigarette, so now what do you do?

The enemy is busy laughing in the aisles, his sides are bursting from merriment and he is pounding in the ground in mirth, laughing uproariously and refusing to stop, as you take another cigarette in shame?

The cigarette tastes disgusting, it no longer gives you any reward whatsoever, you see a life of misery ahead of you if you take another cigarette, life without cigarettes looks much better, yet you light up again?

So the chips are down, it is your time to overcome, you are failing miserably, so now what do you?

Christ said if you overcome, you will be seated at His right hand. If your right hand causes you to sin, chop it off. The pit is looming in front of you. So now, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Not sure how much cigarettes cost in the USA, but in the UK there must be plenty of people who can't afford to smoke anymore and perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that the state is using the fags as a cash cow to exploit people's addictions.
    1 packet of Marlboro Lights is £7.80 which is 12.55 US dollars. At that price I am simply not smoking, even though I use cigarettes as to relax my nerves when things are really stressful such as right now.

Well done you, for hanging in there so far! Don't give up! You can't remain a slave to this overpriced poison.... Phillip Morris is laughing, as the millions of addicts they created are slowly killing themselves. Now at least you won't be one of them!

I am lucky that I can party smoke, smoke in stressful times etc and I just never seem to get addicted. I go six months without smoking, then have a few, and a two months without etc.
    At boarding school, what little social life there was, revolved around sneaking out in the forest to smoke (ridiculous when you think of it) or spending endless hours at cafes, smoking, gossipping and drinking coffee. Many of my girlfriends got hooked back then and have struggled with stopping for over a decade. Getting pregnant is the only thing that stopped them. People will poison themselves but not their babies, thank goodness! But I never got hooked, despite smoking at university too. Must be something genetical. I am hooked to chocolate instead.

There IS enough strength in God to resist and once you left it behind you will have yet another sign of what you can achieve when you trust God.

A friend of mine that I hadn't seen for many years had stopped smoking and she said that today she is disgusted at how she used to smoke. Still today she's finding old jumpers and coats that she can now notice are infused with smoke.

So glad she was able to stop, and so can you!

Hi Hannah

Thank you for your encouragement.

Yes, it is amazing that you can socially smoke. I guess some can, and you will know immediately if you're one of those people or not!

With God's grace, YES I CAN!

Neil

Hi nerdforJesus,

I am a smoker. However, the Holy Spirit has been convicting me of the need to stop for sometime now. When I try to quit and fail I feel complete brokenness before God. The guilt and shame are, at times, overwhelming. I start thinking...how can a child of God continue to fail...how can a child of God not be obedient. Every time I fail, I fall on my knees before God and confess my inability to quit and beg for Him to continue to work in my life. I keep asking for Him not to give up on me, even though I've been such a failure. I ask for His grace, His compassion, His mercy, His guidance, His forgiveness. I cry out with tears running down my face. Yet when the craving hits...I cave in. It's like I'm completely powerless over this addiction. I'm at a loss. Where else can I turn? No-where, because Christ alone has the words of life.

I am a new member to this board and this is my first post....I would ask that you guys would pray for me. I need all the help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by michael b View Post
    Hi nerdforJesus,

I am a smoker. However, the Holy Spirit has been convicting me of the need to stop for sometime now. When I try to quit and fail I feel complete brokenness before God. The guilt and shame are, at times, overwhelming. I start thinking...how can a child of God continue to fail...how can a child of God not be obedient. Every time I fail, I fall on my knees before God and confess my inability to quit and beg for Him to continue to work in my life. I keep asking for Him not to give up on me, even though I've been such a failure. I ask for His grace, His compassion, His mercy, His guidance, His forgiveness. I cry out with tears running down my face. Yet when the craving hits...I cave in. It's like I'm completely powerless over this addiction. I'm at a loss. Where else can I turn? No-where, because Christ alone has the words of life.

I am a new member to this board and this is my first post....I would ask that you guys would pray for me. I need all the help I can get.
    welcome to the forum, my Brother in Christ we'll pray for each other; that His Strength be manifested in our weakness...
    your struggle is very familiar to me & even the Apostle Paul can relate to what we're both going through... in much the same way as you've described it

{Romans 7 NLT}
    21 I have discovered this principle of lifeóthat when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.
    22 I love Godís law with all my heart.
    23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.
    24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?
    25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey Godís law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

Hi Michael

I could cry when I read this post. That is how I feel. How long has it been now, since I was called to quit? I get more powerless everytime I cave in.

I will most certainly pray for you.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by michael b View Post
    Hi nerdforJesus,

I am replying to the OP in hopes that all who read this might be inspired.
    I too was a fairly heavy smoker along with the drugs that I was doing (Pot, crack. coke. heroin quaaludes, speed, etc...). When God spoke to me, it influenced me to stop doing drugs, but I was still smoking cigs.about 10 days later, I was once again inspired by God through a dream. He said that unless I got rid of the strongholds that were coming between Him and myself, then I wouldn't be able to experience the full blessings that God had planned for me and my family. I was so hungry to please God and receive my blessings, I quit on the spot and have not picked up a cig since.
    Like drugs, cigs were a stronghold that got between me and God. I had already been doing wrong before, and I wanted to remain in His good graces.
    .......................John 3:16.........................

My testimony:http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112657I hope that it inspires one and all

Anyone who reads this thread who is also still struggling to quit, wants to chat privately email me on nerdforjesus@gmail.com

Thread Information