Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Called to Quit Smoking

Re: Called to Quit Smoking

Hi Baxpack7

Thank you for this. I too received a similar message from God, that I needed to stop in order to get the blessings He wanted for me and my family. I am still struggling with it.

I would ask anyone who reads this to pray for me, that I will be victorious in my struggle.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by baxpack7 View Post
    I am replying to the OP in hopes that all who read this might be inspired.
    I too was a fairly heavy smoker along with the drugs that I was doing (Pot, crack. coke. heroin quaaludes, speed, etc...). When God spoke to me, it influenced me to stop doing drugs, but I was still smoking cigs.about 10 days later, I was once again inspired by God through a dream. He said that unless I got rid of the strongholds that were coming between Him and myself, then I wouldn't be able to experience the full blessings that God had planned for me and my family. I was so hungry to please God and receive my blessings, I quit on the spot and have not picked up a cig since.
    Like drugs, cigs were a stronghold that got between me and God. I had already been doing wrong before, and I wanted to remain in His good graces.

I have tried every method of 'weaning' off cigarettes and none of them worked. The only way that has ever worked in the past was cold turkey. That said I'm currently praying for the willingness to be willing. When it's time, I know the only way for me is to lean into the pain and suffer through the pain of withdrawal. When Paul complained about the torn in his side the Lord said this to him:

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Quote Originally Posted by michael b View Post
    Hi nerdforJesus,

I am a smoker. However, the Holy Spirit has been convicting me of the need to stop for sometime now. When I try to quit and fail I feel complete brokenness before God. The guilt and shame are, at times, overwhelming. I start thinking...how can a child of God continue to fail...how can a child of God not be obedient. Every time I fail, I fall on my knees before God and confess my inability to quit and beg for Him to continue to work in my life. I keep asking for Him not to give up on me, even though I've been such a failure. I ask for His grace, His compassion, His mercy, His guidance, His forgiveness. I cry out with tears running down my face. Yet when the craving hits...I cave in. It's like I'm completely powerless over this addiction. I'm at a loss. Where else can I turn? No-where, because Christ alone has the words of life.

I am a new member to this board and this is my first post....I would ask that you guys would pray for me. I need all the help I can get.
    I believe God relieves us of our afflictions in His time, not ours. I truly believe that I will be relieved of this smoking affliction, but it won't be on my timetable. I'm powerless over cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by ndibari View Post
    I believe God relieves us of our afflictions in His time, not ours. I truly believe that I will be relieved of this smoking affliction, but it won't be on my timetable. I'm powerless over cigarettes.
    as this has been my experience with this struggle...

& I can also relate to Paul's letters about his "thorn of the flesh"

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 3:5-7 View Post
    as this has been my experience with this struggle...

& I can also relate to Paul's letters about his "thorn of the flesh"
    I often try to apply this verse to my afflictions:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

I'm sure the Holy Spirit doesn't appreciate smoke filled lungs. Of course the verse was referring to sexual immorality - in particular, being with a prostitute - so I continue to rationalize unhealthy behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by ndibari View Post
    I often try to apply this verse to my afflictions:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

I'm sure the Holy Spirit doesn't appreciate smoke filled lungs. Of course the verse was referring to sexual immorality - in particular, being with a prostitute - so I continue to rationalize unhealthy behavior.
    yeah... I wouldn't think that the Holy Spirit appreciates smoke filled lungs either... anymore than He would a body/temple that's polluted by alcohol & drugs or gluttony, inactivity & obesity... or being subjected to fornication or adultery...
    although His Strength can be made manifest over ANY of those carnal weaknesses, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 3:5-7 View Post
    yeah... I wouldn't think that the Holy Spirit appreciates smoke filled lungs either... anymore than He would a body/temple that's polluted by alcohol & drugs or gluttony, inactivity & obesity... or being subjected to fornication or adultery...
    although His Strength can be made manifest over ANY of those carnal weaknesses, you know?
    To be completely candid, I'm not willing just yet to go through the pain of nicotine withdrawal. The physical aspect of it isn't that bad, but the mood swings and irritability aren't fair to my family. They suffer much more than I do when I try to stop. You're right though. Phil 4:13 says, "I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

In my life smoking has become a sin and it is an activity that needs to come to an end. I say that because the Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit. And didn't Jesus says that He (the Holy Spirit) would lead us (me) into all truth?

The conviction about this sin in my life is more real than it ever has been in the past. James 4:17 says, "Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." Well...the Holy Spirit has revealed to me the right thing to do and I have two choices: stop or keep smoking. If I keep smoking, then to me, it is a sin.

This thing "smoking", if you want to call it an affliction...well, go right ahead. But one thing I do know, it doesn't come from God. It is a self induced affliction. In my life, God has instructed me to take action, just like He requires me to take action in every area of my life where I see sin. For me to sit back and wait for God to intervene would have been as silly as sitting back and waiting for Him to save me. If a person waits for God to save him, he might be waiting a long, long time. It is my understanding that God requires action on my (our) part. He commands men everywhere to repent...and I don't think that applies only to salvation. Repentance is one standard which can verify my salvation. The fact that I'm saved is not that 20 years ago I repented and believe in Jesus, but rather 20 years ago I repent and am still repenting today.

Quote Originally Posted by michael b View Post
    In my life smoking has become a sin and it is an activity that needs to come to an end. I say that because the Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit. And didn't Jesus says that He (the Holy Spirit) would lead us (me) into all truth?

The conviction about this sin in my life is more real than it ever has been in the past. James 4:17 says, "Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." Well...the Holy Spirit has revealed to me the right thing to do and I have two choices: stop or keep smoking. If I keep smoking, then to me, it is a sin.

This thing "smoking", if you want to call it an affliction...well, go right ahead. But one thing I do know, it doesn't come from God. It is a self induced affliction. In my life, God has instructed me to take action, just like He requires me to take action in every area of my life where I see sin. For me to sit back and wait for God to intervene would have been as silly as sitting back and waiting for Him to save me. If a person waits for God to save him, he might be waiting a long, long time. It is my understanding that God requires action on my (our) part. He commands men everywhere to repent...and I don't think that applies only to salvation. Repentance is one standard which can verify my salvation. The fact that I'm saved is not that 20 years ago I repented and believe in Jesus, but rather 20 years ago I repent and am still repenting today.
    indeed Jesus is ever working in our hearts & minds, to conform us the better Way of Life He has planned for us... & it really is a life long process, including repentance; as God "prunes" away parts of our lives that aren't His Will & Purpose...
    but sadly; we fail at times to follow His lead & fall into sin... as in a smoking addiction (or any other) that feels like an affliction or infirmity; because it can be so controlling...
    although you're right about it being self inflicted because we're allowing the addiction to control us... instead of aggressively fighting against it, because it can be a major battle...

& relating to other posters on this board; our friends & family can be adversely effected by our withdrawal symptoms so they need just as much prayer as we do, in coping with that struggle, you know?

Blog Entries

I quit dipping DOZENS of times- AT LEAST. I just hope the last time I quit was just that- the LAST time I quit. Many times I relapsed after months of not dipping.

The thing to do is, if you're quitting one thing, like smoking, ask yourself: Is there ANYTHING ELSE I need to quit?

I appeal again for prayer on this issue.

I have tried time and again to quit. The health consequences are getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdforjesus View Post

Try the e-cig. It has worked for many.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdforjesus View Post

Snus will help a lot. Many have stop smoking by Snusing, I snus myself.

Blog Entries

I just want to say thank you to those who have been praying. Haven't touched a cigarette since a couple days after Christmas after a bout with the flu. I tried to smoke again (can we say, stupid?) but found the taste so revolting that I had to put out the cigarette after a couple drags. Switched to e-cigs instead and so far, so good; a step in the right direction I suppose. It helps with the nicotine cravings and gives a "feel" of "smoking".

nerdforjesus, I'm still praying for you. Hang in there and don't quit working/praying towards your goal. God is able.

Blog Entries

YAY DANI!!!!!
    IF you pick up another cigarette - just saying if - it helped me to have a fully charged e-cig there and to take the puff off the real cig and then a puff off the e-cig, to really see that it did not feel or taste different but that I had only convinced myself it did.
    (This only worked with the 21st century brand for me. The others I tried DID actually taste different.)

YAY DANI!

nerdforJesus - I will pray too.

Thread Information