Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Called to Quit Smoking

Called to Quit Smoking

Hi,

I am a Christian who has been called to stop smoking. I know many Christians struggle with this and there is controversy over the issue. For me, and me alone, the Lord has made crystal clear, my time to stop smoking is now.

How do I know? Well, when I am smoking, I have lower back pain, upper back pain, and a stiff neck. Sleeping in bed at night gives me back pain and my whole body is stiff. I take over the counter pain medication and this gives me temporary relief. When I quit for a day or two, the pain all but disappears.

There are now signs that the pain medication itself is causing more trouble than it is worth.

I am now on the second day and have stopped taking pain medication.

I am using Nicorettes as a nicotine substitute. I have tried Champax and Zyban previously but they both have side effects for me that make them not viable.

When the urge to smoke comes I am defenseless as a small child. All my resolutions go out the window and I cave in.

I feel the prescense of the Holy Spirit when I am stopped. I feel so good, and I pray to God that I can just keep this forever, that I can stay stopped. Yet I am not delivered.

I become super-sensitive to the needs of others, I also become inspired about the testimony which I can write. The enemy uses both of these against me, I find that I start beating myself up terribly about perhaps an inconsiderate word I might have said to another, or about some inaction in my life. When I am smoking, I am much less considerate to those around me. Then when I stop, it suddenly hits me like a ton of bricks, that I have been unloving. The enemy will then say to me, I face certain judgement. I may find myself unable to sleep, all night.

I used to use substances (drugs) over a year ago. I have been delivered from the urge to use, but while I was using I opened up gateways, in the form of telepathic communication with spirits. Since then, I became aware that these spirits were demonic. When I quit smoking, the communication closes up. When I relapse and smoke cigarettes again, the channel opens ever wider again, the enemy points out that I am in rebellion, and I am mocked almost to distraction.

It doesn't matter how serious the consequences of smoking cigarettes is, this doesn't help me to stay stopped. I am aware that I am dealing with an incredibly hard addiction to overcome. I need God's help more than anything. I feel that I am in captivity, and I am waiting on the Lord, to deliver me.

Well, that is a long story, made short. Has anyone had similar experiences?

I would appreciate your prayers. I am hoping this time, I am delivered.

Neil

Re: Called to Quit Smoking

It took me a while to stop smoking, which I did because I did not like the effects on my lungs. recently i have entirely replaced old style cigarrettes with a new e-cig thing. They are not as bad for your lungs as cigarrettes and do not have all the toxins. They are a healthier alternative in getting nicotene and unlike patches and things like that they also mimic the oral and inhalation habit.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
    -R.A. Heinlein

Hi Neil - Fabulous to hear that you took the first steps at overcoming the addiction.
    Smoking is just SO POINTLESS. You would be ruining your own health, fag by fag, all the while greedy corporations are taking your money and spending it on research to work out how to get others hooked too... While the state are taking a ginormous cut in taxes and stuffing its pockets off your enslavement to the nicotine instead of helping! Stuff both of them, right! It is stupid beyond words, but as weak sinners we are drawn in to this vice through peer pressure and devilish commercials. It's finally time for you to leave all of this behind!!

Thank God that He gave you the inspiration and push to stop smoking through the symptoms you describe. Thank Him that He will continue to support you through this challenge.
    Ask Jesus to reduce any withdrawal symptoms you experience and the Holy Spirit to fill you with other positive feelings as you go through this process.

You can do it! Be strong! You already beaten one addiction by the sound of it - one more and your body is YOURS once again. Hang in there brother!!!

Love in Christ

Johanna

And quitting smoking is rather easy. I've done it damn near a dozen times.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
    -R.A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by adampjr View Post
    LOL. Then you feel my pain.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdforjesus View Post
    Hi,

I am a Christian who has been called to stop smoking. I know many Christians struggle with this and there is controversy over the issue. For me, and me alone, the Lord has made crystal clear, my time to stop smoking is now.

How do I know? Well, when I am smoking, I have lower back pain, upper back pain, and a stiff neck. Sleeping in bed at night gives me back pain and my whole body is stiff. I take over the counter pain medication and this gives me temporary relief. When I quit for a day or two, the pain all but disappears.

There are now signs that the pain medication itself is causing more trouble than it is worth.

I am now on the second day and have stopped taking pain medication.

I am using Nicorettes as a nicotine substitute. I have tried Champax and Zyban previously but they both have side effects for me that make them not viable.

When the urge to smoke comes I am defenseless as a small child. All my resolutions go out the window and I cave in.

I feel the prescense of the Holy Spirit when I am stopped. I feel so good, and I pray to God that I can just keep this forever, that I can stay stopped. Yet I am not delivered

I become super-sensitive to the needs of others, I also become inspired about the testimony which I can write. The enemy uses both of these against me, I find that I start beating myself up terribly about perhaps an inconsiderate word I might have said to another, or about some inaction in my life. When I am smoking, I am much less considerate to those around me. Then when I stop, it suddenly hits me like a ton of bricks, that I have been unloving. The enemy will then say to me, I face certain judgement. I may find myself unable to sleep, all night.

I used to use substances (drugs) over a year ago. I have been delivered from the urge to use, but while I was using I opened up gateways, in the form of telepathic communication with spirits. Since then, I became aware that these spirits were demonic. When I quit smoking, the communication closes up. When I relapse and smoke cigarettes again, the channel opens ever wider again, the enemy points out that I am in rebellion, and I am mocked almost to distraction.

It doesn't matter how serious the consequences of smoking cigarettes is, this doesn't help me to stay stopped. I am aware that I am dealing with an incredibly hard addiction to overcome. I need God's help more than anything. I feel that I am in captivity, and I am waiting on the Lord, to deliver me.

Well, that is a long story, made short. Has anyone had similar experiences?

I would appreciate your prayers. I am hoping this time, I am delivered

Neil
    I can very much relate to a lot of what you're going through... indeed it is; one of the hardest struggles I've ever had...
    you're also right about the controversy around it, in the Christian community... most of the ridicule I've faced over the years was from non-smokers, who could not relate to how controlling that addiction can be... & there were a few ex-smokers, who implied it was easy for them; saying stuff like "just put 'em down"... which only made me feel weaker, by comparison...
    but one lady (who'd finally quit after over 30 years) referred me to the Scriptures... while encouraging me to keep trying to quit, she also advised me to stop beating myself up so much about that weakness...
    reminding me of several passages, where the Apostle Paul describes the struggles between flesh & Spirit...
    although it doesn't specify exactly what his "thorn of the flesh" was... I can totally relate to his pleading with the Lord to be delivered...

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
    8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
    9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    {2 Corinthians 12 NKJV}

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adampjr View Post
    What he said. Yes I feel your pain, and I'm rooting for you!!

The trick is to find another coping mechanism. Because it's the mental addiction, not the physical one, that is hardest to break. From personal experience. Laying the smokes down is easy. Not picking them up again when stress and want present themselves ... that's the challenge.

Just don't quit trying to quit. If you fall, get back up again. Just keep trying, keep going, keep moving forward.

And one day, I will join you. I already know that my day is coming too. So ... I'm praying for you!

Hi

Yes this scripture is very appropriate for me, one verse back, as well:

For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth.

When I have quit, I cannot claim the victory alone; I am powerless to quit on my own, on my own strength, using any means whatsoever; nicotine substitutes do not work, I drop them by the way side; health consequences, lectures from others, and fears over consequences, here and in the here-after, fall on deaf ears.

So I have pleaded with the Lord, as well, many more than 3 times, to have been delivered from this affliction. How can I shoot myself in the foot, call myself a sane individual? Yet I will smoke, this is truly captivity. Others, even those who are smoking, will laugh, at my powerlessness. I cease to take myself seriously.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 3:5-7 View Post
    I can very much relate to a lot of what you're going through... indeed it is; one of the hardest struggles I've ever had...
    you're also right about the controversy around it, in the Christian community... most of the ridicule I've faced over the years was from non-smokers, who could not relate to how controlling that addiction can be... & there were a few ex-smokers, who implied it was easy for them; saying stuff like "just put 'em down"... which only made me feel weaker, by comparison...
    but one lady (who'd finally quit after over 30 years) referred me to the Scriptures... while encouraging me to keep trying to quit, she also advised me to stop beating myself up so much about that weakness...
    reminding me of several passages, where the Apostle Paul describes the struggles between flesh & Spirit...
    although it doesn't specify exactly what his "thorn of the flesh" was... I can totally relate to his pleading with the Lord to be delivered...

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
    8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
    9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    {2 Corinthians 12 NKJV}

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Smoking is just SO POINTLESS.
    So true, one can carry on with the ridiculousness of it for a long time. A habit which I hate, every single draw on a cigarette, zero enjoyment, ruining one's life, etc, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post

You can do it! Be strong! You already beaten one addiction by the sound of it - one more and your body is YOURS once again. Hang in there brother!!!

Love in Christ

Johanna
    Thanks Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post

And one day, I will join you. I already know that my day is coming too. So ... I'm praying for you!
    Thanks Dani, I'm going ahead to clear the way !

Quote Originally Posted by nerdforjesus View Post
    Hi

Yes this scripture is very appropriate for me, one verse back, as well:

For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth.

When I have quit, I cannot claim the victory alone; I am powerless to quit on my own, on my own strength, using any means whatsoever; nicotine substitutes do not work, I drop them by the way side; health consequences, lectures from others, and fears over consequences, here and in the here-after, fall on deaf ears.

So I have pleaded with the Lord, as well, many more than 3 times, to have been delivered from this affliction. How can I shoot myself in the foot, call myself a sane individual? Yet I will smoke, this is truly captivity. Others, even those who are smoking, will laugh, at my powerlessness. I cease to take myself seriously.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
    to this!... speaking the Truth & not boasting in our own efforts & giving God the Glory for the victory!...
    with your points, demonstrating the humility to admit to how difficult the struggle has been...
    whenever I quit, I hope to maintain the humility to remember that & be compassionate...
    & never become condescending towards others who may still be struggling with it, you know?

as we fervently pray for Christ's strength to be manifested in all our weaknesses...
    I'm grateful that He's already delivered me from several other carnal vices, over the years...
    & learning through praying His Word & standing on It's promises, no matter how long it takes...

even Christ Himself, successfully rebuked the Adversary's temptations over & over again; with "It is Written..."
    indeed is a very powerful weapon against the enemy

The reason you feel terrible is from the 4,000 chemicals inside those cigarettes. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago with the e-cig and never looked back. Nicotine isn't bad for you, it's found in nature and in a lot of foods that we eat. It's the poisons in the cigarettes that are hurting you. There is a lot of information online about e-cigs and some forums with people that will go out of their way to help you and guide you to the right equipment that will suit your needs. I am down to 6mg of nicotine now and started out with 24mg. I have no intentions on quitting the nicotine completely because it is not harming me, it's like coffee to me, just got to have it! lol!

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia when I was a smoker and it mysteriously disappeared after I quit.

If and when you do quit completely, let's say with the e-cig. Even though you still get nicotine, your body will go through poison withdrawal. It's not fun but must be done.

Hi Neman

Thank you for your post.

Nicotine and caffeine are poisons. "One is too many and a thousand never enough." When I smoke cigarettes my back goes into spasm and I can hardly walk. When I quit, I almost immediately delivered from the pain.

I had a familiar spirit, and was told "secrets" which were actually blasphemies against the Holy Spirit. I was told about how God originated, about the infinite void and everything, and how "life began". This spirit - it was a female - told me she was god. These were all blasphemies designed to be used against me when I was saved, so that the enemy could say to me, you are condemned and destined for hell. He says to me, you may as well smoke. Look at how many times you have failed.

When I quit smoking - I just did it for 5 days but gave in today - their lies are exposed and I become the target of major attacks in the spirit world (I feel the hand of God on me, helping me.) Now what happened, is that my brother's girlfriend (I am staying with my brother, and it is possibly only my insecurity) became very upset with me. Funny this only happens when I quit. I became insecure, worried about my future, and scared I would land up on the streets. Fear is from the devil. Also when I quit, I can't sleep (the attacks are strong), and because of my history with drug abuse, I become petrified people will think I am using. Last night set off our alarm by mistake by supposedly pressing the panic button (this had happened before, when the keys were underneath a blanket) - this time, the keys were securely in a draw, there was no way whatsoever I could have pressed the panic button, yet the alarm went off and my brother said to me from his house, "Are you setting off the alarm again?" Making me look like a complete fool, and perhaps as if I am drugs. An attack straight from the enemy, without question. I woke up so insecure and worried, after having taken something to help me sleep last night, that I went off and bought some cigarettes.

I cannot smoke anymore, this is a life and death struggle. I appeal to anyone, anyone, when you read this, go down in prayer and supplication to the Lord, and pray that I will be delivered from smoking. There are about 10 people around me, watching closely, to see if I am successful with smoking, and this will be a great testimony to the Lord. Previously when I quit smoking for 6 months, shortly after being saved, another believer quit smoking, for good, based on my testimony. That is how powerful this is, the enemy hates to see me being successful because I am helping take recruits from underneath his nose.

If I smoke, all my money goes on cigarettes, and I can't even buy myself a pair of shoes (well finally now recently I did, after the 5 days). Who knows, there is so much fear and uncertainty around my using, maybe people think I am using all my money to buy drugs. Heaven knows I am not, but nicotine is a drug. I need to quit smoking, so that I can deliver according to the promises and the potential that my brother has given me, a soul who is kind beyond belief, he saved me from abject poverty.

Matthew 19:26 "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

I have felt the power of prayer. I ask for those who are strong in prayer, to pray for me, my name is Neil. "James 5:16 The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much".

Best,

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by nemam View Post
    The reason you feel terrible is from the 4,000 chemicals inside those cigarettes. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago with the e-cig and never looked back. Nicotine isn't bad for you, it's found in nature and in a lot of foods that we eat. It's the poisons in the cigarettes that are hurting you. There is a lot of information online about e-cigs and some forums with people that will go out of their way to help you and guide you to the right equipment that will suit your needs. I am down to 6mg of nicotine now and started out with 24mg. I have no intentions on quitting the nicotine completely because it is not harming me, it's like coffee to me, just got to have it! lol!

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia when I was a smoker and it mysteriously disappeared after I quit.

If and when you do quit completely, let's say with the e-cig. Even though you still get nicotine, your body will go through poison withdrawal. It's not fun but must be done.

I'm praying for the Lord's help! Please keep us posted with your progress! Perhaps the Lord will use your story to encourage many others!
    Psalm 19:14
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Thanks Andrew!!

Thread Information