Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Called to Quit Smoking

Re: Called to Quit Smoking

Yes Dani congrats!

Thank you for everyone's prayers. I know that God will give me the victory soon.

Dear Brother,

I see there are tons of replies, so I doubt I can offer anything additional that is useful.

There is a book called Way of the Pilgrim that describes the travels of an un-named religious pilgrim all over Russia in the 19th century. Along the way he meets a former army officer who suffered from alcoholism. The officer told him that he finally conquered his addiction by reading a chapter of the Gospels whenever he felt the urge to drink.

I have tried this personally to combat my own addictions and have found it very helpful to the extent I am trusting in God and not myself.

With regard to the demons, I believe you. I had a debate with someone on this site over the original interpretation of the Greek words in the Lord's Prayer as it appears in Matthew. Although we all say "... deliver us from evil," the Greek actually says "... deliver us from the evil one." I would not attribute much to the voices though. When I have talked to different spiritual guides in my Church about this they almost always give me the advice to ignore them and turn to Christ, often with a short prayer to shift our mind back to God, such as, "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me." Perhaps in a strange way your experience is a blessing, because it is so obvious that the influence is demonic. So many of us go through life blind to the devil, maybe even doubting his existence.

Perhaps this Psalm would also be helpful. It is Psalm 90 in the Septuagint, 91 in the Masoretic text. I am quoting from the Septuagint:

He that dwelleth in the help of the Most High shall abide in the shelter of the God of heaven. He shall say unto the Lord: Thou art my helper and my refuge. He is my God, and I will hope in Him. For He shall deliver thee from the snare of the hunters and from every troubling word. With His shoulders will He overshadow thee, and under His wings shalt thou have hope. With a shield will His truth encompass thee; thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night, nor for the arrow that flieth by day, Nor for the thing that walketh in darkness, nor for the mishap and demon of noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand, but unto thee shall it not come nigh. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold, and thou shalt see the reward of sinners. For Thou, O Lord, art my hope. Thou madest the Most High thy refuge; No evils shall come nigh thee, and no scourge shall draw nigh unto thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. On their hands shall they bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Upon the asp and basilisk shalt thou tread, and thou shalt trample upon the lion and dragon. For he hath set his hope on Me, and I will deliver him; I will shelter him because he hath known My name. He shall cry unto Me, and I will hearken unto him. I am with him in affliction, and I will rescue him and glorify him. With length of days will I satisfy him, and I will show him My salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdforjesus View Post
    Hi,

I am a Christian who has been called to stop smoking. I know many Christians struggle with this and there is controversy over the issue. For me, and me alone, the Lord has made crystal clear, my time to stop smoking is now.

How do I know? Well, when I am smoking, I have lower back pain, upper back pain, and a stiff neck. Sleeping in bed at night gives me back pain and my whole body is stiff. I take over the counter pain medication and this gives me temporary relief. When I quit for a day or two, the pain all but disappears.

There are now signs that the pain medication itself is causing more trouble than it is worth.

I am now on the second day and have stopped taking pain medication.

I am using Nicorettes as a nicotine substitute. I have tried Champax and Zyban previously but they both have side effects for me that make them not viable.

When the urge to smoke comes I am defenseless as a small child. All my resolutions go out the window and I cave in.

I feel the prescense of the Holy Spirit when I am stopped. I feel so good, and I pray to God that I can just keep this forever, that I can stay stopped. Yet I am not delivered.

I become super-sensitive to the needs of others, I also become inspired about the testimony which I can write. The enemy uses both of these against me, I find that I start beating myself up terribly about perhaps an inconsiderate word I might have said to another, or about some inaction in my life. When I am smoking, I am much less considerate to those around me. Then when I stop, it suddenly hits me like a ton of bricks, that I have been unloving. The enemy will then say to me, I face certain judgement. I may find myself unable to sleep, all night.

I used to use substances (drugs) over a year ago. I have been delivered from the urge to use, but while I was using I opened up gateways, in the form of telepathic communication with spirits. Since then, I became aware that these spirits were demonic. When I quit smoking, the communication closes up. When I relapse and smoke cigarettes again, the channel opens ever wider again, the enemy points out that I am in rebellion, and I am mocked almost to distraction.

It doesn't matter how serious the consequences of smoking cigarettes is, this doesn't help me to stay stopped. I am aware that I am dealing with an incredibly hard addiction to overcome. I need God's help more than anything. I feel that I am in captivity, and I am waiting on the Lord, to deliver me.

Well, that is a long story, made short. Has anyone had similar experiences?

I would appreciate your prayers. I am hoping this time, I am delivered.

Neil

Neil, all I can say is God's providence and blessing just blew me away. He's been gently nudging me on my smoking lately to give them over to Him literally and half an hour ago I happened upon your thread sharing your struggle. What confirmation! Thank you, Father!!!

When I was in my late teens, I started smoking for the first time. I smoked a pack a day until in 1991ish, on request of my wife, I quit cold turkey and stayed quit with no cravings at all. I started again in 2007 and have smoked a pack a day since then, even up to today. Recently, the past few months, I've come to the point in my walk with Christ that I've been wanting to start tithing to my church, but I'm a little fearful that something will come up that we won't be able to pay for. Car repairs, house repairs, and really the list could be anything and everything. I know that is the fear that has kept me from trusting. For the past couple weeks He's been saying "It's OK. Just give what you don't spend on smokes and I will bless what you give and bless your sacrifice and help you." Oh LORD You are SO merciful!!! Wow, my eyes are leaking here. When I quit, it will be truly given to the Lord who provides. I expect the times that I would spend smoking must be transformed into things that glorify Him. I was in the US Air Force for 22 years, so I'm OK with push ups, situps and things like that, but I know that I'll be truly giving them to Him and for His glory in a very real and palpable way.

I hope, no I pray, I've given something you and others reading this thread can use, Neil. Praise God for His goodness endures forever!!
    Last edited by Thomas Forward; Mar 18th 2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_no_one View Post
    I'm praying for the Lord's help! Please keep us posted with your progress! Perhaps the Lord will use your story to encourage many others!
    I smoked like a chimney for 24 years. I quit once for about 5 months and other times for a day or a week. But I loved the taste and it settled my nerves and made me eat less and gave me a heart attack at age 54. It happened on July 17, 2010, and I have never smoked again. I wore a patch in hospital for a few days and after the bypass I went cold turkey. I thought I was going to go nuts. It would hit me in waves, baby. And I would grab a big pack of gum and wad it all into my mouth. It took about a year for me to quit having to do that. And now I'm free! Sure, when things go wrong I get a slight urge to light up, but I tell it to stand down, and it does. It is so good not to have a crutch. To God be the glory for ever and ever.

If I can do it anybody can.
    Here for a season, then above.

Quit date: 2013/04/09

I wanted to come back to this group and thank everyone who prayed for me. I quit smoking over a year ago.

Anyone reading this who needs encouragement, I would like to encourage you to press on.

I didn't think it would be possible for me to quit. I had gone beyond the state of hopeless. I was like a swimmer drowning, coming up for air, but losing the battle.

When I would smoke, my heart would race, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. My thoughts would get faster as well, and it was living in a nightmare, that was only getting worse. This only made me smoke more, to try and reassure myself. Of course, this again made it worse.

There was no way out of this cycle for me. I tried many times to stop, and failed over and over again. I once got a week or two, but soon even this seemed like a distant dream.

I kept on getting down on my knees and praying for deliverance. Every time I went to the bathroom at work, I would get down on my knees.

I want to tell you , if you're in the same position, it seems like help is never going to come. Don't expect it in 1 hour or 1 day or even 1 week. Remember, in God's time.

So it was with me. It was like chalk and cheese. One day I was completely hopeless, I couldn't go even 1 minute without another cigarette, then the next, I was doing it. It reminded me of Jesus walking on the water. I couldn't explain why or how I wasn't smoking, I just wasn't.

Now, I have absolutely no doubt, that this was Jesus. I had to wait my turn - I had to go through the misery, I had to go through the nightmare, I had to keep on asking and not give up, however long it took.

Today I know that we serve a living God. Jesus is alive. He demonstrated it beyond reasonable doubt. When Jesus was ready, He delivered me.

I can't say that my faith delivered me. My faith was very small indeed. The only faith I had, was to keep on asking , and to keep on praying.

Then there was divine intervention in my life.

I took a few small steps, and hung in there, and waited.

Jesus did the rest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by adampjr View Post
    It took me a while to stop smoking, which I did because I did not like the effects on my lungs. recently i have entirely replaced old style cigarrettes with a new e-cig thing. They are not as bad for your lungs as cigarrettes and do not have all the toxins. They are a healthier alternative in getting nicotene and unlike patches and things like that they also mimic the oral and inhalation habit.
    Those e-cigarettes seem to be getting really popular. I deliver mail to a Vapor Up store that sells e-cigarettes and I also deliver mail to a 7th Heaven that sells them as well. There are three people at the Post Office where I work who have recently switched over to e-cigarettes. They really seem to like them.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Blog Entries

I'm glad to see so many people quitting the cancer sticks. I quit smoking them around 9 or 10 years ago.

I can't really credit myself though. I was sitting at my desk at work and decided to go outside to have a smoke. I opened the drawer I kept them in grabbed out a pack and just then started coughing my head off. It felt as if my lungs were going to come right up out of my throat and after the coughing fit passed I sat back and realized that I had been waking up coughing for a couple of years and then having little fits throughout the day.
    I looked down at that pack of cigs in my hand and said out loud "I'm killing myself with these things." Right then and there I bowed my head, asked God to deliver me from them, crushed up the pack of smokes and threw them in the trash can.
    I craved them for about three weeks or so but after that I was fine and I've never smoked a cigarette ( or a cigar or pipe etc etc ) since that day. I truly believe that God heard my prayer and that He was and is my strength to resist temptation.
    Oh, come, all ye faithful,
    Joyful and triumphant.

O come, let us adore Him Christ the Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Those e-cigarettes seem to be getting really popular. I deliver mail to a Vapor Up store that sells e-cigarettes and I also deliver mail to a 7th Heaven that sells them as well. There are three people at the Post Office where I work who have recently switched over to e-cigarettes. They really seem to like them.
    I see e-cigs a lot. I use them once in a while but my favorite thing is SNUS

Hi. I am in this same situation, only for me it really is life or death. I have acute COPD- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease-basically Emphysema and chronic bronchitis. It's a progressive disease and there is no (earthly) cure. I was diagnosed 11 yrs ago, and now I am only capable of using the bottom third of my lungs. And yet I smoke.. I started using a Vapor e-cig a year and a half ago and thought I had finally found a miracle!!! I hate to inform you all, I was VERY wrong!!! Those things made me so bad, I had to be on oxygen 24/7, and couldn't walk 5 feet to my bathroom!!! Think about something; (if you use refillable ones, if not, it's already inside) The liquid you fill them with is OIL, feel it. Now, ask yourselves how oil can possibly turn into WATER vapor. (Cook something in oil on your stove, when you see/feel what is above on the hood, is it water?? I wish! No more scrubbing grease off!) what you are putting in your lungs is OIL!!! You may not feel it now, unless you have a lung problem. But you will one day!! Ok just wanted all those using them to stop and think!

So, needless to say, I'm back on cigarettes!! I've struggled, put them down, prayed for help, gone to the alter and swore I surrendered them to God, tried weaning off, (and you name things to help, I've tried it!! From patches and pills, to hypnosis!!) I always relapse!!! I have no willpower!! So I'm asking for prayers that God WILL help me before I kill myself with them!! I was a drug addict for almost 27 years of my life, no clean 18 yrs!! And that was a BREEZE compared to cigarettes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJforJesus View Post
    So, needless to say, I'm back on cigarettes!! I've struggled, put them down, prayed for help, gone to the alter and swore I surrendered them to God, tried weaning off, (and you name things to help, I've tried it!! From patches and pills, to hypnosis!!) I always relapse!!! I have no willpower!! So I'm asking for prayers that God WILL help me before I kill myself with them!! I was a drug addict for almost 27 years of my life, no clean 18 yrs!! And that was a BREEZE compared to cigarettes!!!
    Apologies for only posting a reply 2 years later! I haven't been monitoring the posts on this forum.

Did you make any progress with quitting smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by CJforJesus View Post
    Kaiser Permanente, a health coverage plan, had evening classes for people who wanted to quit smoking.

They first teach about the way nicotine works. It is the most wonderful tranquilizer of any discovered--the negative is that the tranquilizing effects last only minutes. Then the body transforms it into a drug that causes nervousness, and the only way to stop this effect is to get more of the minutes of tranquilizer. It is similar to how opium works.

This makes nicotine seem like the best friend you have. It is always available night and day to calm you down. When it gives this much comfort it is hard to realize it is a killer, not a friend. Saying goodbye can be painful.

For the first two weeks after you finally say goodbye, only the nerves and uneasiness will be there. Your body has to rid itself of the poison. You need to warn those around you that you are not yourself for awhile.

Once the poison is gone, fill your mind and heart with the comfort of the Lord with His word. One man memorized the 119th Psalm, learning to let the word of the Lord direct his actions.

Thread Information