cure-real
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are the ten commandments still in full force today?

Are the ten commandments still in full force today?

Did Christ come as a mediator of a New Covenant abolishing God's Law?
    What does Galatians 2:16 mean when it says " For by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified"
    Some say that the Law was " nailed to the cross " and we are now saved by grace.
    As far as the ten commandments are concerned which ones can we ignore as if they were not in effect anymore? Or is that not the case, and we are required as true Christians to keep the original ten commandments that were given to Moses on Mt. Sinai?
    What say you?

Re: Are the ten commandments still in full force today?

Only commandment I think matters now is

And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Deuteronomy 6:5
    I'm a walking paradox, No I'm not.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein

"rest assured, that with a heart that's pure, we'll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us" - Stick to Your Guns

Blog Entries

That's a can and a half of worms. The short answer is no, but the Decalogue (along with the rest of the Law) still reflects the character of God, and the Holy Spirit will convict the conscience of the Christian who behaves contrary to His character. "In force" frames the question in legal terms rather than relationship-oriented terms: "How much can I get away with?" rather than "How can I please the lover of my soul?"

I think Servant89 provided a very interesting list of New Testament restatements of the Ten Commandments. (Anyone remember Servant89? Dunno what happened to him.) Here it is:

Commandment # 1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Mark 12:29,32; Rom 3:30; 1The 1:9; 1Cor 8:4,6; Gal 3:20; Eph 4:6; 1Tim 2:5; James 2:19. Love the Lord your God (Mat 22:39; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; 2Ti 3:4; Luke 11:42).

Commandment # 2: Stay away from idols. Acts 15:20,29; Eph 5:5; 1Cor 5:11; 1Th 1:9; Acts 17:16; Acts 21:25; 1Cor 6:9; 1Pe 4:3-4; 1Cor 10:7,14; 1John 5:21; Rev 2:14,20; Rev 9:20; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 3: Do not take the name of the Lord in vain. Rom 2:24; 1Tim 6:1; Rev 16:9; Rev 13:6; Mat 12:31; Rev 16:9; James 2:7.

Commandment # 4: NOT ONE VERSE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Commadment # 5: Honor your father and mother. Rom 1:30; 2Tim 3:2; Mat 19:19; Luke 18:20; Mat 15:4; Mark 10:19; Eph 6:2; Mark 7:10.

Commandment # 6: Do not kill. Mark 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; Rom 1:29; Gal 5:21; 1Tim 1:9; 1Pe 4:15; 1John 3:15; Rev 9:21; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commadment # 7: Do not comit adultery. Mar 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 16:18; Luke 18:20; Heb 13:4; Mat 5:27; Gal 5:19; Mat 15:19-20; Mark 7:121; Mark 10:11-12; Rom 13:9; 1Cor 6:9.

Commandment # 8: Do not steal. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; Rom 2:21; 1Cor 6:9-10; Eph 4:28; 1Pe 4:15.

Commandment # 9. Do not lie. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; John 8:44; Acts 5:3; Col 3:9; Rev 21:27; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 10. Do not covet. Eph 5:3,5; Mark 7:22-23; 2Pe 2:14; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; Luke 12:15; 1Cor 5:11; 1Tim 6:10; 1Tim 3:2; Rom 1:29; Rom 7:7; Col 3:5-6.

Under the Milky Way where the wild mustangs play

Nice list. I think it is still necessary for our understanding of what God calls sin. As written in Romans-

Rom 7:6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.
    Rom 7:7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet."

Rom 7:12 So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.
    Rom 7:13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure.
    Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.

A guide to what is sin in God's eyes. When we are born we are under the law....it's curse and sentence of death. It is our teacher and jail warden. Then....Jesus.
    Not to be discarded. Now, it pertains to wisdom and discernment. And gratitude on my part because I could never keep this 'law' perfectly. Jesus did it for me. Amen and amen. Peace, Berean11

The Law of Moses was to achieve three goals;
    1. Show God's unalterable righteous nature
    2. Have a people on earth that lived by this principle of unbending righteousness as a testimony of the living God
    3. To equip a people on this earth for a Holy God to dwell WITH them without being offended

In Christ the following were achieved;
    1. God's unbending and unalterable righteousness is shown in the awful punishment which landed on our Lord Jesus
    2. Christ's faultless and flawless keeping of the Law is imputed to men who believe in, and confess, Him
    3. God now dwells IN the Christian and the flesh is counted to have been crucified with Christ

Thus the totality of the Law, including the Ten Commandments, is void for the Christian. However, the Christian is subject to another Law - the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Rom.8:2). This Law is the inward working and conviction of the Holy Spirit of God's intrinsic nature, and will prompt the Christian to live a life according to Christ's nature. The many verses above in that excellent list from little watchman testify to the nature of Christ. The Holy Spirit does not exact retribution for disobedience immediately like the Law of Moses, but discipline will be forthcoming, and an account of disobedience before the judgment seat of Christ will bring a terrible loss to the disobedient Christian in the next age. God's justice on breaking the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus is not done away with as some Christians think. It is only deferred.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by God's legacy View Post
    Did Christ come as a mediator of a New Covenant abolishing God's Law?
    What does Galatians 2:16 mean when it says " For by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified"
    Some say that the Law was " nailed to the cross " and we are now saved by grace.
    As far as the ten commandments are concerned which ones can we ignore as if they were not in effect anymore? Or is that not the case, and we are required as true Christians to keep the original ten commandments that were given to Moses on Mt. Sinai?
    What say you?
    Your questions in order as presented:

Yes

Gal. 2:16 indicates, as do other scriptures, that we cannot be justified by the old law, because Christ nailed it to the cross. (COL 2:14).

Correct

The only commandment that was not carried over to the law of Christ was the command to observe the sabbath.
    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness : That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. II Tim. 3:16,17.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    Your questions in order as presented:

Yes

Gal. 2:16 indicates, as do other scriptures, that we cannot be justified by the old law, because Christ nailed it to the cross. (COL 2:14).

Correct

The only commandment that was not carried over to the law of Christ was the command to observe the sabbath.
    True, as far as the 7fth day of the week being the sabbath. We are told that the day we select is not important.

Quote Originally Posted by little watchman View Post
    That's a can and a half of worms. The short answer is no, but the Decalogue (along with the rest of the Law) still reflects the character of God, and the Holy Spirit will convict the conscience of the Christian who behaves contrary to His character. "In force" frames the question in legal terms rather than relationship-oriented terms: "How much can I get away with?" rather than "How can I please the lover of my soul?"

I think Servant89 provided a very interesting list of New Testament restatements of the Ten Commandments. (Anyone remember Servant89? Dunno what happened to him.) Here it is:

Commandment # 1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Mark 12:29,32; Rom 3:30; 1The 1:9; 1Cor 8:4,6; Gal 3:20; Eph 4:6; 1Tim 2:5; James 2:19. Love the Lord your God (Mat 22:39; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; 2Ti 3:4; Luke 11:42).

Commandment # 2: Stay away from idols. Acts 15:20,29; Eph 5:5; 1Cor 5:11; 1Th 1:9; Acts 17:16; Acts 21:25; 1Cor 6:9; 1Pe 4:3-4; 1Cor 10:7,14; 1John 5:21; Rev 2:14,20; Rev 9:20; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 3: Do not take the name of the Lord in vain. Rom 2:24; 1Tim 6:1; Rev 16:9; Rev 13:6; Mat 12:31; Rev 16:9; James 2:7.

Commandment # 4: NOT ONE VERSE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Commadment # 5: Honor your father and mother. Rom 1:30; 2Tim 3:2; Mat 19:19; Luke 18:20; Mat 15:4; Mark 10:19; Eph 6:2; Mark 7:10.

Commandment # 6: Do not kill. Mark 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; Rom 1:29; Gal 5:21; 1Tim 1:9; 1Pe 4:15; 1John 3:15; Rev 9:21; Rev 21:8; Rev 22:15.

Commadment # 7: Do not comit adultery. Mar 10:19; Mat 19:18; Luke 16:18; Luke 18:20; Heb 13:4; Mat 5:27; Gal 5:19; Mat 15:19-20; Mark 7:121; Mark 10:11-12; Rom 13:9; 1Cor 6:9.

Commandment # 8: Do not steal. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; Rom 2:21; 1Cor 6:9-10; Eph 4:28; 1Pe 4:15.

Commandment # 9. Do not lie. Mat 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Rom 13:9; John 8:44; Acts 5:3; Col 3:9; Rev 21:27; Rev 22:15.

Commandment # 10. Do not covet. Eph 5:3,5; Mark 7:22-23; 2Pe 2:14; 1Cor 6:9; Rom 13:9; Luke 12:15; 1Cor 5:11; 1Tim 6:10; 1Tim 3:2; Rom 1:29; Rom 7:7; Col 3:5-6.
    Re: Commandment # 4- In Hebrews 4:8-11 is Paul not talking about the seventh day Sabbath-rest and our responsibility not to disobey.it?
    Wasn't it Jesus's practice to keep the Sabbath and to attend services on that day - Luke 4:16
    Didn't Paul personally keep the Sabbaths - Acts 17:2
    Didn't Paul teach the gentiles to keep the Sabbath also - Acts 13:42-44
    Jesus said in Matt 19:17-" If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
    When was the 4th commandment deleted, if that is the case?
    When Jesus said I give you a new commandment(or order)to love one another as I have loved you did that replace the 10 commandments even though He said " Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the prophets " Matt 5:17
    And in verse 18-" not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, and in verse 19, we see whoever breaks one of these least commandments shall be called the least in the Kingdom of heaven.
    By what authority in the bible do we think the 4th commandment does not apply today even though early Christians observed it up to 300 years after the death and resurrection of Christ?

Re: Commandment # 4- In Hebrews 4:8-11 is Paul not talking about the seventh day Sabbath-rest and our responsibility not to disobey.it?
    This is talking about the eternal rest promised to the faithful.

Wasn't it Jesus's practice to keep the Sabbath and to attend services on that day - Luke 4:16
    Yes, Jesus lived under the law of Moses.

Paul used the Sabbath day synagogue meetings as an opportunity to preach the gospel.

No.

Jesus said in Matt 19:17-" If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
    Jesus lived under the law of Moses which included the 10 Commandments and a bunch of other commandments.

It was nailed to the cross with the rest of the Law of Moses.

When Jesus said I give you a new commandment(or order)to love one another as I have loved you did that replace the 10 commandments even though He said " Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the prophets " Matt 5:17
    And in verse 18-" not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, and in verse 19, we see whoever breaks one of these least commandments shall be called the least in the Kingdom of heaven.
    Jesus fulfilled the law and nailed it to his cross. Jesus could not be a priest under the law of Moses. It had to be changed Hebrews 7:12

By what authority in the bible do we think the 4th commandment does not apply today even though early Christians observed it up to 300 years after the death and resurrection of Christ?
    By Jesus' authority.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I have time right now to address all of your arguments, which are familiar to me from my time in the Seventh-day Adventist church. The Sabbath is a beautiful thing, a time of rest and refreshment. If you're one of the rare people in the West who works seven days a week, you should pause and consider that you were not designed to work nonstop and you're not trusting God to provide for you by ceasing from your efforts. The Sabbath was the seal of the covenant with Israel given through Moses, and it set Israel apart as the people who could trust God to provide for them, even when they stopped working.

I want to look at Hebrews 4:8-11: For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. There remains therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God. For he who has entered into His rest has himself also rested from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter into that rest, that no one fall according to the same example of disobedience.

Whatever "rest" this is was not provided by Moses, even though Moses received the Law and the Sabbath. This "rest" was instead expected by Israel to be found in the Promised Land, through Joshua. But the children of Israel would not cease from their efforts, saying that they could not take Canaan because it was a land of giants. Joshua spoke of another day of rest, and that day is today: again He designates a certain day...Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts (Heb 4:7). The day of rest has come today to all who rest in Christ, demonstrating faith in him.

Also look at another passage you mentioned, Matthew 19:17: So He said to him, Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments. He said to Him, Which? Jesus said, You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and your mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. No mention of the Sabbath here, so it is doesn't support your case. It probably doesn't support mine, either...

The early Christians did not observe the Sabbath for 300 years, except perhaps Judaising sects. Paul criticized the Judaizers for burdening Gentile believers with Jewish traditions, both because those traditions were consummated in Jesus Christ and because Christ broke down the dividing wall between Jews and Gentiles.

But now, knowing God, or rather being known by God, how is it that you turn again to the feeble and worthless principles, to which you desire again to be in bondage? You observe days and months and seasons and years. I am afraid for you, lest I have labored among you in vain. (Gal 4:9-11)

Here are more thoughts on whether the Sabbath is still required for Christians by Justin Taylor. (And I could reference many other studies on the subject.) http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...or-christians/

Let's take the commandment, "Thou shalt not murder." Paul agrees with the commandment, that we should not murder. However, he points out that a man can't seek justification from God by simply avoiding murder.

The law wasn't nailed to the cross. There was an ordinance in Jerusalem that kept Jews and Gentiles separated. THAT ordinance was nailed to the cross in Christ because Christ unites both Jew and Gentile into a new category of human being, "Christian." We both have access to God through the Holy Spirit.

As far as the ten commandments are concerned which ones can we ignore as if they were not in effect anymore?
    They are still in effect and we can not ignore them.

Or is that not the case, and we are required as true Christians to keep the original ten commandments that were given to Moses on Mt. Sinai?
    While it is true that Moses gave Israel God's Ten Commandments at Mt. Sinai, the moral vision behind these commandments was always true, even before Mt. Sinai. It has always been wrong to murder. There was never a time in history when murder was okay. What Moses did, at the direction of God, was codify God's moral vision into the law of the land for Israel. Many of the nations on earth, even today, continue to give their laws a moral center.

Quote Originally Posted by WITDNM View Post
    This is talking about the eternal rest promised to the faithful.
    Nope, not verse 9... the word is Sabbatismos and means a keeping of the Sabbath.

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Notice in verse 5 Paul refers to the saventh day Sabbath as the rest?

Originally Posted by God's legacy

By Jesus' authority.
    Scripture please. You'll find that cahnge in the council of Nicea 325 AD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    True, as far as the 7fth day of the week being the sabbath. We are told that the day we select is not important.
    Acts 20:7, I Cor. 16-2. They met on the first day of the week.
    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness : That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. II Tim. 3:16,17.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cross View Post
    Acts 20:7, I Cor. 16-2. They met on the first day of the week.
    In Acts 20:7-the first day of the week began at sunset on Saturday evening in the Bible.
    Breaking bread can mean eating a meal together. Paul fellowshipped and preaching until midnight Saturday evening ready to depart on the following morning which would have been Sunday the 1st day of the week daylight time. Paul walked almost 20 miles on that day-it hardly seems appropriate for a day of worship and rest if Sunday was the Lord's day.
    1Cor 16:2 doesn't seem to refer to any religious ceremony just a collection for the travelling saints which was requested earlier to provide for the work.

In Acts 20:7-the first day of the week began at sunset on Saturday evening in the Bible.
    Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

So the bible sates they met on the 1st day, which is a Sunday. But you say they met on the 7th day and departed on the 1st day. Clearly one of those views is incorrect.

Paul fellowshipped and preaching until midnight Saturday evening ready to depart on the following morning which would have been Sunday the 1st day of the week daylight time.
    Actually what occurred is Paul fellowshipped and preached all Sunday and after midnight he went to sleep, ready to depart on the following morning which would have been Monday.

Thread Information