cure-real

Thread: Elijah's fear of Jezebel

Elijah's fear of Jezebel

After probably one of the greatest showdowns in biblical history, it strikes me as odd that the next day Elijah would be so full of fear that he fled to Judea. How could a threat from Jezebel have overwhelmed him after such a successful victory? You would think he would be filled with confidence in the Lord, yet the exact opposite occurred. This story has always puzzled me.

In his depression Elijah, one of the greatest prophets of all time, if not the greatest, was so depressed he prayed to God to end his life...“I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” (1 Kings 19:4). How could someone have so little trust in God when Jezebel threatened him? God had just performed an outright, jaw-dropping, undeniable, superseding-the-laws-of-nature, impressive, verifiable miracle and afterwards, Elijah just cowers to Jezebel? I don't get it.

Re: Elijah's fear of Jezebel

Sometimes people don't make sense. Like Peter being afraid of the waves when he's already walking on water.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndibari View Post
    After probably one of the greatest showdowns in biblical history, it strikes me as odd that the next day Elijah would be so full of fear that he fled to Judea. How could a threat from Jezebel have overwhelmed him after such a successful victory? You would think he would be filled with confidence in the Lord, yet the exact opposite occurred. This story has always puzzled me.

In his depression Elijah, one of the greatest prophets of all time, if not the greatest, was so depressed he prayed to God to end his life...“I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” (1 Kings 19:4). How could someone have so little trust in God when Jezebel threatened him? God had just performed an outright, jaw-dropping, undeniable, superseding-the-laws-of-nature, impressive, verifiable miracle and afterwards, Elijah just cowers to Jezebel? I don't get it.
    The main lesson from this situation afflicting Elijah is to show us that God is ALWAYS moving in ways we don't know and may never know. The lesson helps us overcome "perception" and to know and TRUST in the Lord.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Sometimes people don't make sense. Like Peter being afraid of the waves when he's already walking on water.
    Fair point but at least he had the courage to get out of the boat on stormy waters. Elijah had an amazing amount of courage the day before when he stood alone on Mt. Carmel facing 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of the goddess Asherah. He was outnumbered 950 to 1 yet he had complete trust in God. What happened the next day?

Just like Peter walking with Jesus for all those years. And even whipping out his sword and cutting someone's ear off as they're surround by soldiers. Then becomes a coward when a girl asks him if he was a follower of Jesus. The famous 3 denials after those 3 years of seeing Jesus daily. That's WORSE than Elijah.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Just like Peter walking with Jesus for all those years. And even whipping out his sword and cutting someone's ear off as they're surround by soldiers. Then becomes a coward when a girl asks him if he was a follower of Jesus. The famous 3 denials after those 3 years of seeing Jesus daily. That's WORSE than Elijah.
    Well, Peter redeemed himself and was eventually crucified upside down after watching his wife get crucified. Elijah avoided death altogether and was taking to heaven in chariot.

How could someone have so little trust in God when Jezebel threatened him?
    Because he was human, and sometimes people reach their limits. Let's not judge others; let's realize that even the very great will reach their breaking point eventually.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Isaiah 59:21

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Because he was human, and sometimes people reach their limits. Let's not judge others; let's realize that even the very great will reach their breaking point eventually.
    Yes, we look at our own friends' lives and decisions and we can see that people don't always act logically or rationally.
    And probably that's exactly how we seem to others.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Warfare takes a tremendous toll on someone physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Sometimes, at the end of a long spiritual battle, your humanity has nothing left to give or to fight with.

That's why God didn't condemn Elijah (who by the way, did have the strength to run some 50 miles away)

Instead, God sent an angel to comfort and restore him physically.

In the words of Jason Boure, "sleep is a weapon." God designed our physical bodies, and He understands our limits.

Sometimes, the most spiritually thing you can do is (a) sleep and then (b) eat angel food cake...

Well, Peter redeemed himself and was eventually crucified upside down after watching his wife get crucified. Elijah avoided death altogether and was taking to heaven in chariot.
    Is it that you have something against Elijah? How do you get that Elijah avoided death altogether? God chose to take Elijah in the chariot. And I have nothing against Peter, but he did wimp out when questioned by a little girl. Then told God no 3 times when He said kill and eat. Seems Peter made more boneheaded moves than Elijah. And once again, I have nothing against Peter. Just wondering why you're picking on poor Elijah.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Is it that you have something against Elijah? How do you get that Elijah avoided death altogether? God chose to take Elijah in the chariot. And I have nothing against Peter, but he did wimp out when questioned by a little girl. Then told God no 3 times when He said kill and eat. Seems Peter made more boneheaded moves than Elijah. And once again, I have nothing against Peter. Just wondering why you're picking on poor Elijah.
    I have nothing against Elijah. He's one of my favorites. I just wanted to see him crush Jezebel after he ordered the deaths of the 950 false prophets.

I'm on my Iphone so sorry that there will be no spaces but.... The Jews/Israel witnessed all the miracles God did for them in freeing them from Pharoah's hands (all the supernatural plagues). They also witnessed the "cloud" that followed them on their journey to the Sea. Then the parting of the sea which killed the army Pharaoh sent after them. Then on the journey the Manna that fell from the sky to feed them. And a few other miracles that Im not mentioning happened. Then when Moses went up into the mountain to talk to God (and receive the commandments) and he took too long and for some reason they thought he was dead and the people instantly lost faith and went back into idol worship. That is mind boggling. Oh and after that God led them to the promise land and the spies who went out to see it was petrified of the Nephliem/Giants/Hybrids and lost faith in Yahweh. How is that possible when they witnessed (first hand) all the miracles he had done? My answer to this is that we as human beings don't understand or can comprehend the power that Yahweh has and our memory banks are easily drained. We are full of doubt. Even when The Christ/Jesus was on earth everyone doubted EVEN the disciples. Despite prophesying of his own death and ressurection they didn't believe (or understand) so when he got crucified they all abandoned him and denied him despite spending 3 years with him witnessing all the miracles and listening to all his teachings. Elijah's doubting fails in comparison to the other examples in scriptures. I didn't even mention Abraham's story. You know where Yahwah himself told him that he was going to be father or a great nation. And his response was that I and my wife is too old (mind you he's talking to the creator of this world as if he cant override anything he wants) And his wife decided to give her handmaiden to Abraham to have a child because she too doesn't believe the FIRST HAND word from God. WE "as men and women" are not faithful to Yahwah HE is faithful to us.
    I didnt know the link didnt work

Blog Entries

Fair point but at least he had the courage to get out of the boat on stormy waters. Elijah had an amazing amount of courage the day before when he stood alone on Mt. Carmel facing 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of the goddess Asherah. He was outnumbered 950 to 1 yet he had complete trust in God. What happened the next day?
    He was still just a man who God used in some very big ways. Beside, he, by the power of God had just killed off Jez's entourage. She would be looking for his head above all others.
    If I saw that God allowed Jez to kill many around me, why would I think I could not also fall prey to her? Better die by His hand, than hers.
    Peace to you!

Psalms 138:7-8
    Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life;
    you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.
    The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
    Do not forsake the work of your hands.

Thread Information