Thread: Will the unjust be raised by groups?

Will the unjust be raised by groups?

I'm asking this on another board, and am curious as to what you here think about it.

Looking at Rev. 20:12-13, why does it seem that judging takes place before the sea people rise from the dead?

"And I saw the dead, small and great...judged...according to their works."
    "And the sea gave up the dead...every man judged according to his works."

Re: Will the unjust be raised by groups?

Heaven and earth flee in 20:11.

20:11
    "And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them."
    "And I saw the dead, small and great stand before God...judged..."
    v 12

v 13
    "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it...judged..."
    Last edited by vinsight4u8; Dec 14th 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinsight4u8
    Looking at Rev. 20:12-13, why does it seem that judging takes place before the sea people rise from the dead?
    John isn't specifying an order. He's simply showing that the judgment is comprehensive; it includes all of the dead.

Heaven and earth flee in 20:11.
    Heaven and earth aren't alive in order to be scared and 'flee'. John is borrowing poetic language from Psalm 114.

markedward,
    Is verse 12 an overall summary, and then verses 13-14 show what happens before the book of life was opened?

What books do you think the dead will be judged from as to their works?

"...and the books were opened...which were written in the books, according to their works."
    The book of life was also mentioned in that verse but maybe the next verse reveals that the rising of the dead (from the various locations) happens --those unjust are judged as to their works, and then the other book is opened --the book of life.

Verse 11 is the introduction to the scene ('Then I saw...'). It is a vision of judgment.

Verse 12-15 describe what is happening in the scene. The judgment is of all the dead, and judgment is based on what is written in the books ('according to their works'), which is then confirmed by the book of life ('And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life').

Quote Originally Posted by vinsight4u8 View Post
    the sea people rise from the dead?
    Just for clarification who do you think the "Sea People" are?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    Just for clarification who do you think the "Sea People" are?

Those wicked that are still buried at sea by then.

What it seems is that John told us about the various books being opened, then heads back soon in time to reveal that the judging according to works was over before the book of life was opened. Even death and hell were cast into the lake of fire before the book of life was opened?

Rev. 20:12
    "And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it..."
    v13
    "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened...."

Now, slide in the events of Rev. 20:13 to show where the dead came from and other stuff that happens before the book of life was opened?

v13
    "...they were judged every man according to their works."

v14
    "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

Now, is when the book of life was seen to be opened?
    v15
    "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Verse 11 is the introduction to the scene ('Then I saw...'). It is a vision of judgment.

Verse 12-15 describe what is happening in the scene. The judgment is of all the dead, and judgment is based on what is written in the books ('according to their works'), which is then confirmed by the book of life ('And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life').
    I appreciate your help on this. So, would you say that it seems as if the judging of the dead (that rose/wicked) happens ahead of the time of when the book of life was opened?

Verse 12 talks about the Book of Life first. We need to understand what this book is and what is in it. It seems that all the books are opened, but the key book is the book of life.
    When you answer the question what is this Book of Life then I think it all becomes clear.

Thread Information