cure-real
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Eve really add to God's word? Surely not.

Re: Did Eve really add to God's word? Surely not.

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    So if Eve said God said not to touch it, then that's exactly what God said, otherwise Eve is a liar IMO. No way do I believe she was a liar tho.
    Can you show me where it is recorded that God spoke to Eve or that Eve knew exactly what God said? Since you demanded proof above with this statement:

But where is the proof that Eve may have misunderstood, misapplied, even added to what God said?
    Will you please abide by your own standard of proof and show me where it is written that Eve had the full command of God communicated to her?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Because, the NT shows us that without law, that sin is not imputed.

Rom 5:13

13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. And that sin is the transgression of the law.
    KJV

and

1 John 3:4

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
    KJV

Eve may have misunderstood, misapplied, even added to what God said and none of it would have been sin because only 1 law was given, "do not eat of this tree".

The way it looks to me, and maybe it's only because of the way I reason things in general, but if one concludes that Eve added to what God said, that tells me that that person doesn't believe what the Scripture states, that God also said not to touch it, this according to Eve. The point being, Eve was still in a perfect state in the eyes of God at this point. At this point she was still naked and not ashamed when she said those things. She was still innocent.

You argued that the only commandment was not to partake of the tree. So let's throw in a hypothetical scenario here, in order to illustrate a point. Let's say before this incident even occurred Adam got into an altercation with Eve about something, and then strangled her to death. So then, since the only commandment was not to partake of the tree, you would then conclude God would take no issue with this, nor find Adam guilty of murder, nor that it would have been a sin at the time, and that He would just let it slide as if nothing had ever occurred? Depending on how you might reason that, and if you reason it like I would, thus concluding of course God would take issue with that, then why wouldn't God also take issue with the woman adding to what He had said, especially if He had said no such thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Because, the NT shows us that without law, that sin is not imputed.

Rom 5:13

13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. And that sin is the transgression of the law.
    KJV

and

1 John 3:4

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
    KJV

Eve may have misunderstood, misapplied, even added to what God said and none of it would have been sin because only 1 law was given, "do not eat of this tree".
    While I agree with you Eve either misunderstood or misapplied what God said (or Adam told her wrong), I think you are completely misapplying these scriptures. These two have nothing to do with the commandment to not eat of a tree, and point out The Law was before the Mosaic came.

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    The way it looks to me, and maybe it's only because of the way I reason things in general, but if one concludes that Eve added to what God said, that tells me that that person doesn't believe what the Scripture states, that God also said not to touch it, this according to Eve.
    'according to Eve'
    we have no record of God telling her anything.

No matter. The sin was to eat. Here's what God said to Eve

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

I don't see anything about touching the fruit. As far as we know, they could have had a food fight with it if they wanted to.

pushed out by those who say they're my brother

Hypothetically, God would not have held Adam accountable for murder. It had not been given as a law yet. BUT I think many people take the story of Adam and Eve as if every little thing happened in a literal way. We often do that with parables too. I think it complicates things. I tend to see the tree of knowledge of good and evil as the moment in time Adam went against his God-given conscience. Adam was given the ability to know it is wrong to do certain things—a conscience. When he went against this “law written on his heart” he died, in a spiritual sense. He lost access to the tree of life. The story reveals that both Adam and Eve chose to go against what they knew was right, and they both lost access to the tree of life (i.e. they died, in a spiritual sense). All men follow in their footsteps. Anyway, I don’t think the story was meant to be taken in such a strict, literal manner. The main point is to demonstrate man’s tendency to go against his conscience, the consequences of doing so (i.e. death), and to reveal that everlasting life had been a real option that was somehow lost by man’s transgression.

If no law for murder what of Cain?

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    If no law for murder what of Cain?
    I guess one would say that God gave the law for that AFTER they were kicked out of the garden.

Blog Entries

Maybe this will help...David Guzik's wrote an excellent commentary on the chapter and made some very good points. Eve did add to what God said...but Adam did a poor job in explaining the commandment....he was the 'head of the home' and didn't teach his wife very well:

d. She also gave to her husband with her: Not only did Eve sin, but she became the agent of temptation for Adam. But when Adam ate, he was not deceived as Eve was. Adam sinned with his eyes wide open, in open rebellion against God.

i. Therefore, it is Adam, not Eve, who bears the responsibility for the fall of the human race and for the introduction of death into the created order (Romans 5:12, 1 Corinthians 15:22). Eve was tricked into sinning; Adam knew exactly what he was doing (1 Timothy 2:14).

ii. Many have speculated that Adam sinned because he didn’t want Eve to be alone in the fall, and he ate of the fruit out of a romantic impulse. This may well be true, but it makes Adam’s sin not one bit less rebellious. Rebellion against God is not “better” when motivated by a romantic impulse.

iii. “Take and eat” will one day become verbs of salvation, but only after Jesus had lived in the world of Adam’s curse and surrendered to death.

Skipping up in the commentary:

d. To the woman: Satan brought his temptation against the woman because he perceived she was more vulnerable to attack. This is because she did not receive the command to not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil directly from God but through Adam (Genesis 2:15-17).

i. Perhaps Satan knew by observation Adam didn’t do an effective job in communicating to Eve what the LORD told him. This failure on Adam’s part made Eve more vulnerable to temptation.

ii. Satan will often attack a chain at its weakest link, so he gets at Adam by tempting Eve. The stronger ones in a “chain” must expect attack against weaker links and support them against those attacks.

iii. It was also in God’s plan to allow Satan to tempt Eve this way. If Adam would have sinned first, and if he had given the fruit to Eve, she might have a partial excuse before God: “I was simply obeying the head of our home. When he gave me the fruit, I ate of it.”

e. Has God indeed said: Satan’s first attack is leveled against the Word of God. If he can get Eve confused about what God said, or to doubt what God said, then his battle is partially won.

i. From the beginning, Satan has tried to undermine God’s people by undermining God’s Word. He can undermine just as effectively by getting us to neglect God’s Word as by getting us to doubt it.

f. “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?” Satan took God’s positive command (Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat [Genesis 2:16-17]) and rephrased it in a negative way: “God won’t let you eat of every tree.”

2. (Genesis 3:2-3) Eve’s reply to the serpent.

And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ “

a. And the woman said to the serpent: Eve’s first mistake was in even carrying on a discussion with the serpent. We are called to talk to the devil, but never to have a discussion with him. We simply and strongly tell him, “The Lord rebuke you!” (Judges 1:9)

b. We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: Eve’s knowledge of what she should not do is partially correct, but what she doesn’t seem to know makes her all the more vulnerable to deception.

i. Eve does not seem to know the name of this tree; she only calls it the tree in the midst of the garden, instead of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:17).

ii. Eve misquoted God’s command to Adam. Her words, “you shall not eat it” and “lest you die” are close enough, but she added to the command and put words in God’s mouth when she said, “nor shall you touch it.” Of course, it was a good idea to completely avoid the temptation; no good could come from massaging the fruit you’re not supposed to eat. But it is a dangerous thing to teach the doctrines of man as if they are the commandments of God (Matthew 15:9).

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Eve did not add to the word of God because the word was given to Adam. It was never entrusted to Eve personally. That's why when man sinned in the garden it was called the Sin of Adam and necessitated Jesus, the Second Adam to come and redeem the earth from what happened in the garden.
    The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    I guess one would say that God gave the law for that AFTER they were kicked out of the garden.
    One might but not this one. I'd say the natural law was from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    One might but not this one. I'd say the natural law was from the beginning.
    No by this time they had eaten of the fruit and had knowledge of good and evil.

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Maybe this will help...David Guzik's wrote an excellent commentary on the chapter and made some very good points. Eve did add to what God said...but Adam did a poor job in explaining the commandment....he was the 'head of the home' and didn't teach his wife very well:

d. To the woman: Satan brought his temptation against the woman because he perceived she was more vulnerable to attack. This is because she did not receive the command to not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil directly from God but through Adam (Genesis 2:15-17).

i. Perhaps Satan knew by observation Adam didn’t do an effective job in communicating to Eve what the LORD told him. This failure on Adam’s part made Eve more vulnerable to temptation.
    How in the.....

Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
    Gen 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

Oh, no.....I see they mention this later. How strange. They said the above knowing what it said.
    2. (Genesis 3:2-3) Eve’s reply to the serpent.

And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ “

b. We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: Eve’s knowledge of what she should not do is partially correct, but what she doesn’t seem to know makes her all the more vulnerable to deception.
    Partially? God said, eat of that tree you'll die. All the info is there.

iii. It was also in God’s plan to allow Satan to tempt Eve this way. If Adam would have sinned first, and if he had given the fruit to Eve, she might have a partial excuse before God: “I was simply obeying the head of our home. When he gave me the fruit, I ate of it.”
    It was not God's plan and it wouldn't have mattered which way, because the issue was eating, which they did.

There's a lot of if's, speculating, speaking of things we can't possible know, and outright wrong info in this commentary.

You can't eat something without touching it.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    What a very smart point!

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    But you can touch something without eating it tho.

Thread Information