cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesus name in Aramaic

Jesus name in Aramaic

I was searching youtube to try to find out how to pronounce Jesus's name in Aramaic and what I found is that his name is Eashoa. Pronounced like E-Sho. Has anyone else came to this conclusion while trying to find out his name in the language that he used?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Re: Jesus name in Aramaic

You will get a host of answers on this one. Yeshua, Yahushua, Eashoa, Yehoshua, Yashaya, Isa, Iesous and more. And everyone who presents their case for His "real" name will tell you that they have concrete evidence.

All I can tell is that I don't know how to pronounce His name the way the angel pronounced it to both Mary and Joseph. But I'm so glad it doesn't matter. Even today, all over the world when people pray in Jesus' name and preachers preach about Jesus, there are a wide variety of languages going on - Chinese, Spanish, French, and English, but He hears us all no matter how we say His name.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willhelmet View Post
    I was searching youtube to try to find out how to pronounce Jesus's name in Aramaic and what I found is that his name is Eashoa. Pronounced like E-Sho. Has anyone else came to this conclusion while trying to find out his name in the language that he used?

Thanks.
    Sadly, there are a TON of self-proclaimed experts on this, and most don't know Hebrew and have no understanding of linguistics. In short, Yehoshua [Ye-ho-shua] (emphasis placed in the last four letters "shua") is Hebrew, Yeshua [Ye-shua] is Aramaic but is also the accepted short form of Yehoshua in Hebrew. Personally, I tend to think he was named Yehoshua but many called him Yeshua since among Jews, Aramaic was the language of Judea at the time. I do agree with Jayne in that He hears from a pure heart, not proper pronunciation. Yet, I do personally find myself drawn to use a form He heard with His own ears, I guess it is just a respect thing my parents instilled in me!

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

One of my favorites. Great part at 1:00 - 1:15

"I've always called you 'Jesus,' and you've always called me 'Sonny'. This is Sonny talking, Jesus."

One of the most honest depictions of prayer ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5v5DOEF45E

Blog Entries

His name in Aramaic is the same as the word "salvation" in Hebrew. Fairly common in the 1st century by the way. The man pardoned that the crowd was screaming for pardon by Pilat was (Yeshua) bar Abba (son of God). Interesting play on words.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    His name in Aramaic is the same as the word "salvation" in Hebrew.
    Not exactly.... Yeshua (H3442) means "he will save." Yehoshua (H3091) means "YHWH is salvation." This is why I PERSONALLY believe he was given the Hebrew name over the Aramaic. God has always tabbed a descriptive title to his name when doing something He desires to be memorialized. I will share a few using "YHWH" but most are familiar with Jehovah.

YHWH-Ra'ah means YHWH (or the Lord) my Shepherd
    YHWH - Rapha means YHWH (or the Lord) who heals
    YHWH - Yireh means YHWH (or the Lord) provides

Yehoshua is simply YHWH - Shua meaning YHWH (or the Lord) is salvation. Since this is "God in the flesh" and because He was named ______ because "he will save his people from their sins," then I personally see Yehoshua fitting better than Yeshua but I can see where either work so it is no issue to me which you prefer. Incidentally, "Jesus" is transliterated from the Latin Iesus, which was transliterated from the Greek Iesous, which came from Yeshua, not Yehoshua. James Strong (Strong's Concordance) has "Jehoshua" (the J once carried the Y sound) as the underlying word for Jesus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post
    Not exactly.... Yeshua (H3442) means "he will save." Yehoshua (H3091) means "YHWH is salvation." This is why I PERSONALLY believe he was given the Hebrew name over the Aramaic. God has always tabbed a descriptive title to his name when doing something He desires to be memorialized. I will share a few using "YHWH" but most are familiar with Jehovah.

YHWH-Ra'ah means YHWH (or the Lord) my Shepherd
    YHWH - Rapha means YHWH (or the Lord) who heals
    YHWH - Yireh means YHWH (or the Lord) provides

Yehoshua is simply YHWH - Shua meaning YHWH (or the Lord) is salvation. Since this is "God in the flesh" and because He named ______ because "he will save his people from their sins," then I personally see Yehoshua fitting better than Yeshua but I can see where either work so it is no issue to me which you prefer. Incidentally, "Jesus" is transliterated from the Latin Iesus, which was transliterated from the Greek Iesous, which came from Yeshua, not Yehoshua.
    "Yeshua" was a common name in the first century. That was his name.
    By the way the Septuagint has Joshua's name as "Iesus."

Blog Entries

"Yeshua" was a common name in the first century. That was his name.
    By the way the Septuagint has Joshua's name as "Iesus."
    More common than you might realize, like over 25% of the male population born during Roman occupation! A case can be made for either side Keck, but nobody can say with 100% certainly it was ____. Like I said, James Strong has Yehoshua as the underlying Hebrew for Jesus, and "Iesous" for Joshua as you point out, and Joshua in Hebrew is Yehoshua not Yeshua, means it can be either. Generally Keck, and I have spent considerable time on this, Yehoshua was used by those who were tied more closely to the Temple and religious practices of the day. Yeshua was the short form of that name.... and most were named Yeshua. But, because of the description in Matthew 1:21, as well as all the times throughout the Tanach God has simply added a title to a practice of His (see my last post), and considering how closely Joseph and Mary appear to be to people like Zachariah and Elizabeth, I tend to think Hebrew. Throw in him speaking to Paul on the Damascus road in Hebrew not Aramaic... I just lean this way. You can lean whichever way you want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    You will get a host of answers on this one. Yeshua, Yahushua, Eashoa, Yehoshua, Yashaya, Isa, Iesous and more. And everyone who presents their case for His "real" name will tell you that they have concrete evidence.

All I can tell is that I don't know how to pronounce His name the way the angel pronounced it to both Mary and Joseph. But I'm so glad it doesn't matter. Even today, all over the world when people pray in Jesus' name and preachers preach about Jesus, there are a wide variety of languages going on - Chinese, Spanish, French, and English, but He hears us all no matter how we say His name.
    Amen. A rose is a rose.

And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
    (Act 2:5-6)

We can simply acknowledge Him as creator of all, biblically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    One of my favorites. Great part at 1:00 - 1:15

"I've always called you 'Jesus,' and you've always called me 'Sonny'. This is Sonny talking, Jesus."

One of the most honest depictions of prayer ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5v5DOEF45E
    I love that movie...it's a shame a lot of churches came out against it as making fun of the faith....when that's far...far...far from what that movie is about.

Blog Entries

Can I just call Him King of kings, Lord of Lords?

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Can I just call Him King of kings, Lord of Lords?
    Roger, that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where i got the information from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivm4RbIeKc

He's got other videos speaking in aramaic ie the lords prayer in aramaic

Blog Entries

You pronounce it like this יְשׁוּעָה
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    You pronounce it like this יְשׁוּעָה
    Or "Jah".

Hallelujah. Holy is Jah. Jah Rasta Fari.

Thread Information