cure-real

Thread: Abiding in Christ Jesus

Blog Entries

Abiding in Christ Jesus

Grace and Peace to you all.

I would like to discuss the doctrine of Christ. Please contribute any additional passages or insights you are led to share, along with the answers to my questions.
    In case anyone is wondering, I am quoting from the LITV:

John 15:4 Remain in Me, and I in you. As the branch is not able to bear fruit of itself, unless it remain in the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in Me.
    John 15:5 I am the Vine; you are the branches. The one abiding in Me, and I in him, this one bears much fruit, because apart from Me you are not able to execute, nothing.
    John 15:6 Unless one remains in Me, he is cast out as the branch and is dried up; and they gather and throw them into a fire, and they are burned.
    John 15:7 If you remain in Me, and My Words remain in you, whatever you desire you will ask, and it shall happen to you.

Remaining in Christ means to continue in the foundational truths proclaimed by His apostles, originally taught by Jesus Christ the Master Himself.
    Abiding in Christ means surrendering to Him, trusting in Him, obeying Him, following Him, and keeping His commandments.
    Jesus demands a continual abiding faith in Him. He wants us to presently and actively believe on Him for our salvation. What an amazing promise we have from our heavenly Father if we remain in Him.

1) What does abiding/remaining in Christ mean to you?

---

1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He is revealed we may have confidence, and not be shamed from Him in His coming.
    1 John 2:29 If you know that He is righteous, know that everyone doing righteousness has been generated from Him.

2 John 1:9 Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. The one abiding in the doctrine of Christ, this one has the Father and the Son.

Transgressing, adding to or removing, going beyond, defiling. This was a warning against the Gnostic heresies of the time, and is still valid for today.
    We are admonished to abide in Christ's doctrine, alone. To follow Him, alone. To seek His righteousness, alone. To worship Him, alone.
    To pick up our cross daily, crucify the flesh, put on His garment of resurrection, and abide in the righteous peace and simplicity that we have in Christ.
    An abiding faith in Christ's redemptive work empowers our relationship with the Father and Son as we are conformed to His image, from glory to glory.

2) What do you believe transgresses the doctrine of Christ?
    ---

John 14:15 If you love Me, keep My commandments.
    John 14:16 And I will petition the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you to the age,
    John 14:17 the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive because it does not see Him nor know Him. But you know Him, for He abides with you and shall be in you.

John 14:20 In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.
    John 14:21 He that has My commandments and keeps them, it is that one who loves Me; and the one that loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and will reveal Myself to him.

1 John 3:4 Everyone practicing sin also practices lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
    1 John 3:5 And you know that that One was revealed that He might take away our sins, and sin is not in Him.
    1 John 3:6 Everyone remaining in Him does not sin. Everyone sinning has not seen Him, nor known Him.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no one lead you astray; the one practicing righteousness is righteous, even as that One is righteous.
    1 John 3:8 The one practicing sin is of the devil, because the devil sins from the beginning. For this the Son of God was revealed, that He might undo the works of the devil.
    1 John 3:9 Everyone who has been begotten of God does not sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to sin, because he has been born of God.

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
    1 John 3:19 And in this we shall know that we are of the truth, and shall persuade our hearts before Him,
    1 John 3:20 that if our heart accuses us, we know that God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
    1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart does not accuse us, we have confidence with God.

1 John 3:22 And whatever we ask, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments, and we do the things pleasing before Him.
    1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment, that we should believe the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, even as He gave command to us.
    1 John 3:24 And the one keeping His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He gave to us.

There is no condemnation to those walking in the Spirit, and those who walk in the Spirit do no sin.
    The Spirit of Truth dwells in us. He convicts of sin, and He equips with love. In loving Jesus Christ and our neighbor, we obey Him. In obeying Him, we have an assurance of abiding in Him, and He in us.
    Love never fails.

Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirs up fights, but love covers all transgressions.

3) What do you believe helps you to remain in Him?

God bless.

Re: Abiding in Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by cuban View Post

I would like to discuss the doctrine of Christ. Please contribute any additional passages or insights you are led to share, along with the answers to my questions.
    In case anyone is wondering, I am quoting from the LITV:

John 15:4 Remain in Me, and I in you. As the branch is not able to bear fruit of itself, unless it remain in the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in Me.
    John 15:5 I am the Vine; you are the branches. The one abiding in Me, and I in him, this one bears much fruit, because apart from Me you are not able to execute, nothing.
    John 15:6 Unless one remains in Me, he is cast out as the branch and is dried up; and they gather and throw them into a fire, and they are burned.
    John 15:7 If you remain in Me, and My Words remain in you, whatever you desire you will ask, and it shall happen to you.

Remaining in Christ means to continue in the foundational truths proclaimed by His apostles, originally taught by Jesus Christ the Master Himself.
    Abiding in Christ means surrendering to Him, trusting in Him, obeying Him, following Him, and keeping His commandments.
    Jesus demands a continual abiding faith in Him. He wants us to presently and actively believe on Him for our salvation. What an amazing promise we have from our heavenly Father if we remain in Him.

1) What does abiding/remaining in Christ mean to you?

---

1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He is revealed we may have confidence, and not be shamed from Him in His coming.
    1 John 2:29 If you know that He is righteous, know that everyone doing righteousness has been generated from Him.

2 John 1:9 Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. The one abiding in the doctrine of Christ, this one has the Father and the Son.

Transgressing, adding to or removing, going beyond, defiling. This was a warning against the Gnostic heresies of the time, and is still valid for today.
    We are admonished to abide in Christ's doctrine, alone. To follow Him, alone. To seek His righteousness, alone. To worship Him, alone.
    To pick up our cross daily, crucify the flesh, put on His garment of resurrection, and abide in the righteous peace and simplicity that we have in Christ.
    An abiding faith in Christ's redemptive work empowers our relationship with the Father and Son as we are conformed to His image, from glory to glory.

2) What do you believe transgresses the doctrine of Christ?
    ---

John 14:15 If you love Me, keep My commandments.
    John 14:16 And I will petition the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you to the age,
    John 14:17 the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive because it does not see Him nor know Him. But you know Him, for He abides with you and shall be in you.

John 14:20 In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.
    John 14:21 He that has My commandments and keeps them, it is that one who loves Me; and the one that loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and will reveal Myself to him.

1 John 3:4 Everyone practicing sin also practices lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
    1 John 3:5 And you know that that One was revealed that He might take away our sins, and sin is not in Him.
    1 John 3:6 Everyone remaining in Him does not sin. Everyone sinning has not seen Him, nor known Him.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no one lead you astray; the one practicing righteousness is righteous, even as that One is righteous.
    1 John 3:8 The one practicing sin is of the devil, because the devil sins from the beginning. For this the Son of God was revealed, that He might undo the works of the devil.
    1 John 3:9 Everyone who has been begotten of God does not sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to sin, because he has been born of God.

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
    1 John 3:19 And in this we shall know that we are of the truth, and shall persuade our hearts before Him,
    1 John 3:20 that if our heart accuses us, we know that God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
    1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart does not accuse us, we have confidence with God.

1 John 3:22 And whatever we ask, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments, and we do the things pleasing before Him.
    1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment, that we should believe the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, even as He gave command to us.
    1 John 3:24 And the one keeping His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He gave to us.

There is no condemnation to those walking in the Spirit, and those who walk in the Spirit do no sin.
    The Spirit of Truth dwells in us. He convicts of sin, and He equips with love. In loving Jesus Christ and our neighbor, we obey Him. In obeying Him, we have an assurance of abiding in Him, and He in us.
    Love never fails.

Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirs up fights, but love covers all transgressions.

3) What do you believe helps you to remain in Him?

God bless.
    Abiding in Christ is accomplished by the keeping power of God. It is not by a human effort. We indeed surrender our lives, our time, our cares to Jesus Christ in order to be given the grace that sets us free from a human effort. When we abide in Christ we walk as Jesus walked. A walk in the power of Christ is by faith...and overcomes all things just as Jesus did. So we are inside the righteousness and holy presence of God. When we live from there we don't sin. Put on the new man (Jesus Christ) and sin not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    Abiding in Christ is accomplished by the keeping power of God. It is not by a human effort. We indeed surrender our lives, our time, our cares to Jesus Christ in order to be given the grace that sets us free from a human effort. When we abide in Christ we walk as Jesus walked. A walk in the power of Christ is by faith...and overcomes all things just as Jesus did. So we are inside the righteousness and holy presence of God. When we live from there we don't sin. Put on the new man (Jesus Christ) and sin not.
    Amen brother. I appreciate your view, and I am edified.

Through Faith, Grace abounds so that we do not transgress. Let us seek His will in All things so that we may walk like Him. As we daily Die, and are Buried, let us Arise in His Garments and grow in His Grace.
    Living from there...whew... Thank you Jesus... You are Altogether Lovely... All things are New.

Love to you.

Through Faith, Grace abounds so that we do not transgress. Let us seek His will in All things so that we may walk like Him. As we daily Die, and are Buried, let us Arise in His Garments and grow in His Grace.
    Living from there...whew... Thank you Jesus... You are Altogether Lovely... All things are New.

Love to you.
    Amen! God bless you!

Love to you.
    Amen! Through faith we have access to his abundant grace to be conformed to his image and walk as he walked!

Good subject of conversation, brother! Welcome to the site!
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Blog Entries

What do you believe transgresses the doctrine of Christ?
    Love never fails.
    cuban, welcome to Bibleforums!

I want to offer some comments on the passage you offered regarding "the doctrine of Christ" in 2 John. To me, I don't come up with the question quite the way you do. I don't think transgression of the doctrine of Christ in 2 John is commandment based.

It seems to me that the test of the doctrine of Christ in John 2 is primarily composed of one's confession regarding who Jesus Christ was/is, and what He taught and claimed about Himself. Even if though someone appear to be righteous, they are not abiding in the doctrine of Christ if they don't confess Him to have come in the flesh. If one appears to or claims to abide in and please God, but denies (i.e. not ignorantly) that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, then they are a deceiver because one can no longer abide in God except through Christ; thus they abide neither in the Father or the Son since they deny the Son.

7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8
    Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Regarding verse 9, the one who transgresses is the one who becomes deceived by such deceivers of verse 7; not being faithful to the witness of Apostles. Thus they no longer regard the doctrine of Christ; that He is come in the flesh, as God, and that by none other name under heaven but Jesus can we be saved.

I agree that John also addresses the witness of one's actions as well, but I don't think that is in reference to transgression to the doctrine of Christ. Note that in verse 10, the doctrine is "brought" and not obeyed. The first test of fellowship is the confession of believing on Jesus Christ, as God having come in the flesh.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neanias View Post
    Amen! Through faith we have access to his abundant grace to be conformed to his image and walk as he walked!

Good subject of conversation, brother! Welcome to the site!
    Yes! Praise God that we have access to His Riches in Glory through Christ Jesus!
    Thank you for the welcome, and God bless you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watchinginawe View Post
    cuban, welcome to Bibleforums!

I want to offer some comments on the passage you offered regarding "the doctrine of Christ" in 2 John. To me, I don't come up with the question quite the way you do. I don't think transgression of the doctrine of Christ in 2 John is commandment based.

It seems to me that the test of the doctrine of Christ in John 2 is primarily composed of one's confession regarding who Jesus Christ was/is, and what He taught and claimed about Himself. Even if though someone appear to be righteous, they are not abiding in the doctrine of Christ if they don't confess Him to have come in the flesh. If one appears to or claims to abide in and please God, but denies (i.e. not ignorantly) that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, then they are a deceiver because one can no longer abide in God except through Christ; thus they abide neither in the Father or the Son since they deny the Son.

7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8
    Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Regarding verse 9, the one who transgresses is the one who becomes deceived by such deceivers of verse 7; not being faithful to the witness of Apostles. Thus they no longer regard the doctrine of Christ; that He is come in the flesh, as God, and that by none other name under heaven but Jesus can we be saved.

I agree that John also addresses the witness of one's actions as well, but I don't think that is in reference to transgression to the doctrine of Christ. Note that in verse 10, the doctrine is "brought" and not obeyed. The first test of fellowship is the confession of believing on Jesus Christ, as God having come in the flesh.
    Thank you WiA! I am blessed to be here.

Your testimony is true. In context, we find that the doctrine of Christ in 2 John is in regards to the Apostolic witness. I believe I touched upon this in my first paragraph, although not in specific reference to the above verses.
    Thank you for clarifying this. One cannot abide in the doctrine of Christ without bearing witness to the foundational truths. By this we are given a key to discern the carnal-minded Gnostic who professes spiritual light, but is lost in his darkness.
    This is in contrast to, and is in violation of that which was handed down from the Head to His Body. He who denies the Son, has not the Father, and is indeed anti-Christ.

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is a last hour, and as you heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have risen up, from which you know that it is a last hour.
    1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us. For if they were of us, they would have remained with us; but they left so that it might be revealed that they all are not of us.

1 John 2:20 And you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.
    1 John 2:21 I did not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because every lie is not of the truth.
    1 John 2:22 Who is the liar, except the one denying, saying that Jesus is not the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one denying the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:23 Everyone denying the Son does not have the Father. The one confessing the Son also has the Father.

1 John 2:24 Then what you heard from the beginning, let it abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you will abide both in the Son and in the Father.
    1 John 2:25 And this is the promise which He promised us: everlasting life.
    1 John 2:26 I wrote these things to you concerning the ones leading you astray.
    1 John 2:27 And the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone teach you. But as His anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and as He taught you, abide in Him.

God bless you.

Blog Entries

What do you believe helps you to remain in Him?
    I like your selection of John 14. I am a John 14 kind of guy. We have the following in John 7 lest anyone believe the Holy Spirit is for the Apostles only.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The Holy Spirit, the Comforter, is our helper in all things, including conviction and assurance. As you offered, let us walk in the Spirit. That is, of course, different than walking according to the spirit of a thing. We need to guard ourselves from things like unbelief, roots of bitterness, and sin which so easily besets us. This is done by building our faith in Jesus Christ and walking in the Spirit which He gives us (presently, not past tense IMO).
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watchinginawe View Post
    I like your selection of John 14. I am a John 14 kind of guy. We have the following in John 7 lest anyone believe the Holy Spirit is for the Apostles only.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The Holy Spirit, the Comforter, is our helper in all things, including conviction and assurance. As you offered, let us walk in the Spirit. That is, of course, different than walking according to the spirit of a thing. We need to guard ourselves from things like unbelief, roots of bitterness, and sin which so easily besets us. This is done by building our faith in Jesus Christ and walking in the Spirit which He gives us (presently, not past tense IMO).
    Excellent, the same Spirit that was upon King David is the Same Spirit that rose Lazarus! The Same Spirit that made Paul preach with Boldness dwells within you and I. The promise fulfilled.
    What more help could we ask for? Perhaps my question is better phrased, "In what ways does the Holy Spirit empower us to abide in Christ?".

What an amazing Father we have, who comes and makes His tabernacle within these temporal frames! Man, that is a Big Deal! The Holy Spirit of God, in ME! A virgin wine-skin filled with the living waters of Christ.
    With the love of God abiding within and guiding us, all things become possible. If He has set us free, then let us live freely indeed.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are the children of God, and it was not yet revealed what we shall be. But we know that if He is revealed, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is.
    1 John 3:3 And everyone having this hope on Him purifies himself even as that One is pure.

Thank you LORD Jesus for grace we have never deserved! How beautiful are Your Ways! We can do nothing without You LORD, the Author and Finisher of our Faith..

Blog Entries

His full counsel arrives when we are united with Christ Jesus, and our identity is completely found in the efficiency of Who He Is!

As we apply diligence in seeking the Father with all our hearts, as we seek the unity and love of the Church, as we look to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth!
    As we abide, remain, and continue in Christ, our faith is strengthened..our love grows.. our hope endures.. and it shall not waver as we stand on God's promises.

Thread Information