cure-real

Thread: Isaiah 18, a prophecy about the USA?

Blog Entries

Question Isaiah 18, a prophecy about the USA?

Ah, land of whirring wings
    that is beyond the rivers of Cush,[a]
    2 which sends ambassadors by the sea,
    in vessels of papyrus on the waters!
    Go, you swift messengers,
    to a nation tall and smooth,
    to a people feared near and far,
    a nation mighty and conquering,z
    whose land the rivers divide.

Alright, this is a tricky chapter. The first verse is very tricky indeed. The prophecy is often said to be about Ethiopia, where the Nile river originates and since Cush is associated with Nubia, south of Egypt in the Bible times. Cush was a grandson of Noah who was the forefather of the Cush-ites, and related to the Nubians of Sudan and other Africans. The rivers of Cush are clearly the Nile and her tributaries. So what is this telling us in Isaiah 18?

The nation and the river.
    The first trouble is that the prophecy is directed toward a land of some kind of ... sounds (whirring wings). The word for whirring is a word associated with the noise of crickets, perhaps a clicking sound, and with barbed weapons. It is used 6x in 5 verses in the Old Testament.
    Deu 28:42 all thy trees and the fruit of thy ground doth the locust possess; (YLT)
    2Sa 6:5 and David and all the house of Israel are playing before Jehovah, with all kinds of instruments of fir-wood, even with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cornets, and with cymbals. (YLT)
    Job 41:7 Dost thou fill with barbed irons his skin? And with fish-spears his head? (YLT)
    Psa 150:5 Praise Him with cymbals of sounding, Praise Him with cymbals of shouting. (YLT)
    Isa 18:1
    Ah, land of whirring wings that is beyond the rivers of Cush (ESV)

Whether this word means "bug" or "kazoo" or "locust" or "cricket" whatever it is there was a special use for this word we don't really understand, but it was associated with either music or weapons. It is some kind of instrument either way.

The "wings" word is also a tricky one, it is taken from the Hebrew word for "extents" or "extremities". A birds wings were the same word as the edges of a robe, and it was also assocated with the private areas of a person. It is also used as a word for stretched-out or spread-out (see Dan 9:27).

So this nation, whatever it is, is something to do with a very significant noisyness?.

The location?
    The nation is both beyond Nile River, and divided (or cleaved) by rivers.

Beyond the Nile valley: Ethiopia is at the boundary of the Nile Valley, making it one choice. But Ethiopia is also very accessible by sea from Israel.

The Nile and Egypt are primarily West of Israel as the setting of the sun goes, and so it would be possible that the direction of the prophecy is generally directed westward, and Egypt was generally to the direct West of Judah. If Ethiopia is the target of the prophecy, due south, how do the people of Ethiopia match the prophecy? Have they been feared from their beginning onward?

The people of the prophecy
    >> "a nation mighty and conquering," (Verse 7)

Are any of the African nations mighty and conquering? No. They've been divided for spoil by the imperialist western nations, and who is the mightest of the nations today? Who is accused around the world of illegal war and invasions?

The time of the prophecy
    Verses 3 and 7 implicate the end times as the focus, and the surrounding chapters reinforces this as well. If the time of the end is in focus, what nation is noiser, more feared, than any other, and also divided by rivers, and full of tall people?

No, it is not a prophecy about the USA.

Re: Isaiah 18, a prophecy about the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Aijalon View Post
    and full of tall people?
    I'm only 5'-2".
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

And through the storm yet I will praise you
    Despite it all yet I will sing
    Through good or bad yet I will worship
    You remain the same, King of Kings

You are the voice of hope; the anchor of my soul
    Where there seems to be no way, you make it possible
    You are the Prince of Peace amidst adversity
    My lips will shout for joy to you the Most High.
    "The voice of Hope" Lara Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    I'm only 5'-2".
    Well, I'm just 4'll'. Haha. Seriously, from all I've read the USA is not prophesied in the Bible. The reason may be that the US is no longer a contender in world events by then. Some people believe the only reason we are even a country now is due to our support of Israel and when we support them no more--watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Well, I'm just 4'll'. Haha. Seriously, from all I've read the USA is not prophesied in the Bible. The reason may be that the US is no longer a contender in world events by then. Some people believe the only reason we are even a country now is due to our support of Israel and when we support them no more--watch out!
    I believe the are sections that could fit the USA description. Much of how you interpret Biblical end time prophecy will depend upon the foundation of interpretation you start with.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

And through the storm yet I will praise you
    Despite it all yet I will sing
    Through good or bad yet I will worship
    You remain the same, King of Kings

You are the voice of hope; the anchor of my soul
    Where there seems to be no way, you make it possible
    You are the Prince of Peace amidst adversity
    My lips will shout for joy to you the Most High.
    "The voice of Hope" Lara Martin

Jacob will lose his strength Jeremiah 30:7, Isaiah 17:4-6

Jacob/Israel, the father of the twelve tribes of Israel. We know of the visible entity of the State of Israel and the other Jewish people scattered around the world. But of the other ten tribes, who were taken out of the holy Land and dispersed in circa 719BCE, we cannot be certain of who or where they are now. This is as God wanted it to be. 1 Kings 12:24, Deuteronomy 4:27, Ezekiel 34:5
    However, careful research of the historical record, archaeological evidence and things like DNA testing, confirms that they travelled to and settled in what is now the Western nations. The majority seem to be in Europe, North America and also Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Who the ‘Lost Tribes’ are now seems very much related to the Christian nations. Acts 26:7
    Therefore this disastrous event that will cause their loss of strength will affect all of them.
    Isaiah 30:25-28 tells us that ‘on the Day fortresses fall’, the sun will explode out a huge coronal mass ejection, which will cause the literal and complete fulfilment of all the prophecies about the forthcoming ‘devouring fire, that sieves out the nations for destruction’. Habakkuk 3:12, Joel 2:6, Isaiah 34:1-4
    Many prophecies say how all the world’s military powers will be destroyed and wiped out on this great Day of the Lord’s wrath. Hosea 2:18, Amos 5:9, Jeremiah 50:27
    Jeremiah 50:22-25 The sound of war and destruction is heard in the land. See how the hammer of the whole world is shattered and broken, how Babylon has become a thing of horror among the nations! They are trapped and punished because they challenged God. The Lord opens His armoury and brings out His weapons of wrath, this is His work to do in the land of those who deny Him. Deut. 32:22

Isaiah 18:1-7 Go swiftly My messengers to a distant land, a land of many rivers, to a people tall and smooth skinned; a nation strong and aggressive, dreaded by all the world. All the peoples of the earth will see the sign and hear the trumpet call for them. The Lord will wait and watch from His dwelling place, then when the ‘fruit is ripe’, the pruning will happen and ‘all the unwanted shoots and branches’, will be removed and burnt. [Rev. 14:14-16] Their land will be left to the wild birds and animals.
    At that time, tribute will be brought by those people to the Lord. They will bring it to the place where the Name of the Lord of heavens armies dwells, to Mt Zion.

Reference: Revised English Bible. Some verses abridged.

The United States of America, is a land of many rivers, is the modern policeman [as a 'hammer'] of the world and is now a Babylon type nation. These tall and smooth skinned people challenge God with laws that refute the Commandments and atheist teaching, such as evolution. They are strong and aggressive and their power is feared by every nation of the world.
    God is watching them and at the right time, He will open His armoury and destroy their strength by His terrible judgement of fire. The whole country will become depopulated and the survivors will bring tribute to the Lord, in Jerusalem.

I see the whirring wings as the air force of the mighty and conquering nation.
    I also see the mighty and conquering nation as the he-goat who comes from the west and traverses the whole earth without touching the ground (air force) who conquers Media and Persia (corresponding to Iraq, Iran, and parts of Syria of today). (Daniel chapter 8).
    I also believe the conquering first horseman of the apocalypse (Rev chapter 6) represents this nation.

Blog Entries

The he-goat is a spiritual entity and represents a spiritual battle we cannot see physically. The connection with a flying goat and an air force isn't a good one IMO, but I agree that the he-goat's power is operating through western nations.

The ram and the goat are not up to interpretation. The angel tells Daniel what they mean: the ram's two horns are Media and Persia, and the goat with a large horn is the 'first king' of Greece who would suddenly die and have his kingdom split into four.

Media and Persia means Media and Persia, not Iraq and Iran and Syria. King of Greece means king of Greece, not the 'air force' or 'western nations'.

Let us see... the first king of Greece conquers Media and Persia, but then he suddenly dies and his kingdom is split into four. Any guesses?

Thread Information