cure-real
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What Does God Consider a Marriage?

Re: What Does God Consider a Marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    Um, I asked the question, so I decide if the answer is relevant.
    (in post # 82) you'd asked the question about; "how to initiate a marriage Biblically?"

(in post # 85) I answered verbatim (from Nave's Topical Bible)
    about BETROTHAL *** aka engagement... aka initiating marriage
    = DIRECTLY RELEVANT to your question

Aviyah,

Someone actually wrote something in this thread that made a lot of sense, can't remember who said it, but it was along the lines of not finding every single answer to every single life question within the bounds of the Bible, it points us to Christ - who we then follow. You should ask God what marriage looks like for you, don't ask everyone else, you're going to get 100's of different responses, then report back here and we can argue with God about what He told you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Aviyah,

Someone actually wrote something in this thread that made a lot of sense, can't remember who said it, but it was along the lines of not finding every single answer to every single life question within the bounds of the Bible, it points us to Christ - who we then follow. You should ask God what marriage looks like for you, don't ask everyone else, you're going to get 100's of different responses, then report back here and we can argue with God about what He told you.
    I just don't like basing my decisions on feelings etc... I'd rather have something concrete like text, but I suppose there is no other option in this case.
    Go and cry out to the gods whom you have chosen;
    Let them save you in the time of your distress.
    Judges 10:14

Quote Originally Posted by psyche643 View Post

This is my last post on this board, so I will take this opportunity to share my opinion.
    pardon me; for omitting your brow beating ridicule of the mod

just hope that someday you'll learn how to recognize zeal & enthusiasm for God... & also realize that there is such a thing as Righteous Indignation, given all the Biblical examples of them... even by The Good Shepherd Himself...

(sadly) it's an all too common misconception; that Jesus was a passive/permissive, complacent Teacher

I just don't like basing my decisions on feelings etc... I'd rather have something concrete like text, but I suppose there is no other option in this case.
    But life doesn't live in the text, the letter of the law kills, the Spirit of the law gives life.

I'd rather have something concrete like text.
    if you truly mean this? then why have you consistently disregarded the Biblical texts & links referencing them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 3:5-7 View Post
    if you truly mean this? then why have you consistently disregarded the Biblical texts & links referencing them?
    I haven't.⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣

Originally Posted by Proverbs 3:5-7 if you truly mean this? then why have you consistently disregarded the Biblical texts & links referencing them?

I haven't.⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣
    well; your response to Jake (# 93) seems rather contradictory to that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    But life doesn't live in the text, the letter of the law kills, the Spirit of the law gives life.
    I still think though that Scripture always gives us a general idea of what to do, but I guess marriage is purely societal?

(sadly) modern society seems to be conforming to the anything goes trend on marriage (secular anyway)

So would you say the lack of sex, a piece of paper, a ceremony, and/or commitment means it is not a marriage?
    No, because it depends on the society one is in and the commitment between the two partners. But if you are missing one, you might not have a marriage. In other words, they are necessary, but not sufficient, for marriage. Is two people having sex a marriage? No. Is a ceremony only? No. We will have some combination of all of these.

For example, most people didn't get the "certificate" until relatively recently in history. For someone living in a tribal/agrarian society, people just got married in a ceremony and made a commitment. This constitutes a marriage.

But, if you live in a society where "the piece of paper" is required for marriage, it is part of marriage because marriage is a social institution that affects other people.

The Bible doesn't define marriage (as a process/societal institution) because it simply cannot. It can define Christian marriage, but not marriage itself. If man/woman marriage is as old as creation, then it's universal. There isn't a need to put exact parameters on it because it happens in all cultures.

Thread Information