cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Power to Become Sons of God - John 1:12

The Power to Become Sons of God - John 1:12

Grace and Peace.

What is your understanding of being given the power to become a son of God?

As a believer, I am a child of God through the Son-ship of Jesus Christ. Christ's relationship with God the Father is unique, yet Christ is the first-born among many brethren. We have died, and been born again for His glory.
    The doctrine spoken of is one that is still developing for me, and I believe it will continue to do so for us all as we are further conformed to the image of Christ.

I speak of the inner man, that which is incorruptible, the new creature whose life is hidden in Christ Jesus. We have been given the power to deal with the old man, to die daily unto ourselves, to surrender the fallen in exchange for the living.
    As we carry our cross, we bear about in the body our Lord Jesus Christ's death, so that His Life may be made manifest to those we preach to.

We have been given the power to become the sons of God. The full manifestation of this is not complete until we are completely transfigured in glorified bodies.
    While in this body which perishes, we identify with Jesus Christ as He walked. A man, in the flesh, wholly trusting in the one true living God.. to be God. We are being made perfect by what we suffer as our weaknesses are exposed. We diminish as He expands.

We go about the Father's business, doing good works as we see the Father doing. The implications are staggering when I really think about this. Our endeavors are eternal, and of the most serious nature.

Consider this: John 5:18 Because of this, therefore, the Jews lusted the more to kill Him, for not only did He break the sabbath, but also called God His own Father, making Himself equal to God.
    Who do you and I say our Father is? What is it we are declaring when we say, God is our Father?

When we say that God is our Father, we are declaring to be one with him. We are declaring that we are walking with Him. We are proclaiming that our words and deeds are in agreement with his.
    Based on this, we are therefore led to declare His will unto others as did our Lord Jesus Christ! We can declare unto others the Truth understanding that God the Father will not only support that which we say and do, but will confirm our words and deeds with signs following. Thus our ministries are 3-fold, just as our Lord's. Prophet, Priest, and King.

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart! For they shall see God.

The pure in heart which 'see' God, perceive Him through the eyes of their understanding. This occurs as we seek to purify ourselves, even as He is pure.
    We can begin to perceive what our Father is up to all around us, as our judgement becomes keener.

We become one with the Father through Christ in us, our hope of glory.

Thoughts?
    Romans 12:9 Let love be without dissimulation...

In Christ, Love Al.

Re: The Power to Become Sons of God - John 1:12

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: I believe the power that is given unto those who receive the Word of God is faith. Faith is always present when the Word is proclaimed, but that faith must be acted upon to become a child of God. Not every one who receives faith after hearing the truth acts upon it. I remember when I was very young I heard the Gospel at a Christian concert, but I did not act upon it to get saved. It was not until many years later, and after going to an assemblies of God Church that I acted upon that faith that I received many years before. That power had stayed with me all that time. Amazing the depths the Lord goes through to save people, right up to the point of death. Mercy and grace beyond our comprehension.

Brother Cuban, I have always believed in what the Lord has given His Church from the beginning which is where God finished all his works. We have been blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ, and God has already given us all things that pertain to life and Godliness through the knowledge of him who has called us to Glory, and virtue. My understanding of spiritual growth as a believer changed when the Lord spoke to me one day as I was meditating on this subject. The Lord said to me, "Stop trying to be the man you are not, and start acting like the man you already are" I had been believing by faith in many areas of my life except in spiritual growth. I never realized it until the Lord revealed this unto me. I always thought that I was slowly becoming more Christ like as I grew in the Lord, but the truth is we are already created in the image of Him. God sees us holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: That was a revelation to me, and now I understand that spiritual growth is not slowly becoming Christ like, but my growth is in my understanding of who I already am. My actions in my life are based on who I understand I am, and not what I am becoming. If I think I am becoming more Christ like then I will never get there because I will always see myself not like God sees me. Just thought I would share that with you.

We don't have that power. Salvation is wholly of God by grace on the basis of the redemption of Jesus Christ, the merit of his shed blood, and not on the basis of human merit or works (John 1:12; Eph. 1:4–7; 2:8–10; 1 Pet. 1:18–19).
    I know what I know
    I know what I don't know
    I don't know what I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban View Post
    Grace and Peace.

What is your understanding of being given the power to become a son of God?

Thoughts?
    When we search scripture to find God's purpose with man we find that man was made for, and given four major tasks. They were;
    • To be in God's image and likeness, that is, in all the man was to do and say, he would display God's character
    • To subdue and rule the earth with its environs of sea and sky, and all that is in them, including the Serpent
    • To fence about and bring to order a Garden of Pleasure where a holy God could have untainted fellowship with His man
    • To be a Bride or Companion of, and up to the standard of, God's Son Jesus (a Help "meet")

The way man was constructed was to perfect for the purpose. He was given a physical body to display an unseen God. He was given a soul to think, decide and feel like God, and he was given a spirit through which God, also a Spirit, could dwell in him and communicate with Him (Gen.2:7; 1st Thess.5:23)

Before man sinned, he was a perfect man. But as the four things listed above were too demanding for a mere man, even in perfection, he needed something more added to him. He needed to eat of the Tree of Life. To eat of something means taking it in the mouth, chewing it and allowing it to become organically one with the eater via the digestive system. The Tree of Life is Jesus in His humanity. Man needed our Lord Jesus' humanity for the following reasons;
    • Our Lord's Jesus' humanity displayed not only human attributes, but divine attributes as well (Jn.14:9)
    • Our Lord Jesus, though a man, and lower than the angels, was equipped to subdue a greater enemy than mere man (Jn.14:30; Heb.2:14)
    • Our Lord Jesus WAS the place of unsullied fellowship between God and man - the Temple of God (Jn.2:21)
    • Our Lord Jesus is 100% man because He came from Mary (Gen.1:11-12). But He is also 100% God because He came from the Holy Spirit (Matt.1:18; Lk.1:35) by the same principle of Genesis 1:11-12. So His Bride would have to be a mixture of humanity and divinity (2nd Pet.1:4).

So we see that despite man being a perfect man, and displaying perfect humanity, he also needed to partake of God's life to display the divine attributes as well. So he was put in front of the Tree of Life and "commanded" to eat. If he had eaten his spirit would have had something added to it to enable man to be up to God's standard, or "meet" for what was required of him.

The sad and gory story is well known. Man did NOT eat of the Tree of Life, sinned and became subject to death. All God's creatures display God to some extent or another (Rom.1:20), EXCEPT man. He displays Satan most of the time. So God, ever mindful of His purpose with man, starts a work of recovery. The main hindrances to recovering man were;
    1. Sin. Sin causes death (Rom.6:23) and alienates man from God, for He is a Holy God.
    2. Death. As God is Life, man's death was diametrically opposed to displaying God.
    3. The ravages of a fallen nature. Man not only displayed death and dirt, but these had an effect on his character that made him corrupt, dishonest, selfish, lazy, a liar, warlike, disloyal and unforgiving.

The solution to the first two above was effected by our Lord Jesus without any input by the man. Our Lord Jesus pays for all men's sins and is resurrected from the dead, enabling Him to impart life to dead men. But after all these works, man was still dead and ravaged by a singularly corrupt nature. So, having put away sin and death, our Lord Jesus applies a third solution to combat the corruption. He puts His LIFE into any man that wants it by a REBIRTH of the man's spirit. This can only be done after the hindering factors of sin and death are put aside, and our Lord Jesus makes the condition of receiving this NEW BIRTH, faith in Him and His work. And to avoid mingling His beautiful and holy LIFE with man's corrupt life, He allows only the spirit of man to be reborn (Jn.3:6).

Because this rebirth is effected by God through His Holy Spirit, man is automatically a SON OF GOD. 1 Peter 1:23 tells us; "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." The "Word of God" is;
    1. God Himself (jn.1:1)
    2. Our Lord Jesus (Jn.1:14)
    3. The Holy Spirit (Jn.6:63)
    4. Life (Jn.6:63; Rom.8:10)

So John 1:12 says; "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:" The power is something proceeding from God to enable a mere man to be organically changed, albeit only in his spirit, from a mere man who has his birth out of a woman, to a man who has his birth out of a woman AND out of the Holy Spirit. This was the discussion between our Lord Jesus and Nicodemus in John Chapter 3. Man is born ONCE from a woman, and ONCE AGAIN from the Holy Spirit - IF HE BELIEVES IN THE NAME OF JESUS. Believing in the name of Jesus means you believe everything attached to that name, for the name is the Person and all that He is, all that He has achieved, and His designated position.

And because of the principle of Genesis 1:11-12, where everything must produce according to its seed, the man, BORN of God, BORN of a divine SEED, must be a "SON OF GOD".

Being a son of God has dual implications. (1) You have God's life, and (2) you are in line for an inheritance.

After this rebirth there is of course a process whereby the Holy Spirit, in the human spirit, starts to work to change the corrupt man (2nd Cor.3:18; Rom.12:2 etc.). You have alluded to this process in your original posting, but I only address the "power to become sons of God."

These are my thoughts as you requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: I believe the power that is given unto those who receive the Word of God is faith. Faith is always present when the Word is proclaimed, but that faith must be acted upon to become a child of God. Not every one who receives faith after hearing the truth acts upon it. I remember when I was very young I heard the Gospel at a Christian concert, but I did not act upon it to get saved. It was not until many years later, and after going to an assemblies of God Church that I acted upon that faith that I received many years before. That power had stayed with me all that time. Amazing the depths the Lord goes through to save people, right up to the point of death. Mercy and grace beyond our comprehension.
    Brother Curtis, I can appreciate this. If no gift is given to man that is not from above, then faith in action is surely no exception. The Father draws us, we believe, and we are empowered to continue believing and all that entails.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Brother Cuban, I have always believed in what the Lord has given His Church from the beginning which is where God finished all his works. We have been blessed with all spiritual blessings in Christ, and God has already given us all things that pertain to life and Godliness through the knowledge of him who has called us to Glory, and virtue. My understanding of spiritual growth as a believer changed when the Lord spoke to me one day as I was meditating on this subject. The Lord said to me, "Stop trying to be the man you are not, and start acting like the man you already are" I had been believing by faith in many areas of my life except in spiritual growth. I never realized it until the Lord revealed this unto me. I always thought that I was slowly becoming more Christ like as I grew in the Lord, but the truth is we are already created in the image of Him. God sees us holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: That was a revelation to me, and now I understand that spiritual growth is not slowly becoming Christ like, but my growth is in my understanding of who I already am. My actions in my life are based on who I understand I am, and not what I am becoming. If I think I am becoming more Christ like then I will never get there because I will always see myself not like God sees me. Just thought I would share that with you.
    Thank you brother. This is very interesting! My eyebrows raised, and this rings true to me. I am a bit short on time and would like to do your revelation justice, so please excuse my brevity.

I will say that I see no separation between justification and sanctification. We are justified as blameless through the blood of Christ, but a babe is not a man. For a babe only knows in part, and can only know in full when he Becomes a man of full stature.
    The question is, is that Becoming our understanding of our identity in Christ Jesus? Or is that Becoming the work of the Holy Spirit from rebirth to glorification?

Love to you.

In Christ, Love Al.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban View Post
    Brother Curtis, I can appreciate this. If no gift is given to man that is not from above, then faith in action is surely no exception. The Father draws us, we believe, and we are empowered to continue believing and all that entails. Thank you brother. This is very interesting! My eyebrows raised, and this rings true to me. I am a bit short on time and would like to do your revelation justice, so please excuse my brevity. I will say that I see no separation between justification and sanctification. We are justified as blameless through the blood of Christ, but a babe is not a man. For a babe only knows in part, and can only know in full when he Becomes a man of full stature. The question is, is that Becoming our understanding of our identity in Christ Jesus? Or is that Becoming the work of the Holy Spirit from rebirth to glorification? Love to you.
    Jesus even being a very young man always knew who he was. I do not believe Jesus had a revelation while learning from the Word that he was the Christ, the Son God. Within himself that understanding was always there. His physical mind did grow in Wisdom just like our minds need to be renewed to truth. You hit the nail on the head when you said that "a babe only knows in part". Knowing is everything in the Kingdom of God, this is how we became born again by finding out what the Lord had done for us through the gospel (information). Jesus destroyed death by bringing life and immortality to light through the gospel. Information (the gospel) destroys not knowing (no information) Death is simply not knowing who or what we have in Christ, and what God has given unto from the beginning. Isa 64:4 "For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him." This is where Paul quoted in the New Testament almost the same thing except he did not mention that this information had been kept secret from the beginning of the world. No man was capable to receive it because he was spiritual dead, and it could only be revealed by the Holy Spirit. God paid a huge price in order to be able to communicate these things to us. Our knowing is in part, but when we become a man we put away childish things, and thinking. You can see that our growth is in our knowing, and not in our stature of Christ. You can be an old baby in Christ, and that is only because we lack information. Babies simply don't know much. Maturity comes from understanding and knowing from the Word of God that is revealed to us. Our actions are a result of our knowing. If my knowing is correct then my actions will follow my knowing. We are the man we see in the mirror of God's Word, and not what we are becoming. James 1:23 "For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:" James 1:24 "For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was." Notice, our being a doer of the Word (our actions) is based on who we see we are. The man who does not act like Christ is the man who has forgotten what manner of man he was, he is only a hearer. Faith always believes in what it has now, not someday.
    Last edited by Curtis; Dec 6th 2013 at 12:26 PM.

For me it's a simple concept. God places a very powerful desire on a person's heart so strong it cannot be resisted. If you are one of God's elect you know what I'm talking about.
    I know what I know
    I know what I don't know
    I don't know what I don't know.

The power to be son's of God, the rebirth, the new man, the Christ in us ... this is the power given to us by/from God.
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

God and man, a King and a Prince, a Master and a servant, a Father and a son.

The power, the right, the privilege, the gift, of Becoming a Son of God is given in its entirety upon the new birth. The totality of the Father's riches in glory in Christ Jesus is here, now. His grace knows no bounds.
    The heavens have been opened and the Comforter has arrived to illuminate our paths and guide us into all truth. God's Holy Spirit increases our understanding as who we are destined to be is lovingly revealed.

Yet that Becoming conveys a spiritual process of growing in grace, as we Become, more and more like a son with whom a Father is well-pleased. That Becoming occurs for some in baby steps, and others in grand leaps.
    We are each of us unique, and so our relationship with the Father is equally singular. Some have a heart after God like David, and others struggle with truly loving Him like Peter. Some must die so that they may live, and yet others betray the Lord with a kiss.

Paul tells us that we are no longer debtors to the will of our flesh which is death, but debtors to a heavenly Father that has given us His spirit which is life. Paul says we who are led by the Father are truly sons indeed.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

As a child of God one may bear the titles of prince and heir, yet despise their inheritance for the pleasures of the flesh.

Gen 25:31 And Jacob said, Sell me your birthright today.
    Gen 25:32 And Esau said, Behold, I am going to die, and what good is this, a birthright to me?

Can I proclaim to be a son of God and display disdain for the inheritance given me? If the prodigal son does not come home, can he sit at his father's table?

In Christ, Love Al.

2Co 3:16 "but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away." 2Co 3:17 "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." 2Co 3:18 "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit." (NASB) Who do we see when we look in a mirror? We see our self's. and what do we see in our self's that the new birth caused? A new man created in true Holiness, born by the incorruptible seed of the Word of God. A new man who is created after the image, and likeness of his own heavenly Father, a new man who can not sin. We are seeing in the mirror the Glory of God that is living , and dwelling within each of his children. Eph 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us," Eph 3:21 "to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." Is that Glory that is inside each of us changing or becoming more perfect every day? Our behavior and our actions of this new man are changing as we continually see, and come to the understanding of what God has made us to be. We need to see our self's as God see's us or we will never come into who we are, not looking at the things seen, but at the things that not seen by faith. The power to change our behavior is perfect in us.

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

We are given the gift of the Holy Spirit. He transforms us into the image of Christ. We have the choice whether to follow His guidance.

blessings,

Watchman
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

The few who become sons of God from all who receive Christ may be in reference to those who forsake all to follow Christ as He walked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For me it's a simple concept. God places a very powerful desire on a person's heart so strong it cannot be resisted. If you are one of God's elect you know what I'm talking about.
    Your notion completely removes any vestige of personal responsibility from man. A personal responsibility that is emphasised in almost every page of the bible since God made Adam.

John1v10He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

11He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
    To "not receive him" indicates that they had the opportunity to do so, but chose to declined. Therefore the responsibility was theirs alone!

12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
    This bunch faced with that same opportunity responded positively, entirely of their own freewill! They were not given some magic dust that crushed their resistance.

Romans1v20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
    If God doesn't give someone your magic dust that overcomes their resistance, then, in complete contradiction to Romans1 above they have an absolutely rock solid legal excuse for not accepting the Lord.

"Its not my fault I'm a non christian, God didn't make me one!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post

We are given the gift of the Holy Spirit. He transforms us into the image of Christ. We have the choice whether to follow His guidance.

blessings,

Watchman
    Well stated facts of life in Christ!

Thread Information