cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noah movie not following the bible?

Blog Entries

Noah movie not following the bible?

I was scrolling through facebook and one of my friends on there, another church member, had shared a link on Christians signing some petition about the new Noah movie coming out, saying its not following the bible exactly...or as close as it should be. So I did a search on it to see what was going on. While The Blaze is not news site I would normally ever share, it seemed to about the only choice on this other then Fox news:

Will ‘Noah’ Film Radically Depart From the Biblical Story? Christian Group Pens Open Letter to Hollywood Amid Big Debate

It had a few trailers in there but I really don't know how anyone can know if the movie is going to follow the bible exactly when its not even out yet. Comes out later in March...which since its that soon, I would say it a little too late (way too late) to make any major changes to it. Does anyone know more about this?

Truth be there is only ONE Christian movie that exactly follows scripture and that is Gospel of John..though some didn't like it because the actor has a British accent...something obviously Jesus wouldn't have. People can get real particular about these things, which I understand...but personally I think its great to have something of the bible out there, even if its not completely accurate. Most of us still buy and watch many, many Christian movies even though they simply aren't accurate anyway.

Watching the Indian Jones movie Raiders of the Lost Ark got me looking in the bible for more information on the ark...I was not a bible reader at all. After my dad died when I was a kid, I pretty much grew up in the world with no spiritual guidance. It wasn't that I had forgotten everything I read in it when I was a kid, I knew just enough to find it in the bible where they talked about the ark. You never know what might spur an interest in the bible for people to want to know more and actually read it.

I want to see it anyway and see for myself. But I am really confused what is so off about this movie that its gotten so many to sign a petition for it to be changed and be more accurate.
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Re: Noah movie not following the bible?

I've been curious about how accurate it will be also. It seems lately that the Bible movies have been a little closer to the scripture. Why would they want to alienate the target audience who is going to spend the most money? As for Jesus having an English accent, I'm pretty sure that He didn't speak English either.

A major motion picture not faithfully reflecting the biblical record and message? No......I refuse to accept that possibility.

Blog Entries

I read somewhere that in screenings of it there were references to some type of environmentalism theme, that the flood happened because of global warming, or something like that.

There's always a twist, like in The Passion where one of the disciples asks Mary (Jesus' mother) for forgiveness of something. I mean I liked that movie, but it still had a Catholic twist to it, since Mel Gibson is a Catholic.
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    I've been curious about how accurate it will be also. It seems lately that the Bible movies have been a little closer to the scripture. Why would they want to alienate the target audience who is going to spend the most money? As for Jesus having an English accent, I'm pretty sure that He didn't speak English either.
    lol well yea He didn't speak english let alone old english...but in order for English speaking people to understand it, I can understand why an actor would speak English in it. In the Passion of the Christ, they spoke the actual language of the time, with subtitles for us english speaking people to read. I thought it was pretty interesting, but again there were many Christians that didn't like for movie for many reasons, everything from not liking the actor that played Christ, to it following a vision of a nun and not following scripture exactly.

A major motion picture not faithfully reflecting the biblical record and message? No......I refuse to accept that possibility.
    Yea... how about that.

The thing is on some bible stories..in order to make it into a movie script, there has to be things filled in. Like we know everyone except Noah and his family were extremely wicked. Did they really stand around when the flood came and did nothing? There is no details about Noah actually building the ark...or who in his family helped and how they helped and how long it took. Alot of little things that would have to be filled in to make it into a movie. So I can understand the fill in's.

Anyway I checked out the links on that article and on the petition that my friend posted on facebook. It was like following a rabbits hole. One link let to another and to another and all I got out of it was 'some' who saw early screenings of it said it didn't follow the bible exactly. One place said it promoted taking care of the earth, another said it talked about over population. God didn't this because the earth was overpopulated. At any rate I am not going to sign a petition based on second and third hand hearsay. Its too late anyway for them to do any editing of the movie...
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

I have heard on KLOVE that while the movie "Noah" does follow the Noah story, it does have some added things in it such as Noah is worried about over population and the environment

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjmn View Post
    I have heard on KLOVE that while the movie "Noah" does follow the Noah story, it does have some added things in it such as Noah is worried about over population and the environment

Yup, that's pretty much the big hooplah over the Noah film so far: that the Hollywood Leftist Elite couldn't resist squeezing in messages about overpopulation and climate change in there. How absurd can you possibly get?

As long as the base premise is true to the Word, I don't know if there is really an issue. For example..... only Noah's family is saved, GOD caused the flood.

Over population ? ..... In Noah's day ? LOL !! Mexico City hadn't even been discovered yet

Quote Originally Posted by Senormac View Post
    Over population ? ..... In Noah's day ? LOL !! Mexico City hadn't even been discovered yet
    Actually depending on how you calculate the population. If Adam and Eve had a child ever twenty years after Seth for 400 years, then that brings the population up to 80. If those children who lived to close to those same ages had the same spread - then those 80 would become 40 pairs having a further 80 kids each, then that means that Adam and Eve could have 3,200 grandchildren. Which is when people started calling the Name of the Lord.
    If those grandchildren carried on in the same way then that would mean 120,000 great grandchildren.
    If those followed suit, then that would mean Kenan's generation would live amongst 5,000,000 people approximately.
    6 more generations until Noah - so at the above rate of explosion
    it would be 5x40x40x40x40x40x40 followed by 6 0's. That is 20,480,000,000,000,000 people. Assuming that the earlier generations down to Kenan died that still leaves 20,000,000,000,000,000 people which is significantly more than the population of the world.
    Let's scale it back a bit. Let's have a family with 10 children as the average
    So with 9 generations the figure is 5 to the power of 9 or 5x5x5x5x5x5x5x5x5. This is equal to 1953125 people or close to two million.
    If we have a figure of 20 children, then it becomes 1,000,000,000 people - one billion.
    Reduce it to Noah's small family of 4 pairs then it becomes 4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4 or around 250,000 people still alive.
    Personally I think Noah's family wasn't the normal size - Gen 4 and 10 have the normal number of sons as higher than 4 so the low side would be 250,000 people and the upper end is more than presently live on the earth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vakeros View Post
    Actually depending on how you calculate the population. If Adam and Eve had a child ever twenty years after Seth for 400 years, then that brings the population up to 80. If those children who lived to close to those same ages had the same spread - then those 80 would become 40 pairs having a further 80 kids each, then that means that Adam and Eve could have 3,200 grandchildren. Which is when people started calling the Name of the Lord.
    If those grandchildren carried on in the same way then that would mean 120,000 great grandchildren.
    If those followed suit, then that would mean Kenan's generation would live amongst 5,000,000 people approximately.
    6 more generations until Noah - so at the above rate of explosion
    it would be 5x40x40x40x40x40x40 followed by 6 0's. That is 20,480,000,000,000,000 people. Assuming that the earlier generations down to Kenan died that still leaves 20,000,000,000,000,000 people which is significantly more than the population of the world.
    Let's scale it back a bit. Let's have a family with 10 children as the average
    So with 9 generations the figure is 5 to the power of 9 or 5x5x5x5x5x5x5x5x5. This is equal to 1953125 people or close to two million.
    If we have a figure of 20 children, then it becomes 1,000,000,000 people - one billion.
    Reduce it to Noah's small family of 4 pairs then it becomes 4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4 or around 250,000 people still alive.
    Personally I think Noah's family wasn't the normal size - Gen 4 and 10 have the normal number of sons as higher than 4 so the low side would be 250,000 people and the upper end is more than presently live on the earth.
    Ok..lets say that is right, all these people could not have been living at the same time though...even though they did have longer (really long!) life spans. I always thought the population was fairly small at the time. Noah was six hundred years old...yet only had three sons and their wives...no grandchildren. By then he should have had generations of great grandchildren.

Yup, that's pretty much the big hooplah over the Noah film so far: that the Hollywood Leftist Elite couldn't resist squeezing in messages about overpopulation and climate change in there. How absurd can you possibly get?
    Well actually there WAS a huge climate change at the time of the flood.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post

love Spock!

And that movie was really good. Great special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjmn View Post
    LOL. this demonstrates just how small the minds of men really are. i won't be going to see the movie.
    "Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you..."
    Acts 26:16

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up..."
    daniel 3

http://jason-beth-babynickel.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

I plan on seeing it ..first because I think having any part of the bible out there is a good thing and second to see if what they are saying is true.
    Last edited by moonglow; Feb 25th 2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: fixing my spelling. ugh.

Thread Information