Thread: Have Any Fruit?

Have Any Fruit?

Jesus said in John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

The correct analogy of fruit in scripture is very important. In John 15 fruit is the result of being attached to the vine. It's what would result from relationship and fellowship with Christ. We could say it's the fruit of the Spirit. Gal 5:22-23 ...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. To say the fruit in John 15 is Christians bringing forth more Christians is incorrect and is to misuse the illustration Jesus has given there. Christ is the vine, we are the branches. When we bring forth fruit we make the vine appealing to other branches that need to be grafted in. Only The Vine can give life. Our purpose is Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. Fruit makes the vine appealing and the preaching of the gospel effective. Sharing the gospel without making the vine look appealing is like offering salvation with out a Savior and more likely to bring forth religion than relationship.

We as the Apostle Paul in Romans 1:15 are a debtor to the whole world. A debtor is an ower, in this case a person indebted to the spiritually and morally delinquent of the world. Paul recognized himself a debtor to every person. So also should we. When someone is owed something they expect to be paid, but what Christians owe the people in the world most of them don't even see as a need. That means we first have to show them their need. This goes back to the analogy of fruit discussed previously. We who are the branches must show how important it is to be attached to the vine by bringing forth much fruit. It is especially important in a culture like America where the name of Christ is common, but the true advantages of knowing Him are uncommon. One thing that distinguishes true Christians is fruit. If we wish to see others truly converted to Christ we're going to have to bring forth fruit.

Blog Entries

Re: Have Any Fruit?

Quote Originally Posted by alewiscii View Post
    Jesus said in John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

The correct analogy of fruit in scripture is very important. In John 15 fruit is the result of being attached to the vine. It's what would result from relationship and fellowship with Christ. We could say it's the fruit of the Spirit. Gal 5:22-23 ...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. To say the fruit in John 15 is Christians bringing forth more Christians is incorrect and is to misuse the illustration Jesus has given there. Christ is the vine, we are the branches. When we bring forth fruit we make the vine appealing to other branches that need to be grafted in. Only The Vine can give life. Our purpose is Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. Fruit makes the vine appealing and the preaching of the gospel effective. Sharing the gospel without making the vine look appealing is like offering salvation with out a Savior and more likely to bring forth religion than relationship.

We as the Apostle Paul in Romans 1:15 are a debtor to the whole world. A debtor is an ower, in this case a person indebted to the spiritually and morally delinquent of the world. Paul recognized himself a debtor to every person. So also should we. When someone is owed something they expect to be paid, but what Christians owe the people in the world most of them don't even see as a need. That means we first have to show them their need. This goes back to the analogy of fruit discussed previously. We who are the branches must show how important it is to be attached to the vine by bringing forth much fruit. It is especially important in a culture like America where the name of Christ is common, but the true advantages of knowing Him are uncommon. One thing that distinguishes true Christians is fruit. If we wish to see others truly converted to Christ we're going to have to bring forth fruit.
    A very insightful and accurate interpretation of the Scripture. I concur that the culture of appearing godly only on the surface is not limited to America alone. Sadly, it is openly practiced among many self professed Christians in and outside the church, including the clergy. Paul described them in 2 Timothy 3:5 as "having a form of godliness, but rejecting the power thereof...."

Amen! I enjoyed reading the OP, as well.

The only thing I have a comment on is, if we are truly converted to Christ, we WILL bring forth good Fruit ("we will know them by their Fruit").

Quote Originally Posted by alewiscii View Post

Amen, and God bless you.
    We all need to hear this same message preached everyday from every roof top until Jesus returns !

God bless and have mercy on us.

Very good!! Very good!! Fruit is a by-product of abiding in/with Christ. You can't make it grow..... it just grows naturally and by itself..... which lets us know that fruit should never be our focus..... attention to Him is our focus

Quote Originally Posted by Senormac View Post
    Very good!! Very good!! Fruit is a by-product of abiding in/with Christ. You can't make it grow..... it just grows naturally and by itself..... which lets us know that fruit should never be our focus..... attention to Him is our focus
    That's a good point. Focusing on our fruit would not produce fruit but pride.

I read somewhere this week that humbleness is shy, once you start talking about it, it disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Senormac View Post
    Amen! Apart from Him we can do nothing. All Christians are fruitful, but not all are equally fruitful. Matthew 13:23 - But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Thread Information