Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tools For Evangilsm

Blog Entries

Re: Tools For Evangilsm

True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Blog Entries

I stole this from @mailmandan, wonderful image brother!

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? Indeed, you are our glory and joy.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    I stole this from @mailmandan, wonderful image brother!

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? Indeed, you are our glory and joy.
    I love that picture!
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Music can be used for Evangilsm.

It can also uplift, edify and give hope to the soul. We can express our love for God on a completely different level.

Sometimes it's just what we need. I've posted this before, but it better suited to this thread.

I couldn't agree with you more. Prior to conversion to Christ I was, among other things, a secular recording artist. Years after my conversion, no longer interested in writing and recording music, the Lord placed it in my heart to write songs which glorified Him. Without any training, never having attempted to play keyboard instruments, I began composing on a child's used synthesizer. Within the next two years, three albums were the result! I am now in the process of creating videos of several of the songs. To me, music has the power to lift the spirit. It is one of the innumerable gifts God has graciously given us which can enrich our lives immeasurably.

Blog Entries

I would love to listen to them, do you have any on YouTube?

I was just listening to a song last night ( secular ) and it's a great tune, but I wish it had Christian lyrics to it, then it would have been a truely amazing song.

One of Gods gifts to us I think is music, it's just so disappointing so see what we have done with it. ( from the secular worlds perspective )

I look forward to hearing some of your material!

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

I would love to listen to them, do you have any on YouTube?

I was just listening to a song last night ( secular ) and it's a great tune, but I wish it had Christian lyrics to it, then it would have been a truely amazing song.

One of Gods gifts to us I think is music, it's just so disappointing so see what we have done with it. ( from the secular worlds perspective )

I look forward to hearing some of your material!
    I am in the process of putting some finishing touches on the videos, and will definitely let you know when they can be viewed!

Law of non-contradiction

The Law of non-contradiction is one of the basic laws in classical logic. It states that something cannot be both true and not true at the same time when dealing with the same context. For example, the chair in my living room--right now--cannot be made of wood and not made of wood at the same time. In the law of non-contradiction, where we have a set of statements about a subject, we cannot have any of the statements in that set negate the truth of any other statement in that same set. For example, we have a set of two statements about Judas. 1) Judas hanged himself. 2) Judas fell down, and his bowels spilled out. Neither statement about Judas contradicts the other. That is, neither statement makes the other impossible because neither excludes the possibility of the other. The statements can be harmonized by stating: Judas hanged himself, and then his body fell down, and his bowels spilled out.

In order to make the set of statements contradictory, we would have something like: 1) Judas hanged himself. 2) Judas did not hang himself. Since either statement excludes the possibility of the other, we would then have a contradiction since both could not be true. However, to say that Judas hanged himself and Judas fell are not contradictory since both could occur.

https://carm.org/dictionary-law-of-non-contradiction

A cannot be A and not A at the same time

Excellent point you make that seeming 'contradictions' in the Bible are not contradictions at all. I was once leading a Bible study at a local bookstore, when a patron heard our conversation. He came to our table and, in an angry tone, accused Christianity of hypocritical contradiction. His argument was as follows: "Christians say, God loves everyone. Then why does a God who loves us, send many of those He loves to an eternity of Hellfire? Where's the love in that?" I could fully understand his argument. Unfortunately, he didn't have the time or inclination to stick around to discuss the issue. He, like so many, would like an answer in sound bite form, which could easily accommodate his short attention span.

Blog Entries

A friend of mine wrote this, thought I would share. Comments always welcome

A Brief Defense of Sola Scriptura – Part I

Scott Trimble

“For what saith the scripture?” Ro.4:3

Over the next few weeks I hope to briefly answer a series of objections raised against Sola Scriptura by Roman Catholic apologist, Dave Armstrong, in his essay, 10-Point Biblical Refutation of Sola Scriptura.

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/darms...sola-scriptura

In doing so I trust, by God’s grace alone, I will show “gentleness” 1Pt.3:15 towards a fellow image bearer of God, as “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” Pro.15:1, and “respect” 1Pt.3:15 in a reverential awe of the Most High God. Lastly, perhaps, you and I will become more steadfast and confident in the Reformed teaching of Sola Scriptura.

What is Sola Scriptura?

The belief that “the Bible is the sole and sufficient authority by which all matters of faith and practice may be settled.” [1] As the Baptist Confession of Faith (BCF) states the Scriptures are “the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience,” and it is “The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men.” [2] However, this does not mean we should not look for guidance from others. But it does mean that we recognize only the Scriptures as an infallible guide and all else as limited and able to err.

Over against this is the Roman Catholic position of “Bible+Church+Tradition.” As The Profession of Catholic Faith teaches in article 12 “I will never accept or interpret it [Scripture] in a manner different from the unanimous agreement of the Fathers.” http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.c.../#.WH5SQsvEihB

What happens when the Fathers are not unanimous?

Objection #1. It’s Not Taught in the Bible

Dave does state that “Scripture is materially sufficient” and a synonym of sufficient is the word complete [3]. Likewise, sufficient may be defined as, Enough; equal to the end product. If Scripture is complete and enough, why is there the need to go elsewhere? He then concludes “no [single] biblical passage teaches that Scripture is the sole rule of faith.” I would argue, no single biblical passage teaches that Scripture, Church and Tradition are collectively said to be the sole rule of faith.

As the exhaustive nature of the Godhead, i.e the Trinity, is not explicitly taught in a single Bible passage, but is logically deduced from the sum total of revealed truth; likewise, the reality of sola scriptura. In fact, this is true of most doctrines and is part of what the science of systematic theology[4] is all about.

Examined as a whole, Scripture does implicitly and logically state the concept of sola scriptura.

“All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2Tim. 3:16-17.

This text from Second Timothy will be looked at more deeply during Objection #8, but for now it is important to note that it is Scripture alone which is “inspired by God”. The word, θεόπνευστος[5] , is used only one time in the NT and it is utilized only in conjunction with the Scripture. It is simply because it is Scripture alone which is so inspired that it alone is “profitable for teaching,” so that the people of God will be “adequate, equipped.” Should one conclude this is only true of the OT, elsewhere we are informed that the Gospels and Epistles are also classed as Scripture (1Tim.5:18b; cf. Lk.10:7b; 2Pt. 3:15-16).

If all this is said of the Scriptures why seek a substandard tradition which is not “inspired” on this level - remember nowhere does the Bible say traditions, oral or written, are so “inspired” - and has supposedly been passed down alongside the Bible for millennia? We do not need these as the Scriptures are sufficient. I do not wish to sound overly harsh towards Dave, but it would seem that these traditions are a form of Gnosticism – secret knowledge[6]. This is akin to the oral traditions of the Pharisees which, in time, were recorded in the Talmud and have given us the religion of Judaism today. These are supposedly oral teachings Moses gave outside of the written record. (more will be said regarding “traditions” later)

In this same epistle, Paul’s last, he also encourages Timothy to “accurately handle the word of truth” 2:15 which he, Paul, has sent in two epistles, and to “preach” this same word of truth, 4:2.

Ninety times[7] in the NT the Scriptures are revealed to be the final authority by the phrase, “It is written,” this does not even include its usage in the OT. Never is oral tradition appealed to as the sole and final arbitrator of truth.

In other places we are warned “not to exceed what has been written” 1 Cor.4:6 and not to “add to which I am commanding you, nor take away from it” Dt.4:2; cp. Dt.12:32; Pr. 30:5-6; Re. 22:18-19. As the lesson from the type (Israel) proves, when tradition is added it oftentimes has the effect of “invalidat[ing] the word of God” Mt.15:3-6. As in the case of the Pharisees, traditions tend to take precedent over Scripture.

In regards to the Christians at Berea we are informed “They received the word [Paul’s teaching] with great eagerness,” then what did they do? They proceeded in “examining the Scriptures to see whether these things were so” Acts 17:11. The Bereans were commended in that they tested Paul’s preaching against Scripture, i.e. the OT. Scripture, to them, was the final authority to which they appealed! And as Paul said to the Romans, in discussing the manner in which Abraham was justified before a Holy God, “For what does the Scripture say?”Ro.4:3 Time and again we are encouraged to test things by the light of Scripture, not tradition. Scripture is postremus potestatem – the ultimate authority. Never are we encouraged to test things by the light of extra-Biblical revelations!

An interesting side fact is “Early Church Fathers (2nd and 3rd cent.) quoted the Bible 36,289 times in their writings. In fact, their quotations were so frequent that the entire NT (except for 11 verses) can be reconstructed solely from their writings.”[8] Obviously, they had an extremely high regard for the Scriptures.

Endnotes:

1. Alan Cairns, Dictionary of Theological Terms, p 422.

2. BCF 1689 Chapter 1:1, 6. See also WCF Chapter 1 and Savoy Declaration, Chapter 1.

3. Roget’s College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, p 551.

4. Extrapolating then arranging the teachings of Scripture [doctrine] in their internal relation to each other – how the truths of Scripture relate one to another.

5. θεόπνευστος - inspired by God, BAGD, p 357.

6. TDNT vol.I p 692-696; BAGD, p163. Of those in the early centuries who held to secret wisdom it is said they had a “feeling of superiority over all non-gnostics...This may be seen in their extreme claims, e.g. to be theon egnokenai monoi, the only ones to know God (Clem.Alex., Strom. 3, 4, 31)” NIDNTT vol. II p 394.

7. Norman Geisler, Frank Turek, Twelve Points That Show Christianity is True, p 15.

8. The Englishman’s Greek Concordance of the New Testament; Roman Catholics and Evangelicals Agreements and Differences, Norman Geisler and Ralph MacKenzie, p 185.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Watching a tv comedy right now. Pretty tame for Hollywood standards...

The doctor was examining a pregnant woman and briefly said to the women

"You have a creature growing inside of you, of course your nervous."

What a terrible thing to call [ even in jest ] a baby human. A real living human that is dependant on its mother for survival both inside her and when out.

Talk like this helps promote the narrive that when you kill a baby in the womb, your just killing some kind of "creature"

What the difference between us and the ancients when they sacrificed children to the "gods"?

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

https://youtu.be/0OHvyS_DJ_I

25So Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose one ox for yourselves and prepare it first for you are many, and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under it.” 26Then they took the ox which was given them and they prepared it and called on the name of Baal from morning until noon saying, “O Baal, answer us.” But there was no voice and no one answered. And they leaped about the altar which they made. 27It came about at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, “Call out with a loud voice, for he is a god; either he is occupied or gone aside, or is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and needs to be awakened.” 28So they cried with a loud voice and cut themselves according to their custom with swords and lances until the blood gushed out on them. 29When midday was past, they raved until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice; but there was no voice, no one answered, and no one paid attention.

30Then Elijah said to all the people, “Come near to me.” So all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD which had been torn down. 31Elijah took twelve stones according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of the LORD had come, saying, “Israel shall be your name.” 32So with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD, and he made a trench around the altar, large enough to hold two measures of seed. 33Then he arranged the wood and cut the ox in pieces and laid it on the wood. 34And he said, “Fill four pitchers with water and pour it on the burnt offering and on the wood.” And he said, “Do it a second time,” and they did it a second time. And he said, “Do it a third time,” and they did it a third time. 35The water flowed around the altar and he also filled the trench with water.

Elijah’s Prayer

36At the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O LORD, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, today let it be known that You are God in Israel and that I am Your servant and I have done all these things at Your word. 37“Answer me, O LORD, answer me, that this people may know that You, O LORD, are God, and that You have turned their heart back again.” 38Then the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. 39When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, “The LORD, He is God; the LORD, He is God.” 40Then Elijah said to them, “Seize the prophets of Baal; do not let one of them escape.” So they seized them; and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Down came the fire; The Elijah video

https://youtu.be/261s7lbYz9I

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

What about love ? ( this is nice ). Great for the children.

https://youtu.be/JN0yxUtL2p0

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

***this has nothing to do with young earth or dinosaurs.

How to Make America Great Again

by Ken Ham on January 19, 2017
    Tomorrow is Inauguration Day here in the United States. On this day President-elect Donald Trump will become President Trump. He has promised to make America great again. Well, God’s Word tells us exactly how to do that!

To truly make America really great again, Americans need to put God first and turn to His Word as the absolute authority in all areas.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. (Matthew 6:33)
    Thus says the Lord . . . “I am the First and I am the Last; besides Me there is no God.” (Isaiah 44:6)
    Here’s a challenge we can apply to our culture as this new season of leadership begins:

Return to the Lord your God and obey his voice . . . with all your heart and with all your soul. (Deuteronomy 30:2)
    Man—Basically Good?
    Many people believe we don’t need God because man is basically good. But that’s a false assumption.

The imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth. (Genesis 8:21)
    What does God say about man's heart?

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. (Matthew 15:19 ESV)
    The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9)
    Here is God’s Word on those who reject Him:

They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity; there is none who does good. (Psalm 53:1 ESV)
    The only One who is good is God.

No one is good but One, that is, God. (Matthew 19:17)
    As our Creator, God has every right to judge sinful man. And He will judge every person. To all my non-Christian followers, I urge you at this time to consider your life, death, and eternity:

That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
    Is the Majority Right?
    Many people refuse to listen to God’s Word because they’ve bought the culture’s lie that it can’t be trusted. They’ve sided with the majority. But is the majority right?

Well, the majority of doctors once didn't wash their hands after autopsies and before delivering babies—they were wrong! The majority believed the appendix didn’t have a function—they were wrong. The majority of scientists believe in molecules-to-man evolution—the majority is obviously wrong. Just because the majority believes something doesn’t mean it’s right.

If you believe that the majority rules, there can never be truth. What or who determined that the majority rules? What if the majority rules that the majority is not always right? When it comes to things like origins, one should be suspicious of what the majority believes because “men loved darkness rather than light” (John 3:19). The majority of people are on the broad way, “for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it” (Matthew 7:13).

Sadly, many are blinded to the truth of God’s Word because “the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers” (2 Corinthians 4:4 ESV).

God’s Word is the Authority
    We don’t need to be at the mercy of the changing opinions of the majority. God’s Word provides a firm foundation for morality.

Sadly, many Christians are no longer allowing God’s Word to be the authority, and are exalting man’s fallible word over Scripture. We see this clearly when man’s beliefs of millions of years and evolution are forced into the book of Genesis—the very foundation of Scripture and doctrine.

It’s no wonder many people of this generation in the church have embraced gay “marriage,” abortion, premarital sex, and other things Scripture speaks strongly against. Scripture is no longer their authority—man’s word is. As a result, we are seeing a generational loss from the church!

Speaking with Authority
    But when we trust God’s Word, we can use it to speak with authority, just as Jesus did. He didn’t speak to be politically correct but to teach truth—and truth divides.

And they were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority. (Mark 1:22)
    Here’s an example. In the midst of culture confusion, can Christians speak with authority on gender issues? Yes. “But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female’” (Mark 10:6).

Or on marriage:

Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.

And Adam said:

This is now bone of my bones

And flesh of my flesh;

She shall be called Woman,

Because she was taken out of Man.
    Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. (Genesis 2:22–24)
    Consider God’s Word and the Gospel
    God’s Word needs to be our authority. It provides a rock-solid foundation in a culture that changes with each generation. I encourage you to carefully consider Christianity and the Bible. Get answers to your questions at AnswersinGenesis.org or learn more about the gospel at AnswersinGenesis.org/about/good-news.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for praying,
    Ken

This item was written with the assistance of AiG’s research team.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Ken Ham is a great preacher. He actually preached a revival at our church about 3 years ago.

* edit * and an awesome post !!

Thread Information