Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151655 ... LastLast

Thread: Humans Lived with Dinosaurs + G E N E S I S Issues Part 2

Re: Humans Lived with Dinosaurs + G E N E S I S Issues Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    FYI, I got this from ICR the other day.

Thank you for your message and your interest in the work of ICR. I forwarded your message to the author. His reply is below.

Beth Mull, Senior Editor
    Institute for Creation Research

Proclaiming Scientific Truth in Creation

Dear Mr. *****

Thank you for your appreciation for ICR.

I disagree that this skeptic has a point in accusing this article of "lazy or ignorant research.” Whereas I’m not perfect and have made errors, my approach has not been sloppy here. My article did not claim that only the outer surface of ambers darken and that polishing would remove it. Rather, one could extrapolate the known darkening rate of ambers held in museum collections over a century (see references in amber wings article) to easily conclude that ambers should become opaque throughout in a million years. And most ambers have not. Therefore, ambers shouldn’t be a million years old, let alone 100 million. Polishing has nothing to do with darkening. One only needs time and a world (with oxygen).

We welcome feedback and corrections, but I see no discrepancy at all between what I wrote and the Nature article (that I had of course studied before I wrote my article). Yes, the amber was already polished. My point perhaps could have been worded more clearly that even after polishing, this and any other amber that was actually millions of years old should have turned opaque throughout, concealing all inclusions.

In my view, the sloppiness here stems from trying to make our sentence say something it does not express.

Brian
    well, thanks for getting it back to the author. i'd be interested in knowing the details of the extrapolation that lead them to conclude that any given chunk of amber will completely oxidize all the way through within 100 million years. At least this is what the author seems to be saying that they have concluded. I do not believe that any given piece of amber will necessarily oxidize all the way through, I believe it would depend on the particular piece of amber, its in situ environmental conditions and so on and so forth. In other words I don't take the authors word for it that the extrapolation is sound in fact i strongly suspect that it is not and i'd like to see their work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    Both conclusions are compatible with Scripture, either with Genesis 1 or Genesis 6, just depends which you want to pick.
    Could you elaborate a little more of what you mean here?
    Last edited by bluesky22; Jul 19th 2016 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuli View Post
    well, thanks for getting it back to the author. i'd be interested in knowing the details of the extrapolation that lead them to conclude that any given chunk of amber will completely oxidize all the way through within 100 million years. At least this is what the author seems to be saying that they have concluded. I do not believe that any given piece of amber will necessarily oxidize all the way through, I believe it would depend on the particular piece of amber, its in situ environmental conditions and so on and so forth. In other words I don't take the authors word for it that the extrapolation is sound in fact i strongly suspect that it is not and i'd like to see their work.
    No problem Vox, I was curious too. I don't know enough about Amber to say more. Must research it. I think he said based on how they see them turn [darker] in museums (and knowing the time involved ) & extrapolate. Seems to keep getting darker. (?) Lots of assumptions in all this on both sides. I do find it amazing to believe that so much soft tissue is being reported. Now in Amber. How does that survive 100 million + years?

That's along time.

Them being actually young fits the data.

My thoughts anyways.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Coild you elaborate a little more of what you mean here?
    The crowd that doesn't believe the flood created the geological features of the earth that we see today, or that the flood was local, will appeal to Genesis 1 - the earth we see today is the earth God created. The folks that do believe the flood created the geological features of the earth that we see today, will appeal to Genesis 6 - the earth we see today is the earth God created, but it was significantly transformed through the flood.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    The crowd that doesn't believe the flood created the geological features of the earth that we see today, or that the flood was local, will appeal to Genesis 1 - the earth we see today is the earth God created. The folks that do believe the flood created the geological features of the earth that we see today, will appeal to Genesis 6 - the earth we see today is the earth God created, but it was significantly transformed through the flood.

I see, thanks for clarifying friend. although I completely understand what you are saying, I must humbly add a small *caveat.

But first , I have no problem with any man who does not, or cannot agree -to this perspective- even after investigation. If you know the Gospel, and know Jesus, this issue is secondary for you. But if issues in Genesis are stopping you from finding Jesus, read on.

*In my minds eye, I am having trouble seeing how folks can "separate" 1 & 6 like this, as they are intended to go together, but yet are very different. They are talking about completly two different things. Gen 1 being the "macro-view" and Gen 6 "zooming" in a little.

Anyone is more than welcome to deny the physical reality of Gen 6 [what it plainly says & means, that being, that a global flood wiped out all of mankind and all land animals from the earth except for the Mighty 8 and what was on the Ark.] but their or my belief does not necessarily make it true. The truth is there. Sitting. Waiting to be discovered.

Either there was global flood or there was not. It's relatively simple. Where do you stand on this?

Do you really see no evidence for a global flood?

Creatures and vegetation entombed & solidified mud, turning to fossils all over the globe?

Global flood legends of amazing similarity?

Fossil fuels? (massive amounts buried organic material)

The list goes on & on.

The world does not end when we change our view on this.

But it does get a whole lot clearer.

My mission, btw, is not to cause strife with the elect, nor drive away unbelievers, but to simply show another view that completely compliments scripture & science.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CurtTN View Post
    Excellent points Joel. I would add that not only are the hills covered and collecting sea life, but as the ocean floor subsides and some rises up to form new land and mountains,then these "new mountains" are formed from "old sea bottoms". As to the shape of the Ark I don't know but since God designed it, and personally called all the animals to it and then personally closed the door, I would bet He had it safely in His hands the whole time and so no evil could befall it.

Good thread.
    Exactly.

Nicely summarized Curt.

Aside...the Ark was a 'type' of Jesus. All in Him ( the ark ) rest...

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest" Matt 11

Rest in Christ ?

http://www.gotquestions.org/in-Christ.html

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

I see, thanks for clarifying friend. although I completely understand what you are saying, I must humbly add a small *caveat.

But first , I have no problem with any man who does not, or cannot agree -to this perspective- even after investigation. If you know the Gospel, and know Jesus, this issue is secondary for you. But if issues in Genesis are stopping you from finding Jesus, read on.

*In my minds eye, I am having trouble seeing how folks can "separate" 1 & 6 like this, as they are intended to go together, but yet are very different. They are talking about completly two different things. Gen 1 being the "macro-view" and Gen 6 "zooming" in a little.

Anyone is more than welcome to deny the physical reality of Gen 6 [what it plainly says & means, that being, that a global flood wiped out all of mankind and all land animals from the earth except for the Mighty 8 and what was on the Ark.] but their or my belief does not necessarily make it true. The truth is there. Sitting. Waiting to be discovered.

Either there was global flood or there was not. It's relatively simple. Where do you stand on this?

Do you really see no evidence for a global flood?

Creatures and vegetation entombed & solidified mud, turning to fossils all over the globe?

Global flood legends of amazing similarity?

Fossil fuels? (massive amounts buried organic material)

The list goes on & on.

The world does not end when we change our view on this.

But it does get a whole lot clearer.

My mission, btw, is not to cause strife with the elect, nor drive away unbelievers, but to simply show another view that completely compliments scripture & science.
    And I'm all about gadflying

I don't think anyone's separating Genesis 1 and 6, or 'denying the physical reality' of the latter account. You suggested that 'Some don't do this [use the bible as their baseline]', but I think that no matter your view on the flood, if you're Christian then you're using the bible to inform your view in some capacity, whatever view that is. If that view disagrees with mine, then I'll make sure I understand it before going at it from my understanding and assailing it accordingly, e.g. 'your view denies the text...'

Blog Entries

As the waters rose, scenes like this would have been common. Some did not survived. Some animals did not survive. Many were buried in the sediment and are now the fossils we find.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Water can be terrifyingly powerful.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Now, ignoring the bad behaviour of the people in this, (they drive the poor lion to a possible death, ) you can just imagine how many animals got swept to their deaths and consequently, turned into fossils during the great flood of Noah.

Skip to 28 secs...

Last edited by bluesky22; Jul 23rd 2016 at 04:21 AM.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

I would love to read what a non literal commentary of Genesis says. Anyone know of any? If it does not mean what it seems to be saying, what is it saying ?

I wonder what this means?

The Wickedness of Man
    6The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them." 8But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. Gen. 6

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Blog Entries

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

I would love to read what a non literal commentary of Genesis says. Anyone know of any? If it does not mean what it seems to be saying, what is it saying ?

I wonder what this means?

The Wickedness of Man
    6The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them." 8But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. Gen. 6
    What do you think a 'non literal' commentary on Genesis would say about the above?

Thread Information