Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trump in for a wake-up call when he takes office, Obama says

Trump in for a wake-up call when he takes office, Obama says

By Roberta Rampton | WASHINGTON

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1390HL

President-elect Donald Trump is in for a quick wake-up call when he confronts the enormous responsibilities and realities of his new job on Jan. 20, President Barack Obama said with sympathy on Monday.

In a news conference at the White House, Obama said the freewheeling Trump could not be as outspoken as he was during the long and bitter campaign that ended last week with the Republican's surprise win over Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Subdued and carefully choosing his words, Obama gave what appeared to be dispassionate advice to his successor free of much of the partisan rancor that marked the election campaign.

"This office has a way of waking you up," Obama said. "Those aspects of his positions or predispositions that don't match up with reality, he will find shaken up pretty quick because reality has a way of asserting itself."

The two men met in the Oval Office last week to begin the transition of power. Obama said on Monday he believed Trump would be pragmatic in office and not approach the country's problems from an ideological perspective.

"There are going to be certain elements of his temperament that will not serve him well, unless he recognizes them and corrects them," said Obama.

"Because when you're a candidate and you say something that is inaccurate or controversial it has less impact than it does when you're president of the United States. Everybody around the world is paying attention. Markets move," he said.

Obama declined to wade into a controversy over Trump's appointment of right-wing firebrand Stephen Bannon as his chief strategist, saying it would "not be appropriate" for him to comment on Trump's appointments.

But Obama, who criticized Trump's temperament during the campaign, said it was important for Trump to send signals of unity after the hard-fought campaign. He said the political gifts that allowed the Republican to execute his upset of Clinton would be put to good use in the White House.

Democrats, civil rights groups and even some Republicans slammed Trump for choosing Bannon as a key aide, saying it would elevate the white nationalist movement into the top levels of the White House.

Making his first appointments since last week's upset win, Trump picked Bannon as his chief strategist and counselor, and Washington insider Reince Priebus as his chief of staff on Sunday, saying the two would share the task of steering his administration as "equal partners."

The choice of Priebus was seen as a conciliatory signal of Trump's willingness to work with Congress after he takes office. But critics blasted the selection of Bannon, who spearheaded a shift of the Breitbart News website into a forum for the "alt-right," a loose online group of neo-Nazis, white supremacists and anti-Semites.

"There should be no sugarcoating the truth here: Donald Trump just invited a white nationalist into the highest reaches of the government," said Democratic Senator Jeff Merkley, who called on Trump to rescind the choice.

Democrats and advocacy groups on the left called Bannon a promoter of racism and misogyny who is backed by the white supremacist group the Ku Klux Klan.

"It is a sad day when a man who presided over the premier website of the ‘alt-right’- a loose-knit group of white nationalists and unabashed anti-Semites and racists - is slated to be a senior staff member in the ‘people’s house'," said Jonathan Greenblatt, head of the Anti-Defamation League.

The Democrats' leader in the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, said Bannon's appointment sent "an alarming signal that President-elect Trump remains committed to the hateful and divisive vision that defined his campaign."

(Additional reporting by Steve Holland; Writing by John Whitesides; Editing by Frances Kerry and Alistair Bell)

Blog Entries

Re: Trump in for a wake-up call when he takes office, Obama says

Maybe the dems should host a cry-in?
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

I thought it was weird that according to The President to be Trump, The Supreme Court already settled gay marriage, but not abortion. I didn't vote for him, and I am glad. I can see at the very least, what he stated makes no logical sense, unless you want to hear something else.

As far as President Obama saying anything? Don't understand it. We will all lie in the bed that has been made, regardless.
    If it is a racist President--- so that is what the people want.
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
    I thought it was weird that according to The President to be Trump, The Supreme Court already settled gay marriage, but not abortion. I didn't vote for him, and I am glad. I can see at the very least, what he stated makes no logical sense, unless you want to hear something else.

As far as President Obama saying anything? Don't understand it. We will all lie in the bed that has been made, regardless.
    Well its not like gay weddings are killing infants.....

They should all be state issues in my opinion.

Trump is not a racist. His past is full of diversity. Don't let the liberal lies get their claws in you. More blacks and Hispanics voted for Trump than voted for Romney. Maybe some are waking up and realizing the democrats are all about lip service. Maybe they are seeing the intolerance of the left, from main stream media to college campuses.

Nevertheless, what people want is less government in their lives. Jobs. Security. Etc.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

I think actions speak louder than words, and I don't think Trump is racist, or at least not very much. His history seems to indicate that he was willing to hire a lot of minorities if they were great workers, before people in similar businesses were willing to do the same.

He may have appeal to some racist voters, but really this story is old and dated. How many people are really racist anymore? There will always be some, of all colors, but it's less and less. There is a huge difference IMO between how much racism people believe exists, and to what degree people actually hold racist views. For example recent surveys suggest the people see racism as a bigger problem than before. But in the US general social survey, the proportion of people who believe, for example, that segregation is a good idea, was already so tiny by 1985 that they dropped the question 30 years ago due to no statistical significance.

So people really are less racist according to data and anecdotally IMO (I don't think I know a single one), however those same people evidently believe that society as a whole is very racist. It's the same kind of thing where 90% of people rate themselves as above average. The racism story sells newspaper, lets you sound sophisticated around people, and makes you feel good about finding a really easy villainous idea to attack, with no risk to yourself. It's a perfect narrative that people love to gobble up.

Blog Entries

Here's an op-ed on our biased media...

When will the elite liberal media learn that President-Elect Donald J. Trump will never submit to their bullying or harassment? Has the left learned nothing from its colossal humiliation?

The collective disgust the liberal media regurgitated on cue, upon learning Trump appointed Steve Bannon as Chief Strategist and Senior Counselor prove they still don’t get it. Trump didn’t run a campaign based on caring what the liberal media thinks, nor did the Americans who voted for him. In fact Trump, won one of the biggest upsets in election history, despite the media being in the tank, hook line and sinker, for Hillary Clinton.

Oozing with bias and ignorance, the liberal media mob called Bannon “a white supremacist, fascist, and neo-Nazi,” the same names they hurled at Trump. We see how that worked out. There’s been no shortage of screeching from liberals that Breitbart News, the news site run by Bannon, is a “racist hate site,” which is utterly ludicrous.

Mocking leftwing lunacy of “safe spaces, cultural appropriation,” and highlighting the problem of illegal aliens killing Americans, among other atrocities, Breitbart is actually the alternative to the race-baiting, politically correct, cop-hating, white-people shaming news outlets like CNN, New York Times and the Washington Post. People are sick of all this crap and the election of Trump was a repudiation of President Barack Obama’s divisive, costly, no-growth agenda.

Haughty liberal journalists and politicos arrogantly thought that Trump wouldn’t reward his loyalists like Bannon who helped him win. (Like Hillary wouldn’t have done exactly the same thing.) This goes back to the fact that the liberal media refuses to come to terms with the reality that they have lost their political influence and power. A new commander in chief has arrived in Washington and he’s not playing by their liberal hypocrisy playbook. There will be no softening of Trump!

The mercurial Trump named Washington insider RNC Chairman Reince Priebus as his Chief of Staff to strengthen his relationship with House Speaker Paul Ryan, and move his agenda forward in a GOP-controlled Congress. But make no mistake, Trump will never abandon the people who voted for him or the people who helped him win. The more the liberal media doubles down in trying to delegitimize his presidency, the more resolute Trump becomes to do things on his terms.

As liberal reporters accuse Trump of bigotry, let’s not forget the ones exhibiting the most reprehensible behavior toward the President-Elect.

After Obama’s historic election, remember the outrage the liberal media expressed when people said racist things comparing America’s first black president to a gorilla and such? So much for the liberal media being watchdogs of decency and respect for the office of the presidency when they can’t get their guy, I mean girl, I mean woman, elected.

What the liberal media refuses to accept is that people like white nationalist David Duke, who voted for Trump, are outliers. The majority of white voters who helped Trump win were Democrat, working class, union-card-carrying Americans, living in blue states, who voted Republican for the first time in their lives. These aren’t racists; but rather, people who want to work again, not cling to empty promises of hope and change.
    -Crystal Wright

When Trump is being accused of racism, it's the 'new' racism: he's a white man, with power, and privilege, who commits microaggressions, and says things that aren't PC. He's racist simply by virtue of being a white man. I have to agree with the above: he's not a racist; he's not a xenophobe; he's not a homophobe, or transphobe. He's got a lot of problems, and the media character assassination isn't one of them (and do the real disservice from distracting what those real problems are).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    When Trump is being accused of racism, it's the 'new' racism: he's a white man, with power, and privilege, who commits microaggressions, and says things that aren't PC. He's racist simply by virtue of being a white man. I have to agree with the above: he's not a racist; he's not a xenophobe; he's not a homophobe, or transphobe. He's got a lot of problems, and the media character assassination isn't one of them (and do the real disservice from distracting what those real problems are).
    I was told by the liberal elite that simply voting for Trump was a hate crime.

Obama made being President look simple and fun. He was always on vacation.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Obama made being President look simple and fun. He was always on vacation.
    He was your President? I thought he was a celebrity... Ever other night on Jimmy Fallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    He was your President? I thought he was a celebrity... Ever other night on Jimmy Fallon.
    He did seem more like a celebrity.

Even Michelle Obama was on Jimmy Fallon.

Who will run for President next? The Rock?
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

It makes perfect sense if you actually think about what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    He did seem more like a celebrity.

Even Michelle Obama was on Jimmy Fallon.

Who will run for President next? The Rock?
    She cleaned up good for Fallon.
    Looks a lot better than her typical appearance. http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...ma-hideous.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NHL Fever View Post
    I think actions speak louder than words, and I don't think Trump is racist, or at least not very much. His history seems to indicate that he was willing to hire a lot of minorities if they were great workers, before people in similar businesses were willing to do the same.
    I actually think Trump will say anything to get a rise out of someone, or to get support from someone.
    So even if he appoints someone who really is a racist, or appoints someone who burned political offices with their bizarre beliefs, that is what makes news, that is what keeps others off the magazine covers because he did the unthinkable.

If that means people will think he is racist, or anything else, at least they will be talking about him.
    He doesn't care what people say about him because he wins either way. He is slightly dishonest by being the persona he wishes to extend at the time to a great extent and I think he did call it: He could do almost anything and would not lose supporters because that is the way his life has been.

He knows that if he says something enough times, like that he is a Christian, people will start to believe him. That doesn't mean he has ever apologized to God or anyone else, or ever will.

When I do get my own talking about him out of the way, there will be no more energy returning to him when it is complete.

He may have appeal to some racist voters, but really this story is old and dated.
    That was his aim. He manipulated the masses to do for him without him even lifting a finger-- just using the same rhetoric spilled out by the extreme right wingers (mostly white men and some women) to paint the picture that he understood them, but he does not care to understand anyone, just to win, and once again, it was proven to him that his tactics work and that is what matters.
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    She cleaned up good for Fallon.
    Looks a lot better than her typical appearance. http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...ma-hideous.jpg
    And Trump has done the same thing. IE: Berate a woman's physical appearance as if that is where her only worth lies.
    There are a lot of men out there that admire him because they do the same thing that he does and feel satisfied, even justified in doing so.
    Women were created FOR men, after all.

It shows me how powerless he really feels to have to lower himself to make crude insults about women.
    Peace to you!

Thread Information