Thread: How do I love God?(moved from CE subforum)

How do I love God?(moved from CE subforum)

I have asked God to come into my heart numerous times over the years. And when I did I usually felt better but fell back to my old ways. Maybe I was just being selfish and needed help at the time and then I turned my back on him (hard to admit but it's true and sounds bad). I see Christians who I can tell really love God and talk about it. I just never really felt love. Maybe I don't know what love is. I know I love my son and that is a very strong love.

Maybe I am expecting everything to happen immediately? I do want a relationship with God. I hear others talk about the relationship part. I prayed for God to show me how to have a relationship and I think the answer is I need to pray and read the Bible routinely and not just when things are bad? But sometimes God seems silent. I do know all my prayers will never be answered in the same fashion as I never give my child everything he wants. I just want to feel his love and love him back. It's frustrating. I see and hear about people being saved and how their lives changed instantly. Nothing is happening instantly with me.

Re: How do I love God?(moved from CE subforum)

** Modstaff note**

MSC71,
    Please limit your posts to the Christian Answers subforum.
    Please read the sticky-posts in that subforum for more info.
    If you have any questions about where to post and why, feel welcomed to start a post in the Chat-To-Moderators subforum.
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry so much those who are changed instantly. They can change back instantly as well. Love is more about steadfastness than a momentary emotional feeling. You might try some music. Praise and worship music certainly can set the tone for a connection to God. That is why music comes first at church. God blesses us after we bless him.

1 Samuel 16:23 And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him.

In 2 Kings 3, the Israelites are about to fight the Moabites and they were without water. So they called for a prophet to hear from God as to what to do. The first thing the prophet Elisha did was call for a musician. THEN the word of the Lord came to him. This may not be exactly what you are asking about, but it is worth a try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MSC71 View Post
    I have asked God to come into my heart numerous times over the years. And when I did I usually felt better but fell back to my old ways. Maybe I was just being selfish and needed help at the time and then I turned my back on him (hard to admit but it's true and sounds bad). I see Christians who I can tell really love God and talk about it. I just never really felt love. Maybe I don't know what love is. I know I love my son and that is a very strong love.

Maybe I am expecting everything to happen immediately? I do want a relationship with God. I hear others talk about the relationship part. I prayed for God to show me how to have a relationship and I think the answer is I need to pray and read the Bible routinely and not just when things are bad? But sometimes God seems silent. I do know all my prayers will never be answered in the same fashion as I never give my child everything he wants. I just want to feel his love and love him back. It's frustrating. I see and hear about people being saved and how their lives changed instantly. Nothing is happening instantly with me.
    I don't know about the specifics of your life but I can give you a general answer.

The Bible says - The righteous shall live by faith.

Meaning, not by feelings.

However......

If you start to believe what God says about you, that He loves you, and practice this faith, for instance by thanking Him for His love for you (action out of faith) you are stepping into a relationship with Him. He already declared His love for you by His word, the Bible and now it's your turn to show faith (just believe what the Bible says and make it your own) and walk in that faith and the feelings will come by itself sooner or later as for instance promised in Philippians 4:7

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I just never really felt love.

I knew a gal in Japan who once told me that she had felt bad occasionally in her life, but never bad enough to try something like religion. I thought this comment showed how many people view religion, as a therapeutic balm.

Christianity is different in that faith (trust) establishes a new life (regeneration) that begins a process of transfer from walking by the flesh to living by the Spirit.

Most people consider “love” to be various feelings of affection, desire, and a heightened state of emotional sensation. The bible gives a definition of love;

Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil; rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

I think a better simple description of love is “selflessness”

Jesus said that all who were “of the truth” would hear his voice. When a person comes to God in truth, he begins a path towards humility. As we learn more about who God is and who we are, we cannot do anything but grow in humility. This opens the door to more grace (James 4). As we grow in alignment with truth we can draw nearer to God.

As we grow in our understanding of God, we can trust in him more and more. When we can turn ourselves over to his care, we are able to grow close enough to begin to understand his will for us.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service. And be not fashioned according to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, and ye may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God. - Romans 12:1-2

The bible teaches that we demonstrate the love of God within us by keeping his commandments, which are to love him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength; and to love our neighbor as ourselves. We love God when we turn (repent) from our sin and love one another as a reflection of his son Jesus in this dark world.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

Blog Entries

Once you receive God you need to understand that God loves you no more or no less by your own efforts. It is He who is in us who has fulfilled the Law; we can not do better than Him. Abide in Him and He will take care of all your spiritual needs.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC71 View Post

Hereís a good way, for it is the way I found works for me. Love Jesus and you love the Father. Since Jesus is the Word of God, fall in love with His Word. I try to read my Bible three hours a night. Some times I do and some times I donít. But the idea is not to rush through it. Know what each word is saying to you. If you donít know what it means look it up. After you have read it for a while youíll find out you just canít put it down. Thatís when you fall in love with God and Jesus.

Thread Information