Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns

Re: Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Protective Angel View Post
    Wow ... I didn't realize that shooting a shotgun is so expensive. The ammo I found is a dollar a shot.
    Do 410 shells still cost more than 20 and 12 gauge shells?
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Do 410 shells still cost more than 20 and 12 gauge shells?
    Yes ... the cheapest, another .20 a shot more and the brands go up pretty fast as you look.

20 and 12 are .95 for cheapest.
    410 is 1.15 a shot for cheapest, but they climb in price faster, depending on brand.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. John 20:29

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Rom 13:2

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life. James 1:12

We see threads from time to time, pop up with sword = gun thoughts. Guns are indeed for protection and hunting food.

I purchased my first gun and I'm looking for advice. The gun is an SAR K2P 9mm. Made in Turkey for use with NATO. EAA imported these guns back in 2013. All the reviews I've seen are great on the gun.

Thanks in advance.
    They are good pistols for self defense. I have one.

Yes ... the cheapest, another .20 a shot more and the brands go up pretty fast as you look.

20 and 12 are .95 for cheapest.
    410 is 1.15 a shot for cheapest, but they climb in price faster, depending on brand.
    I usually pay less than 20 cents per shell for 12 or 20.

Thank you
    The "decision" was more like a voice. As you stated, you have been aware of my status on gun ownership. I've never needed any and someday I probably would. About 2 weeks ago, It just suddenly came to me that I needed a gun. I don't see anything that could have triggered (no pun intended) the idea. The message just entered my mind. Like a small still voice.

I've been doing just as you say. Reading and studying. Mostly on kickback. Certain manufactures actually make smaller loads. Armscor seems to have what I'm looking for and in my price range.

Like the Bible, your statement rings very true. "Never assume you know all there is to know and have nothing left to learn."
    I like to watch videos on YouTube. There is a wealth of information out there by real experts and a video gives you the opportunity to visually see a proper grip, proper trigger technique and so on. I have also read many articles and watched many video reviews on different guns which I find very interesting. I like facts and figures.

You know, as a teenager I was able to shoot .22 and 12 gauge on occasion because friends had them once I moved to where I live now but never did growing up. Then in 2005 I started shooting pistols at the range with some guys I worked with. One of the guys gave me a gun, but I gave it back after a few weeks. Why? Because I wasn't comfortable having a gun in the home! In 2011, at my wife's urging we bought a pistol. We took someone with us who knew about them and about shooting. I then began to learn and haven't stopped since. The thing is, from that point on, I wouldn't be comfortable not having a gun in the home. My wife has her own gun as do I - I've had quite a few actually - and we both have our CHL.

It was a transition for me as it was for you. I think you did just fine coming to this place where you are now.

Excellent advice throughout the thread. Everything I would have said has already been said except for a couple of things. I will only mention one at this time. If you are shooting a rifle, or handgun, the shot should surprise you. Squeeze the trigger slowly so that when the gun fires, it is a surprise. In this way, you will shoot much more accurately and precisely.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Lower Rio Grande Valley of the far, far south of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Excellent advice throughout the thread. Everything I would have said has already been said except for a couple of things. I will only mention one at this time. If you are shooting a rifle, or handgun, the shot should surprise you. Squeeze the trigger slowly so that when the gun fires, it is a surprise. In this way, you will shoot much more accurately and precisely.
    I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Oh, there it is! In post #5!

3. Trigger control. Slowly pull the trigger. Don't jerk it. The gun going off should surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    In others words... be prepared for when it fires.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Rom 13:2

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life. James 1:12

In others words... be prepared for when it fires.
    Yes but no. If you sense the gun is about to fire, your body may recoil from the recoil. You don't want to react before the gun goes off. You need to be prepared for it to go off at any moment. But if you anticipate the kick, you may pull the trigger too hard and that will cause you to make a less than perfect shot.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by TCassidy View Post
    I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Oh, there it is! In post #5!

Missed that part of your post. I thought I had read it all. BTW, you gave very good advice to PA.

Happy shooting!
    NASU

Teaching the weapon going off should surprise you has been abandoned by most instructors. The best shooters know exactly when their weapon will fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Teaching the weapon going off should surprise you has been abandoned by most instructors. The best shooters know exactly when their weapon will fire.
    I can feel the last 3/32 inch of travel in my S&W and my M4

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Ward's Hip View Post
    I can feel the last 3/32 inch of travel in my S&W and my M4
    How well do like your M4?

How well do like your M4?
    Love it..........

Lower Rio Grande Valley of the far, far south of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Yes, and no. It takes extreme familiarity with your sidearm to know exactly when the trigger will break. That comes from (years of?) practice with the same hand gun.

I was talking to a relatively new shooter with a new hand gun. It should surprise him.

My Firearms CV:
    US Army firearms instructor.
    SDSO Deputy.
    FBI/Infragard, Chief of Sector, Defense Industrial Base, CIPP/NIPP.
    San Diego Police Range Firearms instructor, firing line coach, Range Safety Officer.
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
    IFPO Board Certified Protection Officer.
    IFPO Board Certified Close Protection Agent.
    California Department of Justice Certified Firearms Safety Instructor.
    (Very rare) California Concealed Carry License (former).
    California Open Carry License (former).
    Texas License to Carry (Concealed and Open).
    Arizona Concealed Carry License.
    Florida Concealed Carry License.
    Utah Concealed Carry License.

Thread Information