Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guns

Re: Guns

Quote Originally Posted by TCassidy View Post
    Yes, and no. It takes extreme familiarity with your sidearm to know exactly when the trigger will break. That comes from (years of?) practice with the same hand gun.

I was talking to a relatively new shooter with a new hand gun. It should surprise him.

My Firearms CV:
    US Army firearms instructor.
    SDSO Deputy.
    FBI/Infragard, Chief of Sector, Defense Industrial Base, CIPP/NIPP.
    San Diego Police Range Firearms instructor, firing line coach, Range Safety Officer.
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
    IFPO Board Certified Protection Officer.
    IFPO Board Certified Close Protection Agent.
    California Department of Justice Certified Firearms Safety Instructor.
    (Very rare) California Concealed Carry License (former).
    California Open Carry License (former).
    Texas License to Carry (Concealed and Open).
    Arizona Concealed Carry License.
    Florida Concealed Carry License.
    Utah Concealed Carry License.
    My experience is limited to SWAT instructor and competitive shooter. I can guarantee you that the trend has shifted. The fastest shooters in the world today actually pull the triggers very hard and very fast. I actually tap the trigger on my race gun. Granted, that is a whole other animal, but we have been training recruits at the department for years now on how to find the trigger break point.

Lower Rio Grande Valley of the far, far south of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Granted, that is a whole other animal, but we have been training recruits at the department for years now on how to find the trigger break point.
    Yes, that's my point. A brand new shooter with a brand new pistol. He will be (and should be with proper trigger control) surprised until he learns to feel the trigger reach the break point.

Quote Originally Posted by TCassidy View Post
    Yes, that's my point. A brand new shooter with a brand new pistol. He will be (and should be with proper trigger control) surprised until he learns to feel the trigger reach the break point.
    Yep. Funny thing is, if I can get a shooter who has never developed bad habits, I can teach him/her to be an expert marksman before they ever fire a live round. Dry fire, then compressed air operated laser, then 22lr conversion, then by the time they actually shoot 9mm in their weapon they usually score high 90 percent first time. It is amazing to play back for them in the laser simulator how much the poi moves as they squeeze the trigger.

Just 6 days and will be 1 month since I applied for my FOID card. Getting an itchy finger (some pun intended).

Shop still has gun, so no issues there. Already prepaid on my next gun.

7-GJXR21801sdd.jpg
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. John 20:29

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Rom 13:2

Fear not that which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him
    which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matt 10:28

Quote Originally Posted by Protective Angel View Post
    Just 6 days and will be 1 month since I applied for my FOID card.
    The People's Republic of Illinois. A wholly owned subsidiary of Michael J. Madigan, Rex.

Good advice here. I would add Protective Angel, that:

* while focusing on front site post tip or circle or... as you line it up on target that you also maintain a critical secondary focus of where the rear sight is and learn to simultaneously adjust so that the line from your eyeball to target has BOTH sights inline,
    ** develop your own comfortable firing stance(s) from the fundamental position which you can consistently and quickly move into,
    *** develop a consistent "sighting picture" which is what the eye(s) aligns as sighting in on target. Most, if not all, like to align tip of front post in middle of rear post "v" but the alignment vertically varies. Some like to put tip at bottom of "v" and others directly inline with top horizontal line of top edge of rear post. The later is more challenging but affords the shooter to see more of target esp if they are moving which could save your life. If you are shooting at targets so what but if aiming at and restraining someone who would shoot back and kill you if they got a chance; it makes a diff.
    **** the CONSISTANCY word keeps popping up. It is critical for developing an accurate shot when you need it/them to save your and your loved ones lives. Practice, practice, practice. If you don't use it you lose it.
    ***** And,....if you are not now already rationally and emotionally and spiritually prepared to kill another human being to protect yourself you will hesitate before pulling the trigger for such a contemplation which could get you killed. Remember, that once you pull your gun out, loaded or not, the other party instantly becomes justified in responding to you with deadly force, also. Make sure you know your state's legalities concerning the use of firearms for protection. This could be an invaluable asset in strategizing your approach to and behavior in a conflict.

Many, many shooting incidents could have been avoided with the implementation of anti-climatic social interaction, development of other self-defense strategies and tactics, and avoiding high risk areas. If you shoot someone and watch them die you will ask yourself, regardless of who or what they were, is there something else I could have done.

Blog Entries

I grew up with shotguns as we hunting squirrel's (Dad, brother's, Uncle's, brother's and me).

First time I bought a hand gun I was so scared of it that I held it straight to the side of my body until I became confident with it.

My Father taught me gun safety with a shotgun like crossing a bared wire fence with a laoded shotgun, he said break the breach.

I got my first rifle, a Winchester single shot .22 lr when I was 8.

I got my first pistol, a Ruger Single Six .22 lr when I was 12.

Dad was a hard taskmaster when it came to gun safety, but what he taught me is still with me 65 years later. So far, so good.

My new favorite:

Image is not of the 33 cal but nearly identical. Thomson Commander. Interchangeable barrels.

Scoped, actually.

Thread Information