Thread: Local church

Local church

Two questions.

1. What three things would you change about your experience in your local church?

2. What practical actions can you take in the next three months to cause those changes?
    Some people are offended that the Sovereign God, because He loved man so much and wanted to be in an intimate relationship with his creation, gave Man a free will to respond to God's grace, offered to all. They are offended that God is God as God chooses to be, not as they choose for God to be.

Blog Entries

Re: Local church

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Ward's Hip View Post
    Two questions.

1. What three things would you change about your experience in your local church?

2. What practical actions can you take in the next three months to cause those changes?
    Great questions. Let me think on this.

EDIT: I would like to see more community outreach with the Gospel and more Creationism based education, ( at least present the option ) [ you could have guess that one ] I have seen a few attempts over the years to change the direction/focus of some churches and it was hard on many people. Always worth trying tho. Perhaps tho, sometimes, it may be better to change churches that are closer to ones personal convictions, idk. There are so many different perspectives within the body, each one thinking they have the correct priorities , its a daunting exercise, at times imho. I do try to do what I can do. Blogs, forums, flyers, tracks....
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Blog Entries

More opportunities for people to exercise their spiritual gifts, whether to interrupt with a prayer request, a testimony, a teaching that is particularly relevant to those present, or a discernment that something presented seems out of harmony with a sound understanding of the Bible. (Chop that up into three parts if you like.) I plan to take no actions to implement changes except to continue to chat with and perhaps challenge church members on certain issues, since a healthy church requires that individual members are mature enough to discern what is good. Without enough mature people in place, relaxing the traditional leadership model will simply allow the group to end up in the ditch of the loudest members' favorite teachings.

A greater concentration on getting our members to serve those outside of the church. Local missions with the intentional focus of discipleship of believers through service.

I would change three things:
    1) Introduce a strong interest in specifically identifying each gift of every believer in any manner associated with that congregation. After identifying their gift, be strongly supportive to assist each person to use their gifts. Everyone should know their gift and be labelled according to their gift. Anyone who's gift has not been clearly discovered, this is due to the elders not fulfilling their most basic of purposes.
    2) Eliminate the hierarchy of pastor then elders. In the bible a pastor was just another word for a shepherd. The label "shepherd" and the label "elder" were both used for the same people. ie the elders had a secondary label called "shepherd". The introduction of a single leader called "pastor" is biblically incorrect, the early church was always led by a group of elders/shepherds. In some cases (eg Timothy) there was a single elder while the new church was still developing disciples mature enough to join the eldership team.
    3) The reduction of responsibilities of the eldership/shepherd team. The church should be a simple organisation where there are a couple of elders who teach and encourage their congregation to explore their gifts and also disciple them in the ways of God. Through the church exercising their gifts the full range of needs of the church/community are fulfilled by God who will give the correct range of gifts to the congregation.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't change a thing.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Ward's Hip View Post
    Two questions.

One thing mainly. I would take a hammer and chisel and remove the words Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc. from the facades. There is only one Christ.

I don't want to go to jail. So, no plans for action.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    One thing mainly. I would take a hammer and chisel and remove the words Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc. from the facades. There is only one Christ.

Excellent idea. I consider myself non-demominatiomal as well. Although I go to a Baptist church.

I am not asking on behalf of them alone, but also on behalf of those who will believe in Me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one John 17

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post

Others are commenting on this and I'd like to toss in my 2 cents.

The Corinthians were doing this. Claiming to be of Cephas or Paul or Apollos. One group seemed to rise above and say they followed Christ. Paul corrected them all though including the Christ group.

I think it's about attitude. Labels are not inherently wrong. If I move, I know I will fit better with some churches than others. I don't have to feel superior though because of that. My theology is Reformed. So I know by name many churches that won't agree. My theology is Baptist. So while I would agree with an Orthodox Presbyterian Church or Presbyterian Chuch of America on the Reformed issues, I know they baptize infants. I'll fit best in a Reformed Baptist Chuch. Doesn't make me better. Doesn't make them better. Doesn't make me or that church correct. I might be wrong. But if I move to a town with 100 churches, labels save me a lot of Sundays wasting my time at all non-denominational churches finding which teach what things.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post

The Corinthians were doing this. Claiming to be of Cephas or Paul or Apollos. One group seemed to rise above and say they followed Christ. Paul corrected them all though including the Christ group.

I think it's about attitude. Labels are not inherently wrong. If I move, I know I will fit better with some churches than others. I don't have to feel superior though because of that. My theology is Reformed. So I know by name many churches that won't agree. My theology is Baptist. So while I would agree with an Orthodox Presbyterian Church or Presbyterian Chuch of America on the Reformed issues, I know they baptize infants. I'll fit best in a Reformed Baptist Chuch. Doesn't make me better. Doesn't make them better. Doesn't make me or that church correct. I might be wrong. But if I move to a town with 100 churches, labels save me a lot of Sundays wasting my time at all non-denominational churches finding which teach what things.
    Excellent points. I agree. "Labels" have their place. Statements of believe are good tools to.

I currently attend an independent evangelical fellowship but have been a member of the Methodist Movement and later in a Pentecostal fellowship. I've also attended services in other denominational fellowships. What I judge fellowships by is the teaching of the gospel and whether the teach anything contrary to biblical teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    Excellent idea. I consider myself non-demominatiomal as well. Although I go to a Baptist church.

I am not asking on behalf of them alone, but also on behalf of those who will believe in Me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one John 17
    Exactly. One church. One people. One Christ. That God may be all in all.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post

I think you are right overall. I would just ask where all the different "theologies" came from. They came from man. Theologians are some of the most lost people on earth, imo. Much of what they write has no real basis in faith, which is to be expected since their credibility comes from the wisdom of this world. Every denomination is following the specific teachings of its founders, building a church in their own image. They are all following man. Just as the Corinthians had begun to do. Lutherans follow Luther. That is no different than the Corinthians saying they followed Cephas or Apollos.

However, I do understand moving to a new area and looking for a church. I wouldn't consider going to a Methodist church as it would likely bore me to sleep. Also, one real positive of many different churches is the fact that a small group of corrupt leaders cannot take over the Protestant church as a whole, like the Catholic church. But, in the end, there will be no denominations in heaven.

One last point. I have found in my own life that I never really knew Christ until I studied the scriptures for myself. I was really just a cultural Christian most of my life, but didn't know it. Going to church once a week, with nothing in between, is like being spiritual life support. "Those who diligently seek Me will find Me." This is so true. No church can do this for each individual. We must seek Him for ourselves, and there, we will truly find Him. Churches are good for introducing the basics to people and for fellowship. The really deep wisdom comes from God thru a diligent personal relationship.
    Last edited by Tony P; Feb 1st 2017 at 10:14 PM.

An awful lot. As a rule, the focus must be much more outward.

Blog Entries

I used to be a pastor before and during the early struggles with cancer about 30 years ago. Currently I only write as I have had 20+ years just to study the Bible and deliver a teaching every now and then, when I am up to it. But that happens mainly when people visit us. Or when I write something as an article or book. The one thing that I have found missing in every person in church is to live like a Christian 24/7. And when you talk about it at a general meeting, everybody sneaks out and return to their normal life, just to be seen next week at the meeting again, with no changes. We must become disciples, and that is to live like Him on a daily basis, but 90%+ of Christians do not even know what that life is like.

People download my books at a rate of 250+ per month for free from my website, but are not even willing to pay 1 cent for it, as on Amazon and Kindle I have sold maybe 8 books over 7 years, and promotions there people will download 100+ per day if it is free.

So People must live like Christians, and look after those who cannot support themselves. Sorry for two pictures but I cannot find a way to remove it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shama - A primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively to tell, etc.): - X attentively, call (gather) together, X carefully, X certainly, consent, consider, be content, declare, X diligently, discern, give ear, (cause to, let, make to) hear (-ken, tell), X indeed, listen, make (a) noise, (be) obedient, obey, perceive, (make a) proclaim (-ation), publish, regard, report, shew (forth), (make a) sound, X surely, tell, understand, whosoever [heareth], witness

Thread Information